Correction: Donatas Motiejunas didn’t accuse Howard and Harden of not eating with Rockets teammates

Aug 9, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Yesterday, I relay a reported quote from Donatas Motiejunas about Dwight Howard and James Harden. The quote was transcribed in a since-deleted tweet from Simonas Baranauskas:

D-Mo on relationships with Howard and Harden: “Hi & bye. They even eat separately from the team. Usually in some fast food place.”

After deleting the aforementioned tweet, Baranauskas tweeted:

That – hopefully correct-this-time – transcription is obviously very different, but the exact translation might be inconsequential.

Motiejunas, via Jonathan Feigen of Ultimate Rockets:

“The radio show, the guys that work there, make fun of everybody,” Motiejunas, who called from Lithuania said. “It’s a funny radio show. Everybody in Lithuania listens. They told me to try to be funny, try to make the jokes. They told me to be free. They asked some question. I joked about one thing. I joked about the other thing.

“We never have problems,” Motiejunas said. “For example, last year Dwight invited me and other players to Thanksgiving dinner. James and Dwight bought us give us gifts for Christmas. We go to eat most of the all of the time. I talked with Dwight today. I talk to Dwight all the time. He said he understands. Me and Dwight, we communicate pretty good in the locker room. I never had a problem.

I recommend not drawing any conclusions one way or another from this saga. Motiejunas was making jokes, and then he wasn’t, but part of the joking segment was accurate. The lines are far too blurred.

Think whatever you want about Howard and Harden

1. garypagetwo - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM

wow. that’s a big WHO CARES

2. 4thquartermagic - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM

So in Lithuanian Dwight and James are good guys.
    But in English they are egotistical jerks.

Got it.

• mcmystery76 - Aug 9, 2014 at 12:04 PM

It would be the other way around- he was talking about them giving gifts in English.

3. lj312chicago - Aug 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

How to avoid this in the future….GET YOUR OWN QUOTES

4. mikeymo74 - Aug 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM

And of course this post with the correction will get almost no attention compared to the original. People will believe what they want to believe and what confirms their pre-existing bias.

Tony Parker has talked about how Tim Duncan would intentionally ignore him and wouldn’t talk to him at all when he first joined the team. We also know guys like MJ or Kobe were hardly best buds with their teammates. Winning titles changes everything, as LeBron has come to find out.

5. TRO - Aug 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I love how when he breaks a big story its according to my sources, however when that story is wrong he says i relayed a report. Come on take ownership for your slip up.

6. frankyvito - Aug 9, 2014 at 8:02 PM

The lines don’t seem blurred at all. Your original story was inaccurate. That is all.

7. tontoepstein - Aug 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM

The accurate translation was, “Howard and Harden eat out the girlfriends of teammates. But what ya gonna do, this is the NBA, that’s par for the course.”

8. imakcds - Aug 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Houston must have some strong arm gorillas in their publicity dept!
    Even the great Hakeem Olajuwon had to backtrack on truthful comments perceived to be derogatory to Howard after Howard blew off the HOFer’s teachings.

9. myhawks1976 - Aug 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Honestly… this seems like someone got to D-Mo and informed him it would be in his best interests to back track on these comments. and now. “I talk to Dwight all the time. He understands.” In other words…. you got a call from Dwight AFTER this story broke. Now suddenly… your story has changed…. hmmmmm…..???

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches