Report: Cavaliers giving strong consideration to signing E’Twaun Moore

Aug 8, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

E'Twaun Moore, Jonas Valanciunas, Terrence Ross E'Twaun Moore, Jonas Valanciunas, Terrence Ross

If their portion of the Kevin Love trade occurs as reportedincluding the 76ers wouldn’t necessarily affect Cleveland’s roster – the Cavaliers will have 11 players clearly in their plans for next season:

I figure the players acquired from the JazzJohn Lucas III, Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy – will be included in the Love trade or waived. Lucas and Thomas have fully unguaranteed contracts, and Murphy’s is guaranteed just $100,000 – not too much to eat, but enough that him remaining in Cleveland is a possibility.

The Cavaliers want to add Shawn Marion and Ray Allen. But even if they sign both, that still leaves, give or take Murphy, one or two open roster spots. Cleveland can offer nothing but minimum contracts, so the options are thin.

When the Heat had LeBron, they tended to fill the bottom of their roster with over-the-hill veterans. That’s part of the reason Miami ran out of gas at the end of its four-year run.

The Cavaliers are apparently going a different direction, targeting 25-year-old E’Twaun Moore.

David Pick of Eurobasket.com:

I’m not sure which list Moore tops. Players Cleveland can definitely get because there’s no market for them?

The Magic miscast Moore as a point guard before playing him a lot with Victor Oladipo, another miscast point guard. In his third season, Moore showed enough to warrant NBA looks, but he’s not a player who definitely belongs in the league.

The 6-foot-4 Purdue product is a solid spot-up 3-point shooter, and if the Cavaliers ask him to do that in limited minutes – with the open looks LeBron, Love and Irving will create – he should be fine. But if they view him as point guard, they’ll likely be let down. Cleveland needs a backup to Irving, but the solution is someone else. Even in the right role, Moore must improve defensively to carve out a rotation spot.

Moore is not especially inspiring, but he’s gettable, and he could help a little if used right. For the capped-out Cavaliers who are full of top-end talent, that’s enough.

1. calkinsrob - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM

YES! I was thrilled with robbie hummel resigned. I was a little worried that no one would pick up E’twaun. I certainly wouldnt mind seeing him develop under a lebron lead team.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Hard not to root for Hummel… and I say that about a Purdue player when I’m an IU grad…

Go Oladipo

Go Cody

Go Vonleh

• calkinsrob - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I respect IU’s bball program, but it ends there haha. I love Oladipo, but I was pissed because hes probably the main reason the magic didnt resign e’twaun.

2. sportsfan18 - Aug 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM

The Cavs G.M. just sends Bron a text inquiring about a player and then waits for Bron’s reply…

Bron sends a pic via text of either a thumbs up or a thumbs down and the G.M. knows what to do then…

3. zoomy123 - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM

A couple of things:

First, I firmly believe that Matthew Dellavedova is the Cavs back up point guard. He’s a solid PG with nice court vision + awareness, he can hit the spot up 3, and he plays defense. He can be groomed into a Hinrich type player who could be immensely valuable off the bench.

Second, Cleveland would be crazy not to sign Dwight Powell. The Cavs could be getting a diamond in the rough, and should at least give him an opportunity if for no other reason than he’s a big body that could bolster a thin Cavs front court in the future, he’s young, and cheap.

Third, Cleveland should try to use those non-guaranteed contracts to put together a trade package for another perimeter defender or solid role player. (I’m looking at you Shumpert.)

• BrownsTown - Aug 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Why’d you pick a white guy to compare to Dellavedova?

• zoomy123 - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I didn’t mean anything by it, lol. I didn’t even notice it until you pointed it out. I’ve always liked Hinrich and his skill set is so similar to Delly’s that I just compared them.

4. seasickcecil - Aug 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I don’t see Shawn Marion’s name on that list.

5. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM

The rank order of those 11 players is perfect. And in my opinion the top 7 are the ones who can be expected to play meaningful minutes in a playoff series.

6. canadatude - Aug 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Cavs have no bench. Other teams will work that over to beat them. Play LeBron until he wears out again. I feel a cramp coming on. Turn up the air conditioning.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches