Aug 8, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Kevin Durant was going to be a lynchpin of Team USA’s offense at the World Cup, and he has decided to pull out citing physical and mental fatigue.
I jump on the latest PBT Extra with the fantastic Jenna Corrado to talk about what kind of blow this is to Team USA (huge) and what’s really behind it. Durant has played more minutes than anyone the past four years, fatigue can be part of it, as can the Paul George injury, but I still think his new, massive $300 million or more shoe deal sitting on the table gives him a good reason not to take an extra risk right now. Not for this tournament.
As for the future, I have a feeling the days of the biggest stars going all in for secondary events like the World Cup may become a thing of the past. The Olympics — with its huge national and international branding potential — is one thing but these kinds of events are another.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48