NBA jerseys reimagined as soccer uniforms

Aug 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

source:

Yes, they have sleeves. Get past it.

This is a bit of brilliance from Jesse Nunez over at behance.net, where he has taken every NBA team and re-imagined their jerseys as a soccer jersey. That means taking the arena name and making it the sponsor across the front, putting the logo smaller as a crest and making sure you get a star for each title your franchise has won.

I love this. I think the Portland Trail Blazers one above is my favorite but below are a few more that work pretty well, too. Click the link and follow all of them.

Just as a coincidental in-house plug, England’s Barclays Premier League starts the NBC SportsNetwork on Aug. 16, where my Newcastle boys will rise up and shock the world. ProSoccerTalk has been doing some brilliant season previews (you should be reading that site anyway if you’re a soccer fan).

(Hat tip to Yahoo’s Ball Don’t Lie).

source:

source:

source:

source:

1. mackcarrington - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Why do they have to have the players name on the back? That’s the main thing that stops someone like me from buying jerseys.

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Why don’t you want the player’s name on the back? Serious inquiry.

• bigtganks - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Probably because then they’re traded or move on and your jersey is now obsolete and almost unwearable unless they’re a retired legend.

• mackcarrington - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Well, for example if the player whose name you have on your jersey happens to beat his wife senseless in an elevator or something like that, you probably wouldn’t feel too proud to sport that thing around.

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I can feel you on that, mack. Here’s an idea: you can get a custom jersey, pick any number you’d like and put your name on the back, or “fan”, something along those lines.

• mackcarrington - Aug 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM

On the other hand I do regret not owning some original Buffalo Braves jerseys. i wish I had a McAdoo or Randy Smith jersey. Also with me it’s just a matter of personal taste and style. I’m more a fan of teams than I am of players.

• cherubrock11 - Aug 9, 2014 at 7:59 AM

“Who is ‘Fan’? Is he the new Power Forward they picked up in free agency?”

2. fanofthegame79 - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM

It would be interesting to see these without the sleeves as it could give us a possible glance at what future NBA jerseys will look like (if they ever allow sponsor logos on the uniforms). The team logo and the adidas logo would have to be moved in a bit to accommodate he lack of sleeves.

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 8, 2014 at 6:23 PM

*the

3. asimonetti88 - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Sadly this is what jerseys will look like shortly. The Staples corporate logo on the Lakers jersey makes me really shake my head. So ugly.

4. 00maltliquor - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM

SMMFH

5. cbking05 - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I can’t wait until they make volleyball jerseys too

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 8, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Please don’t take away the bikinis!!!!! That’s a major (only?) reason I watch women’s beach volleyball.

6. eugenesaxe1 - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Me love it long time.

7. seattlesuperchronic - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’d rather the team logo be bigger than the sponsor.

8. dondada10 - Aug 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I think it’s important to understand that soccer jerseys have advertisements on them because soccer has so few commercial breaks. There’s really no need for basketball jerseys to have ads. That said, I’m sure somebody is going to respond with an argument that owners are so greedy that they’ll eventually do it. I don’t see it. T.V. money is too good to piss off so many fans.

• mogogo1 - Aug 8, 2014 at 7:34 PM

You’re way too late. The NBA has already announced they’re headed that direction. And the Warriors sleeved jerseys were the opening move to get people accustomed to that part of things. You’ll likely see other teams coming out with theirs shortly–probably initially as their alternate jerseys if nothing else. I’d guess the first ads will be smaller than the team logo to prevent that backlash, but then they’ll just eventually shrink the team logo down a bit every season until it’s dwarfed by the major sponsor.

It’s hideous, but they’ve already said it’s coming.

9. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Many of these are better than the actual jerseys. But sadly, nothing can be done for that Pelicans color scheme.

10. skoivu10 - Aug 9, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I really like the blazers and bulls ones, but the others are horrible

11. nickjackalson - Aug 9, 2014 at 5:40 AM

every once in while capitalism will rear its ugly head to add insult to injury..
    f@* some of the ways of this world

12. ans2034 - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Yuck

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches