Aug 8, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:57 pm: That didn’t take long — it’s official, Team USA has added Rudy Gay to the roster for the rest of the training camp process and he will compete for a roster spot in Spain.
That training camp resumes Aug. 14-16 in Chicago.
As noted in our original story below about how he could be a fit, Gay plays a wing position not unlike Paul George did, Gay defends well, can finish in transition and showed after he was traded to Sacramento last year a much better shooting touch. He’s not going to replace George and Kevin Durant, but he’s a guy who could fill a real need on this roster.
And remember, he was a member of Team USA in Istanbul for the World Championships four years ago.
4:10 pm: Rudy Gay played a nice role for Team USA on its way to the gold medal in the 2010 World Championships — he defends well on the perimeter and he can finish with authority in transition. His play earned Coach Mike Krzyzewski’s trust in 2010 and while his role was limited (less than 14 minutes a night) he averaged 7 points and 2.9 rebounds a game.
Could he help the 2014 Team USA?
He plays the kind of wing position that Paul George did. He’s certainly is no Kevin Durant, but he can provide a little of the scoring that went away (if Gay shoots like he did in Sacramento after the trade last season it would be a big boost).
It’s a possibility, reports friend of the blog Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said that he is considering his options right now, and talking with Coach K, but that they likely will go with the guys they have in camp.
But if someone’s going to be added, Rudy Gay is a name to watch.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15