Aug 7, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than TMZ loves Jay Z/Beyonce marital trouble….
• The only thing anywhere near as hot as LeBron James in Cleveland is Johnny Manziel. And the future savior of the Browns (*cough*) is still a distant second. But the stars almost collided on Thursday when LeBron took his boys to see the Browns practice as they get ready for their first preseason game this weekend. LeBron talked with Browns coach Mike Pettine as well as with Manziel (who is represented by LeBron’s marketing firm).
“He just asked how camp was going,” Pettine said. “You could tell that he’s into it and loves football, a big Browns fan. He said he’ll be at the games when it’s warm and when it’s cold he’ll be watching in his basement.”
There are some things Miami can always offer that Cleveland can’t, not needing to bundle up for a game is one of them.
• Power ranking the best/worst uniforms in the NBA over at CSNWashington.com.
• After watching the Spurs knock them out of the playoffs, Thunder coach Scott Brooks wants his team to increase its assists and move the ball better next season. I bet 2/3 of the coaches in the league say that, and I doubt many have any success. We’ll see if Brooks is the exception.
• One league executive told the Philadelphia Daily News that the Sixers have a “negative effect on the integrity of the NBA.”
• One final bit out of my time with Team USA in Las Vegas, it is Mike Krzyzewski talking about Kyrie Irving: “He’s not been accustomed to playing with guys who are rim runners, and with the shooters. In some respects you create a little tunnel vision of him as a scorer, in this camp he reacquaints himself with lobs, with drive-and-kick, with things he hasn’t been asked to do as much in the past couple years.”
• Kemba Walker is pumped to have someone else who can create their own offense off the bounce in Charlotte. As he should be.
• Michael Beasley went to Los Angeles for some workouts in front of teams last week. While there he rented a car — a Porsche none the less — but he didn’t bother to return it so the rental company had to come and tow it away. And you wonder why teams are lining up to take his talent.
• RIP to Dale Schlueter, an original member of the Portland Trail Blazers from their inaugural season (1970-71), who died of cancer last week at the age of 68.
• Much to the joy of the Orlando brass, Maurice Harkless will not play for Puerto Rico in the FIBA World Cup this summer.
• Hawks’ second round pick Edy Tavares is expected to play next season in Spain.
• Finally, Minnesota’s Zach LaVine with the selfie dunk video.
Jul 2, 2015, 10:34 PM EDT
Sacramento needs to overpay much more than that to lure free agents.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
Lopez is solid, and New York and L.A. need talent after striking out with the big names thus far.
Report: Damian Lillard planning L.A. visit to try to convince LaMarcus Aldridge to re-sign with Blazers
Jul 2, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Interesting wrinkle to the Aldridge free agency saga.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:07 PM EDT
The Wizards will only give up a future second-rounder.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Butler just signed a five-year deal to stay in Chicago.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Toronto makes the list with DeMarre Carroll.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Report: Mavericks and Pacers will discuss Monta Ellis/Roy Hibbert sign-and-trade if Mavs don’t get DeAndre Jordan
Jul 2, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
The Pacers have been shopping Hibbert for a while.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Aldridge doesn’t want to play center.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
It would take an unlikely sign-and-trade to make it happen.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:26 PM EDT
They want to “get it right.”
Jul 2, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
Also, who got overpaid so far?
Jul 2, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Phoenix is clearing cap space to land LaMarcus Aldridge.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Thompson and Cleveland were reportedly nearing $80 million-plus deal yesterday
Jul 2, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
More writing on the wall of LaMarcus Aldridge’s exit
Jul 2, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
Now, can the Spurs get LaMarcus Aldridge to complement him?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Baynes will reportedly get three-year deal with player option
Jul 2, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
Indiana shouldn’t feel good about this, even if it was their best option at this point
Jul 2, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Monroe agreed to a three-year max contract with Bucks
Jul 2, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Atlanta drafted Tavares in 2014
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 52
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 31