Aug 7, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than TMZ loves Jay Z/Beyonce marital trouble….
• The only thing anywhere near as hot as LeBron James in Cleveland is Johnny Manziel. And the future savior of the Browns (*cough*) is still a distant second. But the stars almost collided on Thursday when LeBron took his boys to see the Browns practice as they get ready for their first preseason game this weekend. LeBron talked with Browns coach Mike Pettine as well as with Manziel (who is represented by LeBron’s marketing firm).
“He just asked how camp was going,” Pettine said. “You could tell that he’s into it and loves football, a big Browns fan. He said he’ll be at the games when it’s warm and when it’s cold he’ll be watching in his basement.”
There are some things Miami can always offer that Cleveland can’t, not needing to bundle up for a game is one of them.
• Power ranking the best/worst uniforms in the NBA over at CSNWashington.com.
• After watching the Spurs knock them out of the playoffs, Thunder coach Scott Brooks wants his team to increase its assists and move the ball better next season. I bet 2/3 of the coaches in the league say that, and I doubt many have any success. We’ll see if Brooks is the exception.
• One league executive told the Philadelphia Daily News that the Sixers have a “negative effect on the integrity of the NBA.”
• One final bit out of my time with Team USA in Las Vegas, it is Mike Krzyzewski talking about Kyrie Irving: “He’s not been accustomed to playing with guys who are rim runners, and with the shooters. In some respects you create a little tunnel vision of him as a scorer, in this camp he reacquaints himself with lobs, with drive-and-kick, with things he hasn’t been asked to do as much in the past couple years.”
• Kemba Walker is pumped to have someone else who can create their own offense off the bounce in Charlotte. As he should be.
• Michael Beasley went to Los Angeles for some workouts in front of teams last week. While there he rented a car — a Porsche none the less — but he didn’t bother to return it so the rental company had to come and tow it away. And you wonder why teams are lining up to take his talent.
• RIP to Dale Schlueter, an original member of the Portland Trail Blazers from their inaugural season (1970-71), who died of cancer last week at the age of 68.
• Much to the joy of the Orlando brass, Maurice Harkless will not play for Puerto Rico in the FIBA World Cup this summer.
• Hawks’ second round pick Edy Tavares is expected to play next season in Spain.
• Finally, Minnesota’s Zach LaVine with the selfie dunk video.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots of pump fakes. Lots and lots of pump fakes.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
It’s an old Moses Malone trick.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s healthy, that’s a start.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Williams signed a two-year deal with the Mavs in July.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Whittington played for the Heat at Summer League.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mutombo played four and a half years in Atlanta.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Stojakovic had been rumored for several weeks to be joining the Kings.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
His third time in seven years changing agents.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Wade would make Patches O’Houlihan proud.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If I were a betting man, I’d expect there’s a better than 50/50 chance a Zeller deal gets done.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Does Harden even make the all left-handed starting five?
Aug 31, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT
We have some Riley Curry news. You know you want to click now.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Charlie Westbrook reportedly signs with Bucks
Aug 31, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
The Clippers add more depth. It’s been a good offseason for Doc Rivers.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
He is a very good pick-and-roll guard with great court vision.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT
The Suns have no leverage now even if they wanted to move him, and apparently they don’t.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
You don’t even need to pump up his sneakers
Aug 31, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Cleveland can watch Pointer develop without having to pay him
Aug 31, 2015, 2:26 PM EDT
Mike Clarkson says son committed to Lakers
Aug 31, 2015, 1:33 PM EDT
Don’t expect him to make the regular-season roster this season
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4