Aug 7, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than TMZ loves Jay Z/Beyonce marital trouble….
• The only thing anywhere near as hot as LeBron James in Cleveland is Johnny Manziel. And the future savior of the Browns (*cough*) is still a distant second. But the stars almost collided on Thursday when LeBron took his boys to see the Browns practice as they get ready for their first preseason game this weekend. LeBron talked with Browns coach Mike Pettine as well as with Manziel (who is represented by LeBron’s marketing firm).
“He just asked how camp was going,” Pettine said. “You could tell that he’s into it and loves football, a big Browns fan. He said he’ll be at the games when it’s warm and when it’s cold he’ll be watching in his basement.”
There are some things Miami can always offer that Cleveland can’t, not needing to bundle up for a game is one of them.
• Power ranking the best/worst uniforms in the NBA over at CSNWashington.com.
• After watching the Spurs knock them out of the playoffs, Thunder coach Scott Brooks wants his team to increase its assists and move the ball better next season. I bet 2/3 of the coaches in the league say that, and I doubt many have any success. We’ll see if Brooks is the exception.
• One league executive told the Philadelphia Daily News that the Sixers have a “negative effect on the integrity of the NBA.”
• One final bit out of my time with Team USA in Las Vegas, it is Mike Krzyzewski talking about Kyrie Irving: “He’s not been accustomed to playing with guys who are rim runners, and with the shooters. In some respects you create a little tunnel vision of him as a scorer, in this camp he reacquaints himself with lobs, with drive-and-kick, with things he hasn’t been asked to do as much in the past couple years.”
• Kemba Walker is pumped to have someone else who can create their own offense off the bounce in Charlotte. As he should be.
• Michael Beasley went to Los Angeles for some workouts in front of teams last week. While there he rented a car — a Porsche none the less — but he didn’t bother to return it so the rental company had to come and tow it away. And you wonder why teams are lining up to take his talent.
• RIP to Dale Schlueter, an original member of the Portland Trail Blazers from their inaugural season (1970-71), who died of cancer last week at the age of 68.
• Much to the joy of the Orlando brass, Maurice Harkless will not play for Puerto Rico in the FIBA World Cup this summer.
• Hawks’ second round pick Edy Tavares is expected to play next season in Spain.
• Finally, Minnesota’s Zach LaVine with the selfie dunk video.
Aug 5, 2015, 1:24 AM EDT
At least it’s Tupac, it could have been worse.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
Nike’s KD8 Suit goes on sale August 14.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Aldridge has too many pairs to fill his closet as it is.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT
Exum suffered the injury in an exhibition game in Slovenia.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Bradley Beal also headed to Las Vegas
Aug 4, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
That would derail a lot of the Jazz’s positive momentum
Aug 4, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
Aug 4, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Everything good now between the Kings franchise player and coach?
Aug 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
This is the real deal
Aug 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EDT
Exum was playing for Australia against Slovenia
Aug 4, 2015, 3:33 PM EDT
Will former Iowa State star make Orlando’s team?
Aug 4, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
If you don’t get it, ask someone younger
Aug 4, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Kobe doesn’t know how he’ll feel next summer. You can’t blame him for that.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
No. No they will not.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The Serbian national team is expected to protest it.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
He will battle Kyle O’Quinn to backup Robin Lopez.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Lawson and Brewer put up impressive offensive numbers together in Denver.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
I’m no fashion critic, but they’re not bad.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Somehow I bet he still cashes his paychecks rather than actually playing for free.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
Even if he could sign an extension, he wouldn’t.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9