Aug 7, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than TMZ loves Jay Z/Beyonce marital trouble….
• The only thing anywhere near as hot as LeBron James in Cleveland is Johnny Manziel. And the future savior of the Browns (*cough*) is still a distant second. But the stars almost collided on Thursday when LeBron took his boys to see the Browns practice as they get ready for their first preseason game this weekend. LeBron talked with Browns coach Mike Pettine as well as with Manziel (who is represented by LeBron’s marketing firm).
“He just asked how camp was going,” Pettine said. “You could tell that he’s into it and loves football, a big Browns fan. He said he’ll be at the games when it’s warm and when it’s cold he’ll be watching in his basement.”
There are some things Miami can always offer that Cleveland can’t, not needing to bundle up for a game is one of them.
• Power ranking the best/worst uniforms in the NBA over at CSNWashington.com.
• After watching the Spurs knock them out of the playoffs, Thunder coach Scott Brooks wants his team to increase its assists and move the ball better next season. I bet 2/3 of the coaches in the league say that, and I doubt many have any success. We’ll see if Brooks is the exception.
• One league executive told the Philadelphia Daily News that the Sixers have a “negative effect on the integrity of the NBA.”
• One final bit out of my time with Team USA in Las Vegas, it is Mike Krzyzewski talking about Kyrie Irving: “He’s not been accustomed to playing with guys who are rim runners, and with the shooters. In some respects you create a little tunnel vision of him as a scorer, in this camp he reacquaints himself with lobs, with drive-and-kick, with things he hasn’t been asked to do as much in the past couple years.”
• Kemba Walker is pumped to have someone else who can create their own offense off the bounce in Charlotte. As he should be.
• Michael Beasley went to Los Angeles for some workouts in front of teams last week. While there he rented a car — a Porsche none the less — but he didn’t bother to return it so the rental company had to come and tow it away. And you wonder why teams are lining up to take his talent.
• RIP to Dale Schlueter, an original member of the Portland Trail Blazers from their inaugural season (1970-71), who died of cancer last week at the age of 68.
• Much to the joy of the Orlando brass, Maurice Harkless will not play for Puerto Rico in the FIBA World Cup this summer.
• Hawks’ second round pick Edy Tavares is expected to play next season in Spain.
• Finally, Minnesota’s Zach LaVine with the selfie dunk video.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:09 PM EST
He will get a second opinion.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Damian Lillard, Kyle Korver, DeMarcus Cousins and more.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:27 PM EST
DeMarcus Cousins and Damian Lillard were left off in the West.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EST
A promotional video hyping the matchup features plenty of players, but Kevin Love is noticeably absent.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
Mitch Kupchak expects Kobe to return next season.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:20 PM EST
Reserves are announced tonight.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Brooks may last the season, but may not if Thunder miss the playoffs. Jackson, meanwhile, has been marginalized ever since Dion Waiters was acquired.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:56 PM EST
Wade may be selected as an All-Star reserve Thursday night, but wouldn’t play in the midseason exhibition if the timeline holds true.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
“I looked down to see my legs, and I saw my bone. The second I saw my bone, I just lost it.”
Jan 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Jan 29, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
See Andrew Wiggins’, Shabazz Muhammad’s and Dante Exum’s
Jan 29, 2015, 1:28 PM EST
Timberwolves enjoying rare win
Jan 29, 2015, 12:50 PM EST
Oklahoma City expected to deal Jackson
Jan 29, 2015, 12:14 PM EST
Spurs guard completes field
Jan 29, 2015, 11:41 AM EST
Thunder star is ridiculous(ly awesome)
Jan 29, 2015, 11:03 AM EST
A mutual parting after season wouldn’t be a surprised
Jan 29, 2015, 10:19 AM EST
‘Person close to Durant’ cites Thunder star’s fondness of Carmelo Anthony
Jan 29, 2015, 9:43 AM EST
Rockets center requires further testing
Jan 29, 2015, 9:06 AM EST
Happy times for Cavaliers. How long will they continue?
Jan 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Sidney is the poster child for the can’t miss prospect that missed.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 0
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 7
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 7
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 8
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 41
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54