Aug 7, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than TMZ loves Jay Z/Beyonce marital trouble….
• The only thing anywhere near as hot as LeBron James in Cleveland is Johnny Manziel. And the future savior of the Browns (*cough*) is still a distant second. But the stars almost collided on Thursday when LeBron took his boys to see the Browns practice as they get ready for their first preseason game this weekend. LeBron talked with Browns coach Mike Pettine as well as with Manziel (who is represented by LeBron’s marketing firm).
“He just asked how camp was going,” Pettine said. “You could tell that he’s into it and loves football, a big Browns fan. He said he’ll be at the games when it’s warm and when it’s cold he’ll be watching in his basement.”
There are some things Miami can always offer that Cleveland can’t, not needing to bundle up for a game is one of them.
• Power ranking the best/worst uniforms in the NBA over at CSNWashington.com.
• After watching the Spurs knock them out of the playoffs, Thunder coach Scott Brooks wants his team to increase its assists and move the ball better next season. I bet 2/3 of the coaches in the league say that, and I doubt many have any success. We’ll see if Brooks is the exception.
• One league executive told the Philadelphia Daily News that the Sixers have a “negative effect on the integrity of the NBA.”
• One final bit out of my time with Team USA in Las Vegas, it is Mike Krzyzewski talking about Kyrie Irving: “He’s not been accustomed to playing with guys who are rim runners, and with the shooters. In some respects you create a little tunnel vision of him as a scorer, in this camp he reacquaints himself with lobs, with drive-and-kick, with things he hasn’t been asked to do as much in the past couple years.”
• Kemba Walker is pumped to have someone else who can create their own offense off the bounce in Charlotte. As he should be.
• Michael Beasley went to Los Angeles for some workouts in front of teams last week. While there he rented a car — a Porsche none the less — but he didn’t bother to return it so the rental company had to come and tow it away. And you wonder why teams are lining up to take his talent.
• RIP to Dale Schlueter, an original member of the Portland Trail Blazers from their inaugural season (1970-71), who died of cancer last week at the age of 68.
• Much to the joy of the Orlando brass, Maurice Harkless will not play for Puerto Rico in the FIBA World Cup this summer.
• Hawks’ second round pick Edy Tavares is expected to play next season in Spain.
• Finally, Minnesota’s Zach LaVine with the selfie dunk video.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
We’re sorry to do this to you.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
The guaranteed deal is huge but the Wolves are deep at the three. He’ll struggle to get minutes.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Orlando also announces signing of Peyton Siva
Sep 16, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Stojakovic’s 3-point bombing made Sacramento better for quite some time
Sep 16, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Kirilenko played by far career-low 19 minutes per game last season
Sep 16, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Will the Suns take advantage?
Sep 16, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Mavericks star could help Germany qualify for 2016 Olympics
Sep 16, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
No. 1 and No. 2 picks in the NBA draft square off against each other, expectations
Sep 16, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Williams, who plays both forward positions, now favorite to replace Josh McRoberts in starting lineup
Sep 16, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Plenty of changes, but enough to make the playoffs?
Sep 16, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
San Antonio already has 17 players, qualifying offer out to Baynes
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Bill Duffy: ‘Klay Thompson right now is the top two-way, two-guard in basketball’
Sep 16, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Deron Williams opening the season healthy would be huge… but just the start of what they need from him.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Ingles excelled in World Cup, completes dominoes set in motion by Jared Dudley trade
Sep 16, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
You won’t see this for the Americans’ gold medal
Sep 15, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
Forward from St. John’s went undrafted
Sep 15, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
New details about incident in which he allegedly punched ex-girlfriend in the face
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Amundson’s best days are behind him, but maybe he can find a niche in Cleveland
Sep 15, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Who else was Lionel Hollins going to start?
Sep 15, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Washington building up competition for open 15th spot
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 7
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 27
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 26
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10