Aug 7, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than TMZ loves Jay Z/Beyonce marital trouble….
• The only thing anywhere near as hot as LeBron James in Cleveland is Johnny Manziel. And the future savior of the Browns (*cough*) is still a distant second. But the stars almost collided on Thursday when LeBron took his boys to see the Browns practice as they get ready for their first preseason game this weekend. LeBron talked with Browns coach Mike Pettine as well as with Manziel (who is represented by LeBron’s marketing firm).
“He just asked how camp was going,” Pettine said. “You could tell that he’s into it and loves football, a big Browns fan. He said he’ll be at the games when it’s warm and when it’s cold he’ll be watching in his basement.”
There are some things Miami can always offer that Cleveland can’t, not needing to bundle up for a game is one of them.
• Power ranking the best/worst uniforms in the NBA over at CSNWashington.com.
• After watching the Spurs knock them out of the playoffs, Thunder coach Scott Brooks wants his team to increase its assists and move the ball better next season. I bet 2/3 of the coaches in the league say that, and I doubt many have any success. We’ll see if Brooks is the exception.
• One league executive told the Philadelphia Daily News that the Sixers have a “negative effect on the integrity of the NBA.”
• One final bit out of my time with Team USA in Las Vegas, it is Mike Krzyzewski talking about Kyrie Irving: “He’s not been accustomed to playing with guys who are rim runners, and with the shooters. In some respects you create a little tunnel vision of him as a scorer, in this camp he reacquaints himself with lobs, with drive-and-kick, with things he hasn’t been asked to do as much in the past couple years.”
• Kemba Walker is pumped to have someone else who can create their own offense off the bounce in Charlotte. As he should be.
• Michael Beasley went to Los Angeles for some workouts in front of teams last week. While there he rented a car — a Porsche none the less — but he didn’t bother to return it so the rental company had to come and tow it away. And you wonder why teams are lining up to take his talent.
• RIP to Dale Schlueter, an original member of the Portland Trail Blazers from their inaugural season (1970-71), who died of cancer last week at the age of 68.
• Much to the joy of the Orlando brass, Maurice Harkless will not play for Puerto Rico in the FIBA World Cup this summer.
• Hawks’ second round pick Edy Tavares is expected to play next season in Spain.
• Finally, Minnesota’s Zach LaVine with the selfie dunk video.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EDT
Jared Dudley’s pass was fantastic.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Golden State wins Game 4, 109-98
Apr 25, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Milwaukee forced 26 Chicago turnovers, a season high.
Mark Cuban shouts at Adam Silver to complain about foul calls during Mavericks’ Game 3 loss to Rockets
Apr 25, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Silver was in attendance for Game 3 between the Mavericks and the Rockets.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Nets now trail the Hawks 2-1 in the series.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Apr 25, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets
Apr 25, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
“The officials [have] got to get that stuff under control, because there’s too much physical stuff going on. Howard is throwing people all over the place,” Carlisle said.
Report: ‘No scenario’ where Kawhi Leonard will pursue offer sheets as a restricted free agent this summer
Apr 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Spurs and Leonard are a perfect match.
Mavericks coach Carlisle rips officials, claims ‘there’s too much physical stuff going on’ after Game 3 loss to Rockets
Apr 25, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Apr 25, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Pierce did the same thing to the Raptors a year ago when he was with the Nets.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
The Spurs are Kawhi Leonard’s team now.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
These feel like Stephen Curry’s playoffs.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:28 AM EDT
Leonard was fantastic at both ends of the court.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:18 AM EDT
The Wizards are moving on. That’s the Truth.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Dwight Howard grabbed 26 rebounds, too.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Portland, down 0-2 to Memphis, needs all the help it can get.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
NBA continues its technological push.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Parker is going to finish his degree at Duke.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The Warriors eventually won in overtime regardless.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 5
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7