Aug 7, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than TMZ loves Jay Z/Beyonce marital trouble….
• The only thing anywhere near as hot as LeBron James in Cleveland is Johnny Manziel. And the future savior of the Browns (*cough*) is still a distant second. But the stars almost collided on Thursday when LeBron took his boys to see the Browns practice as they get ready for their first preseason game this weekend. LeBron talked with Browns coach Mike Pettine as well as with Manziel (who is represented by LeBron’s marketing firm).
“He just asked how camp was going,” Pettine said. “You could tell that he’s into it and loves football, a big Browns fan. He said he’ll be at the games when it’s warm and when it’s cold he’ll be watching in his basement.”
There are some things Miami can always offer that Cleveland can’t, not needing to bundle up for a game is one of them.
• Power ranking the best/worst uniforms in the NBA over at CSNWashington.com.
• After watching the Spurs knock them out of the playoffs, Thunder coach Scott Brooks wants his team to increase its assists and move the ball better next season. I bet 2/3 of the coaches in the league say that, and I doubt many have any success. We’ll see if Brooks is the exception.
• One league executive told the Philadelphia Daily News that the Sixers have a “negative effect on the integrity of the NBA.”
• One final bit out of my time with Team USA in Las Vegas, it is Mike Krzyzewski talking about Kyrie Irving: “He’s not been accustomed to playing with guys who are rim runners, and with the shooters. In some respects you create a little tunnel vision of him as a scorer, in this camp he reacquaints himself with lobs, with drive-and-kick, with things he hasn’t been asked to do as much in the past couple years.”
• Kemba Walker is pumped to have someone else who can create their own offense off the bounce in Charlotte. As he should be.
• Michael Beasley went to Los Angeles for some workouts in front of teams last week. While there he rented a car — a Porsche none the less — but he didn’t bother to return it so the rental company had to come and tow it away. And you wonder why teams are lining up to take his talent.
• RIP to Dale Schlueter, an original member of the Portland Trail Blazers from their inaugural season (1970-71), who died of cancer last week at the age of 68.
• Much to the joy of the Orlando brass, Maurice Harkless will not play for Puerto Rico in the FIBA World Cup this summer.
• Hawks’ second round pick Edy Tavares is expected to play next season in Spain.
• Finally, Minnesota’s Zach LaVine with the selfie dunk video.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Clippers point guard on his own level in post-Magic Johnson NBA
Oct 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Carter still has some bounce.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Rondo praises head coach Brad Stevens’ success on the college level.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He still has an antitrust suit pending against the NBA.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
It’s only preseason, but the 2011 league MVP looks like his old self.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The proposed changes would give the four worst teams the same odds of winning the No. 1 pick in the draft.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He’s moving well considered what happened to his leg just back in July.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
So does ‘Nique and Chris Webber.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Well, there are worse things on television.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Steve Koonin promoting Hawks’ season opener, which includes T.I. performances
Oct 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
The real question is who will be the better team by late May.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
When Stephenson brought his game to Charlotte this season, he clearly brought the flopping with him.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
How will Indiana score?
Oct 20, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Anonymous executives, agents slam Kobe in ESPN article
Oct 20, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Detroit also cuts Brian Cook, Josh Bostic and Lorenzo Brown
Oct 20, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
I’m unconvinced one had much to do with the other
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Door even more open for Ronnie Price and Wayne Ellington to make roster
Oct 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
How did LeBron get Kevin Love, Shawn Marion, Mike Miller and James Jones to join the Cavaliers?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Smart money should go on LeBron James, but there will be serious challengers.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
If they can stay a step ahead of father time the Spurs are the bar to clear to win an NBA title.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31