Aug 7, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Lionel Hollins hired his own coaching staff with the Nets – Paul Westphal, John Welch, Tony Brown, Joe Wolf and Jay Humphries as assistant coaches and Jim Sann.
That left a former Jason Kidd assistant, Roy Rogers, on the open market.
And with Sam Cassell headed to the Clippers, the Wizards were shopping.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Washington’s top bigs, Marcin Gortat and Nene, are established veterans with fairly well-rounded games. Of course everyone can using coaching, but those two don’t require especially close attention.
Maybe the Wizards believe Rogers can handle more diverse responsibilities. If so, this is the type of job that could eventually propel Rogers into a head-coaching position.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 24
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 4
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 59
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6