Aug 7, 2014, 11:13 AM EST
I would have dealt Love for just Andrew Wiggins if it were allowed and all I could get, but Anthony Bennett and a future first rounder are nice assets, too. Minnesota did really well for itself, no question.
Flip Saunders hasn’t given up, though.
Barea ($4,519,500), Mbah a Moute ($4,382,576) and Shved ($3,282,056) all have expiring contracts. So, “freeing itself” is strange wording considering Minnesota can just let all three walk next offseason.
Assuming that’s an accurate portrayal of the situation, though, I see a couple possibilities:
1. The Timberwolves know they won’t contend for a playoff berth this season, and they believe Barea, Mbah a Moute and Shved can help teams now. So, Minnesota wants to flip those three for future assets like draft picks(and maybe the expiring contract of a worse player to satisfy trade rules) while still possible.
2. The Timberwolves are so desperate to trim salary – even beyond the $4,644,503 they drop in the Love trade – they want to deal those three players now.
Quite possibly, a combination of both factors is in play. If Minnesota doesn’t believe its roster is playoff-worthy, drawing fans won’t be easy.
None of the three players has much value, though.
Shved, 25, regressed from his rookie year – a troubling sign for a low-efficiency gunner. It seemed he’d settle into NBA play, but he’s just getting further from the target.
Barea has trended downward since helping the Mavericks win the 2011 NBA Finals. The undersized point guard just doesn’t finish at the rim like he used to. That might be due to a lack of burst as he’s passed the wrong side of 30, but there’s at least a little hope he could thrive again in the right system.
Mbah a Moute seems to have slipped from his defensive peak, though he’s still pretty good in isolation. He still can’t shoot or serve as a playmaker, bigger issues when his defense isn’t as stout.
Minnesota has a chance to move any of the three if it finds a team with very specific needs, but none of the three will generate much buzz league-wide.
If they’re are really desperate to unload the trio, the Timberwolves could always offer draft picks as sweeteners. Or maybe they can attach one to Bennett in a Thaddeus Young trade. The 76ers have the cap room to absorb a bad contract (or three) if it nets a positive asset.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Well, at least Howard tried.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Things are not coming together as quickly as some expected in Cleveland.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EST
This would make three Lakers players out for the season with injuries.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
The bottom of the rankings are pretty obvious, the top harder to put together.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:08 PM EST
It’s in the hair
Nov 24, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
Former No. 1 pick facing felony battery charges
Nov 24, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
Bulls point guard says he’ll return tomorrow against the Nuggets at the latest
Nov 24, 2014, 1:17 PM EST
Pelicans guard dealing with yet another injury
Nov 24, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
Rockets without their two best defensive players
Nov 24, 2014, 11:38 AM EST
Trail Blazers star keeps elevating game. Will he ever level off?
Nov 24, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Oklahoma City point guard throws down on Warriors
Nov 24, 2014, 10:14 AM EST
Do you prefer the original or the emulator?
Nov 24, 2014, 9:35 AM EST
Utah would reportedly send Jeremy Evans and Toure’ Murry to Brooklyn
Nov 24, 2014, 9:04 AM EST
Rockets center has missed last two games after plasma therapy on knee
Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
Memphis can offer more money than anyone else, but Gasol will have options.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Wes did Gallinari wrong.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:36 AM EST
Few teams have been more of a let down so far this season than Charlotte.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:24 AM EST
Tony Allen has a little playground in his offensive game.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
He is 0-for-13 in the Nets last two games.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
This is funny. Cold, but funny.
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 6
- Report: Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice 10
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Life is good in the Golden State 8
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 4
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 9
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 55