Aug 7, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
I would have dealt Love for just Andrew Wiggins if it were allowed and all I could get, but Anthony Bennett and a future first rounder are nice assets, too. Minnesota did really well for itself, no question.
Flip Saunders hasn’t given up, though.
Barea ($4,519,500), Mbah a Moute ($4,382,576) and Shved ($3,282,056) all have expiring contracts. So, “freeing itself” is strange wording considering Minnesota can just let all three walk next offseason.
Assuming that’s an accurate portrayal of the situation, though, I see a couple possibilities:
1. The Timberwolves know they won’t contend for a playoff berth this season, and they believe Barea, Mbah a Moute and Shved can help teams now. So, Minnesota wants to flip those three for future assets like draft picks(and maybe the expiring contract of a worse player to satisfy trade rules) while still possible.
2. The Timberwolves are so desperate to trim salary – even beyond the $4,644,503 they drop in the Love trade – they want to deal those three players now.
Quite possibly, a combination of both factors is in play. If Minnesota doesn’t believe its roster is playoff-worthy, drawing fans won’t be easy.
None of the three players has much value, though.
Shved, 25, regressed from his rookie year – a troubling sign for a low-efficiency gunner. It seemed he’d settle into NBA play, but he’s just getting further from the target.
Barea has trended downward since helping the Mavericks win the 2011 NBA Finals. The undersized point guard just doesn’t finish at the rim like he used to. That might be due to a lack of burst as he’s passed the wrong side of 30, but there’s at least a little hope he could thrive again in the right system.
Mbah a Moute seems to have slipped from his defensive peak, though he’s still pretty good in isolation. He still can’t shoot or serve as a playmaker, bigger issues when his defense isn’t as stout.
Minnesota has a chance to move any of the three if it finds a team with very specific needs, but none of the three will generate much buzz league-wide.
If they’re are really desperate to unload the trio, the Timberwolves could always offer draft picks as sweeteners. Or maybe they can attach one to Bennett in a Thaddeus Young trade. The 76ers have the cap room to absorb a bad contract (or three) if it nets a positive asset.
Aug 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
First Cam Newton, now Usain Bolt.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He may start at the four for Charlotte this year.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Cherry played for the Spurs’ Summer League team.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Unfortunately, neither of them can defend anyone.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Claver played two-plus seasons with the Blazers.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
The block happened in the Seattle Pro-Am game.
Aug 29, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
All in one 15-minute video.
Aug 29, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
If he develops a consistent three-point shot, it’s over.
Aug 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Bargnani is playing for the Italian national team.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Bryant has appeared in every 2K game.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
That’s what he does.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Sibert played four years in college.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Owning this may be better than seeing Space Jam 2 with Lebron James, if that project comes together.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He’s a coach, a brother.” — Lakers’ co-owner Jim Buss on Byron Scott
Aug 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s not a coincidence you see stars like Chris Paul, LeBron James, Tim Duncan and Russell Westbrook in a highlight package like this.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Hollins’ likes to slow things down.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
It is going to be a rough year in Denver as they give the keys to the offense to a rookie point guard.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:46 PM EDT
I wouldn’t bet on him making the roster.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Will either of them take a discount for security?
Aug 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Charles Barkley talked about how he never found Dawkins in a bad mood — he was always jovial.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 52