Aug 7, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
I would have dealt Love for just Andrew Wiggins if it were allowed and all I could get, but Anthony Bennett and a future first rounder are nice assets, too. Minnesota did really well for itself, no question.
Flip Saunders hasn’t given up, though.
Barea ($4,519,500), Mbah a Moute ($4,382,576) and Shved ($3,282,056) all have expiring contracts. So, “freeing itself” is strange wording considering Minnesota can just let all three walk next offseason.
Assuming that’s an accurate portrayal of the situation, though, I see a couple possibilities:
1. The Timberwolves know they won’t contend for a playoff berth this season, and they believe Barea, Mbah a Moute and Shved can help teams now. So, Minnesota wants to flip those three for future assets like draft picks(and maybe the expiring contract of a worse player to satisfy trade rules) while still possible.
2. The Timberwolves are so desperate to trim salary – even beyond the $4,644,503 they drop in the Love trade – they want to deal those three players now.
Quite possibly, a combination of both factors is in play. If Minnesota doesn’t believe its roster is playoff-worthy, drawing fans won’t be easy.
None of the three players has much value, though.
Shved, 25, regressed from his rookie year – a troubling sign for a low-efficiency gunner. It seemed he’d settle into NBA play, but he’s just getting further from the target.
Barea has trended downward since helping the Mavericks win the 2011 NBA Finals. The undersized point guard just doesn’t finish at the rim like he used to. That might be due to a lack of burst as he’s passed the wrong side of 30, but there’s at least a little hope he could thrive again in the right system.
Mbah a Moute seems to have slipped from his defensive peak, though he’s still pretty good in isolation. He still can’t shoot or serve as a playmaker, bigger issues when his defense isn’t as stout.
Minnesota has a chance to move any of the three if it finds a team with very specific needs, but none of the three will generate much buzz league-wide.
If they’re are really desperate to unload the trio, the Timberwolves could always offer draft picks as sweeteners. Or maybe they can attach one to Bennett in a Thaddeus Young trade. The 76ers have the cap room to absorb a bad contract (or three) if it nets a positive asset.
Tyson Chandler says negative comments questioning his impact on chemistry with Knicks were ‘the ultimate shock’
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Chandler, now with Dallas, fires back at the Knicks.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Chapman played four years for the Suns, and is facing charges in Scottsdale, AZ.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
This post is here to make life easier for you when you want to find these at the end of the season and point out how wrong we were.
UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks
Sep 19, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
It has to be a sign and trade and Minnesota doesn’t have a lot of leverage here.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“It was more just becoming a better all-around player, trying to take the next step and become a leader on this team and will my team to win.” —Jeff Green
Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
And you wonder why Phil Jackson is worth $12 million a year to the Knicks organization.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Budenholzer got thrust into a position with the power a lot of coaches covet.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Sep 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Best. Name. Ever.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Heat point guard one-ups Andre Drummond with trick shot
Sep 19, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Will he make Cleveland’s regular-season roster?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Full recap from the launch event at Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon, including technical information, details on colorways, and confirmed release dates.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Elbow injury would have kept him out of camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Kyle Lowry and Co. return for another run
Sep 19, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Former Kings draft pick joins three other players competing to make Memphis’ roster
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Raduljica, after solid rookie year, leaves NBA sooner than he’d hoped.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Alfonso Ribeiro can still do that dance.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
“Then it became a competition amongst guys and now you really got into it more and you started to really understand the clothes you put on your body.” —Dwyane Wade
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25