Aug 7, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Actually, check that.
After teasing another name change on Twitter…
…World Peace – nee Ron Artest – has his new name.
New high-profile import playing for Chinese basketball Association club Sichuan Blue Whales is known as Ron Artest but intends to change his name to “Panda Friend” in honor of his move to China.
World Peace, who is known in China as “Ci Shiping”, a literal translation of “Metta World Peace,” now plans to name himself after China’s giant panda, a precious animal based in Southwest China’s Sichuan province, where his new team is also based.
Yes, The Pandas Friend sounds silly, but I think it’s important people have the right to be called what they want to be called. So, The Pandas Friend it is.
Considering he legally had his name changed to World Peace, I’m guessing he’ll do the same for The Pandas Friend.
I can’t wait to hear more about the adventures of Friend (not pictured) in China this season.
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 6
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 15
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1