Aug 7, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Actually, check that.
After teasing another name change on Twitter…
…World Peace – nee Ron Artest – has his new name.
New high-profile import playing for Chinese basketball Association club Sichuan Blue Whales is known as Ron Artest but intends to change his name to “Panda Friend” in honor of his move to China.
World Peace, who is known in China as “Ci Shiping”, a literal translation of “Metta World Peace,” now plans to name himself after China’s giant panda, a precious animal based in Southwest China’s Sichuan province, where his new team is also based.
Yes, The Pandas Friend sounds silly, but I think it’s important people have the right to be called what they want to be called. So, The Pandas Friend it is.
Considering he legally had his name changed to World Peace, I’m guessing he’ll do the same for The Pandas Friend.
I can’t wait to hear more about the adventures of Friend (not pictured) in China this season.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4