Aug 7, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT
The Heat are already learning the perils of life without LeBron James.
Sure, they’ll miss LeBron’s production when the season begins. You don’t easily replace an all-time great player in his prime.
But LeBron also has an ability to attract high-profile teammates, even for small roles.
Former All-Stars Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Juwan Howard, Jamaal Magloire and Jerry Stackhouse and former top-10 picks Greg Oden, Michael Beasley, Eddy Curry and Erick Dampier passed through Miami in the last four years. The Heat might not have gotten those talented players in their primes, but they got talented players.
Undrafted rookie Tyler Johnson has reached an agreement on a free agent contract with the Miami Heat, a league source told RealGM.
Johnson, 21, had significant overseas offers, too, deciding to go with the Heat’s deal with an opportunity to make the regular season roster.
These are the type of players who sit on the end of the bench for nearly every team in the league. Even with LeBron, Miami had plenty of low-profile reserves.
It’s not even certain Johnson, who played at Fresno State, received any guaranteed money and will make the roster. He could be gone during training camp.
But the Heat are relying more on these marginal talents that previously. There’s more pressure to unearth gems and find rotation players where nobody else is looking.
Maybe Johnson can become one of those players, but his résumé is much thinner the ones Pat Riley is accustomed to seeing.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 17
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 37
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 13
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 33