Report: Greg Oden arrested, charged with battery

Aug 7, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT

Greg Oden was arrested and charged with misdemeanor battery early Thursday morning in Lawrence, Indiana, according to police reports.

The extremely unpleasant details, from Matt Adams of Fox59:

When [police] arrived, they found a woman lying down with blood on her face. They encountered a witness who was yelling and crying. The witness identified herself as the victim’s best friend.

“He punched her in the face, my hand hurts and I just want to go home,” the woman told police, according to the incident report.

The officer noticed “blood, swelling to the nose, lacerations to the forehead and nose area” of the victim’s face. Police also saw blood on the sofa and floor. A flower pot was also knocked over during the disturbance. …

“Things got out of control and I started to go after the victim,” police quoted Oden in the report. He said the relative and witness tried to hold him back, but he swung his arms trying to break free and punched the victim.

“I was wrong and I know what has to happen,” Oden told officers. He said he and the woman had dated for approximately two years and broke up about two months ago.

Police described Oden as “calm, apologetic and cooperative” and said he told them he took “full responsibility” for his actions.

Oden was a member of the Miami Heat last season, but health issues kept him from contributing meaningful minutes, especially late in the year and during the playoffs. Oden averaged 2.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 9.2 minutes per game, while appearing in 23 regular season contests.

It was reported recently that Oden had a workout scheduled with the Los Angeles Clippers. He is currently an unrestricted free agent.

1. timb12 - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM

He don’t look happy!

• spthegr8 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM

He is 26 years old, His knees are SHOT, he is currently unemployed ( this is really gonna help with that ), his woman just told him to kick rocks & he is about to go to jail. Can you blame him for looking bummed??

• apkyletexas - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM

He’s also made $24 million in the NBA – let’s not go feeling sorry about the whole “unemployed” thing.

• spthegr8 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I never said I feel sorry for him. I said, I understand why he looks so blown!!

• 00maltliquor - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Sp just broke it down to a compound. Yup, pretty much.

• spthegr8 - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM

@Malt
        Yeah homie. Talk about being down on you’re luck but, having 24 mil in the bank would put a smile on my face!! IJS!!

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:01 PM

@apkyletexas After reading several of your comments today I’ve decided that you must be just a ray of sunshine in all your friends’ & family’s lives.

• kavika6 - Aug 8, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I have a feeling the woman with blood on her face is getting most of that $24 million.

• j0esixpack - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I’d go with the Alzheimer’s defense

2. cakemixa - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Did they have to ice his knees down when he got to the jail?

• dominwindhamnh - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Best line of the day.

3. El Pollo Loco - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Maurice Clarett would be proud

4. kaspauf - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:39 AM

That shirt says it all.

5. dondada10 - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:48 AM

“He punched her in the face, my hand hurts and I just want to go home,” the woman told police.

Sounds like alcohol may have been involved.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I’m confused. If HE punched HER in the face, why does HER hand hurt?

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Stockholm syndrome?

• kavika6 - Aug 8, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Exactly what I was wondering.

6. mungman69 - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:48 AM

He hit more shots here than he did with the Heat.

7. canucks30 - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM

A bigger BUST than Kate Upton

8. fordmandalay - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Gee, I wonder if the NBA will give him a two game suspension?

9. patfic5 - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:17 AM

• asimonetti88 - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I have to say, it did sort of surprise me. But, the way he responded to it makes more sense to me. I don’t doubt he hit her, but, at least he’s taking responsibility for what he did. If you’re going to do something like this, at least understand what you did and accept what you have coming to you. That’s the part that really gets me about Ray Rice. He never accepted responsibility for what he did. Dude even had the lady he hit apologize to the media!

10. canucks30 - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM

BUST

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM

We read that the first time with your little joke and it wasn’t funny then. You’re lame. Stick to hockey…..eh.

11. edwardemanuelson - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Serious issues going on upstairs with this guy. Get some help. It is available and he can afford it. Give up basketball and get into therapy.

12. parlett316 - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Sources close to Ozzie Newsome’s line of thinking during Odens time at Ohio State was that they always liked his length but his injury history was a concern.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

His length is well documented.

13. kash71 - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM

He probably can find a career in the NFL after this.

14. imjustsayin412 - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

So I guess punching bit**es in the face is what’s hot in the streets nowadays huh? These dudes are straight up suckers!

• 00maltliquor - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM

She shouldn’t have provoked him…

-Stephen A. Smith

15. floreskins - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM

2 game suspension should do.

—Roger Goodell.

16. nicofthenorthstar - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Patfic5: “Oden strikes me as a gentle giant type. Probably more to.this story. (Not defending the action…..)”

In other words, there is a scenario where a man of Oden’s size and strength is justified busting up a woman’s face. Not defending the action, you say. But he probably has a good excuse, right?
    Pretty sad comment.

• patfic5 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Uh no. Read it again. I put the “Not defending” part for folks like you. I don’t know Greg Oden, personally. I merely stated a “perception” that I had concerning Oden. If I was defending Oden, I could’ve said something like, “Oh, this girl prolly had it coming, etc.etc.etc……but thanks anyway.

• dominwindhamnh - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Just shut up now. Youve already been seen as a d-bag.

• patfic5 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:56 PM

A d-bag? Oh no. Disapproval from a PBS commenter….I mean, why go on, right? Learn to read fellas.

17. chiadam - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Greg Oden is a heck of a guy.

– John Harbaugh

• mogogo1 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Crazy how badly both Goodell and Harbaugh mishandled the Rice deal. These lines are going to follow them both forever.

18. 1972wasalongtimeago - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I heard the injuries were a simple result of her trying to go down in him, but she miscalculated its size

19. rodyaugu - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

“she must have provoked him by calling him a bust”

-Steven A Smith-

20. mogogo1 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM

As if the coffin of his career needed any more nails in it.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM

It does. Teams keep giving him chances! Right now the Clippers are working him out. smh

21. banger60 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Just another ignorant wanna-be gangsta! Tough guys beat up women.

22. jimmy53 - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM

two game suspension

23. hurley711 - Aug 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I clicked thinking that Arison and Riley arrested him for battering Mia chances at a 3peat for not offering the rim protection this team needed

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches