Aug 7, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
— Matt McCutcheon (@matt_mccutcheon) August 7, 2014
The extremely unpleasant details, from Matt Adams of Fox59:
When [police] arrived, they found a woman lying down with blood on her face. They encountered a witness who was yelling and crying. The witness identified herself as the victim’s best friend.
“He punched her in the face, my hand hurts and I just want to go home,” the woman told police, according to the incident report.
The officer noticed “blood, swelling to the nose, lacerations to the forehead and nose area” of the victim’s face. Police also saw blood on the sofa and floor. A flower pot was also knocked over during the disturbance. …
“Things got out of control and I started to go after the victim,” police quoted Oden in the report. He said the relative and witness tried to hold him back, but he swung his arms trying to break free and punched the victim.
“I was wrong and I know what has to happen,” Oden told officers. He said he and the woman had dated for approximately two years and broke up about two months ago.
Police described Oden as “calm, apologetic and cooperative” and said he told them he took “full responsibility” for his actions.
Oden was a member of the Miami Heat last season, but health issues kept him from contributing meaningful minutes, especially late in the year and during the playoffs. Oden averaged 2.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 9.2 minutes per game, while appearing in 23 regular season contests.
It was reported recently that Oden had a workout scheduled with the Los Angeles Clippers. He is currently an unrestricted free agent.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6