Report: Cavaliers and Timberwolves set on Kevin Love trade, which includes Love re-signing for five years

Aug 7, 2014, 9:43 AM EST

It’s already been reported the Cavaliers and Timberwolves had agreed on a Kevin Love trade.

Even if it hadn’t been, every indication pointed that way.

But this isn’t something that slipped out on a radio interview. This isn’t read reading between the lines.

This is deliberately reported and well-sourced proof Cleveland and Minnesota pan to complete a deal as soon as Andrew Wiggins can be traded, Aug. 23.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

The Minnesota Timberwolves have reached an agreement in principle to send All-Star forward Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a protected 2015 first-round draft pick, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Cleveland is making the deal with Minnesota with a firm agreement Love will opt out of his contract in 2015 and re-sign with the Cavaliers on a five-year, $120 million-plus contract extension, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

No third team is involved in the Cavaliers-Timberwolves trade agreement.

The precise deal terms have been agreed upon for weeks, but the teams and Love plan to stay silent about the particulars until the trade is announced in 16 days, sources told Yahoo Sports.

The value of a Love max contract won’t be known until next summer, but based on the projected 2015-16 salary cap, it could be worth only $108,690,125.

There is no way to make Love’s side of this arrangement binding. He could opt in. He could opt out and leave.

Cleveland has no recourse but to take him at his word.

It’s a risk worth taking.

The entire reason I believed potential trade partners should get Love to opt in was, besides guaranteeing an extra year of the star player, Love would be signaling a desire to stay long-term. But this is another way, though less binding, of Love showing that intent.

Regardless, the upside for Cleveland is so high.

Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving are going to rule the East. That’s so much talent and production, and their dominance will likely begin immediately. If it takes a year for everyone to jell, as it did for LeBron in Miami, so be it. That core is young enough to contend for years – as long as Love follows through with staying.

That is a heck of a haul for the Timberwolves. Most superstars don’t fetch nearly so much in a trade, especially when they’re this close to free agency. Credit Flip Saunders and Glen Taylor for holding firm, drawing a great offer and realizing it’s the one they should take.

Wiggins won’t necessarily blossom into a star himself, but he has a good chance. In Minnesota, he’ll have plenty of room to spread his wings. Bennett looked much more fit in summer league, and even if he never lives up to being a No. 1 pick, a young top-10-pick-caliber player is valuable. The future first, depending on its protections, could also net the Timberwolves another key asset.

I’m not surprised this became public. I wouldn’t even be surprised if both teams agreed to leak it as a way to hold each other accountable if the deal doesn’t go through.

This is out now. It’s only a matter of waiting until the 23rd.

162 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. loubearkane - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Now Minnesota has to deal with Crazy Ricky Rubio wanting a MAX contract.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Oh Lucy… you got some splainin’ to do…

• ryanaammess - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I bet they give it to him.

2. rajbais - Aug 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Now this Lebron-in-Miami fan has now turned into a Lebron hater.

Remember, no went to Cleveland when Lebron had NO ring. He needed a championship squad to help him be attractive for Cleveland.

• tved12 - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Darn, well Soccer will be glad to have you back then.

3. 76ersdoubletank - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM

All looks good in the CLE now that trade will appearantly happen. I think this has been something of high probability from the minute the Lebron pitch came into play.

This “big” three is going to be interesting. Certainly, they will be only average when it comes to defending. At their peak, the big three in Miami were all better defenders, so CLE will need to sign someone who can mix it up on that end of the court.

Offensively though, I love putting Lebron’s all-around game with Love’s outside shooting. The biggest piece to their success will be Kyrie. He has to learn how to play as the third option. Chemistry may also be an issue until Waiters (who is now a 4th option at best) is out of there. Yeah, Lebron has been annoited “leader” by default, but that still won’t mean everyone shapes up an falls in line that easy.

I think Minnesota got a decent deal. I don’t know why anyone would think this is a haul. The first round pick can come from any of four combinations, all of which are lottery protected, so okay, they get a depth pick. Wiggins is key here, but he still is a question mark on the offensive end. If he blossoms, then look out, this trade could be a steal. Bennett still has a long, long way to go. Having No. 1 pick status is great for your mystique, but thus far he hasn’t shown near that kind of ability, even in his slimmed down state.

I do think Rubio will excel this year. He always played much better without Love in the lineup. He has motivation for a max deal, and no longer has to feel obligated to feed the ball in one direction.

• dominwindhamnh - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Correct – it’s not a “haul”…it’s the best they can do.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:32 PM

It’s a haul. This is about as good a trade as you’ll ever see when trading a disgruntled superstar.

Better then the Melo trade, D Will, CP3, & Dwight Howard trades.

This years AND last years #1picks (one who will be a STUD) AAAANNND a 1st round pick (albeit a high one presumably)? Thats almost a robbery considering teams never get back full value on trading a player like Love.

• tved12 - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Seems like there are a few other posters on here who hit the malt liquor this morning. It’s crazy to think this ISN’T a haul.

It’s probably the same people who were telling us the Wolves would be lucky to get Bennett and a first because they had no leverage.

This is absolutely a haul. If you don’t agree, please reply and tell me of a team who’s gotten more when trading away a super star in the last year of their contract.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

The funny thing though is that Cleveland offered even more than that before the draft. Minnesota could’ve had Wiggins, Bennett, Waiters and Thompson for Love. Now they just get Wiggins, Bennett and a pick – all question marks – which doesn’t seem like much for a star of Love’s caliber.

• tved12 - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:44 PM

anti,

I never heard that all 4 were offered, it was Bennett, 1st (Wiggins) and Waiters. That said, I’m not broken up that they didn’t get Waiters, it’s not like he’s been a great player. And with his attitude he could be a plague to a young rebuilding team.

And saying they got all question marks makes it sound worse than it is. Before the draft everybody said it would be a great trade for MN to get the 1st overall pick. And nobody is projecting that Wiggins is going to be a bust, all the experts have him as an excellent defender and a good scorer, not great. Let’s not pretend like this guy is only boom or bust.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM

@tved12 – You might be right about that. Either way, they’re giving up less now. They don’t have to lose Waiters and/or Thompson or anyone else.

• realfootballfan - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Great deal for Minnesota. I think Wiggins will be a stud because he understands the importance of the defensive end of the floor from the start, which is half the battle with young players. It’s the only way teams like Minnesota can get good young pieces, in trade or drafts, so good for them.

4. malek773 - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

To me the Bulls are still favorites in the East. If Rose stays healthy and plays like he’s been playing for Team USA the bulls will be scary good. McDermott, Dunleavy, Hinrich, and Snell provide great shooting around Rose. He’s never had that many shooters around him. Most he’s had in the past in pure shooters was Korver. He’s got plenty of places to kick the ball now. Combine that with What you’ll get from Noah, Pau, Gibson, and Mirotic and I just don’t see Cleveland having enough to beat Chicago in a 7 game series.

Its pretty safe to say that Cleveland and Chicago are the top two teams in the east now. That should be a great series to watch. But in the end I think Chicago’s defense combined with how deep their team is will be too much for Cleveland to overcome.

• sire2334 - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I appreciate the thought you put into it but sometimes it doesn’t take much thinking. Cleveland will rule the East. They better. And to be honest they’re built for the West too. Chicago and Wiz will round out the top 3.

• malek773 - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Just because they have the names doesn’t mean they will rule. They will be good and maybe in year two they will come out of the east, but next year belongs to Chicago if they stay healthy. The Spurs already showed everybody how dominate a great defense and a deep team can be.

• sire2334 - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I guess we’ll see….

• hwatt - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM

so we’re seeing two teams (CHI, CLE) with significantly new rosters will rule the east…

… can’t argue with that. pretty sad though. anybody for Washington or Miami?

• sire2334 - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM

DC definitely has a roster that can compete. That’s why I have them battling for 2nd with the Bulls. Yes, it’s going to take time for Cleveland to gel but if they all check their egos (Irving and Waiters) they can accelerate that process.

• takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I’m a Cav’s fan and would have to agree with you, IF Rose can stay healthy. That is a big question mark..

• dominwindhamnh - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Nope. Gasol-Love and Noah-Varajao and Kyrie-Rose will all be a wash. If Taj can make Cleveland pay on the offensive end – because he’s not stopping LBJ – it will be close. Both teams have shooters off the bench – so? It’s still an edge to CLE because of LBJ, until Chicago finds a way to negate him, and that aint happening.

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Noah-Varajao and Kyrie-Rose are washes? The reigning DPOY, a center who was second in the league in triple doubles last year and a former MVP (albeit coming off of 2 yrs of injuries but looking very well with Team USA)? I don’t think so. Sure, both teams have shooters but the Bulls have much more and are no doubt the deeper team and play much better defense.

• spthegr8 - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM

^^^ I agree. The Bulls aren’t gonna lay down and they have a Squad also. Not too mention, they have Tibbs & what seems to be healthy D Rose who has something to prove. It’s gonna be GOOD. Why can’t the season just start tomorrow?? ^^^ all that being said, if you had a gun to my head….. I’m picking the Cavs!!

• tved12 - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Sorry dude, you forgot to mention that Chicago doesn’t have an answer for the best player in the world. Also, just throwing names out there because they play the same position doesn’t make them a wash.

Love > Gasol
        Noah > Varajao

If the Bulls are your team I can’t believe you would disrespect Noah like that.

• malek773 - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Noah is hands down better than Varajao, its not even close. Yes Love will give you more than Pau, but Pau and Taj will get the Bulls more than Love will for the Cavs. I give Rose the nod over Kyrie simply because Kyrie’s numbers are absolutley going to go down with Lebron there. Happened with Wade and Bosh it will happen with Kyrie. I also give Rose the nod here because he is a much better defende; he’ll lock Kyrie up much better than Kyrie trying to lock him upr. So then the Cavs have Lebron. The Bulls don’t have any one player to match him but they have a system for him. You lock him up with Jimmy Butler playing defense. He won’t be able to stop Lebron but he sure will make Lebron work for everything he gets. Combine his defense with the offense you will get from Dunleavy, McBuckets, Mirotic, Snell, and Hinrich and the Bulls look like the better team.

At the end of the day its close. The reason I give this year to the Bulls is depth and team chemistry. Cleveland has the names but they don’t have the chemistry and depth chicago has. Its going to be a real fun series to watch and I pray everyone stays healthy so we get to see it in the ECF.

• tved12 - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:59 PM

malek,

I agree with the last thing you said, hopefully everybody stays healthy so we can see a great series.

I’m still not sold that Pau and Gibson give you what Love does. Also, I need to see Rose for 20+ games before I can give him the edge. I love D-Rose, they way he plays is very fun to watch, but I’m not sure he’s the same player (God I hope he is!). That said, even if Rose comes back the same I think Kyrie and him are close.

Finally, I agree with you that the Bulls have the best system for LeBron. Their team D is fantastic. I don’t know about all the scoring from the guys you listed, we’ll see if the young guys are as good as advertised. But Hinrich isn’t great and Chicago just has a tough time scoring too much.

In the end, I’m looking forward to a good series!

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Chicago is getting ahead of themselves. How can you say, “Its pretty safe to say that Cleveland and Chicago are the top two teams in the east now” after what Rose put you through the last two years? Now all of a sudden you’re absolutely sure he’s going to 1) stay healthy and 2) play well?

Chicago isn’t a lock for anything.

When it comes to Chicago vs Cleveland – the Bulls have the same issue they had vs the Heat. Cleveland has way too much talent for Chicago and they still don’t have LeBron.

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Yes, I can absolutely say he’s going to play well. Without a doubt. If you really think Cleveland has better, deeper talent than Chicago then you haven’t been paying attention. The Spurs didn’t have Lebron but they won. Dallas didn’t have Lebron but they won. Lets look at the rosters as of today:

Cleveland

Gibson
        Snell
        McDermott
        Hinrich
        Mirotic
        Brooks

Which team has more, deeper talent? I mean we know you like Lebron but there’s very little doubt as to which team has more and deeper talent. And how can you bring up injuries. Irving, Waiters, Miller and Varajao has a history of injury as well. Why didnt you bring that up?

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:46 PM

“Yes, I can absolutely say he’s going to play well. Without a doubt.”

Whatevs. I cannot say that with certainty. Plus, just getting back to what he was in 2011 won’t be enough. He has to be better than that.

The Cavs have more, deeper talent, imo. I’m not confident in anyone on the Bulls after Noah.

• tved12 - Aug 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM

chicitybulls,

Dude, you’re overconfidence is going to hurt later. Yes the Bulls look good on paper, but they have nothing yet. If LeBron is shutting Rose down on the offensive end, who else do they get their scoring from? You’re putting a lot of faith in a couple of rookies.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Bulls fans are adamant that LeBron never shut rose down, and that he can’t, and all of that was just a fantasy.

I know… delusional.

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM

“I cannot say that with certainty.” Honestly, what can anyone say with any certainty? If you believe the Cleveland has more, deeper talent then that’s your opinion and we’ll agree to disagree. Outside of Lebron I have no confidence in anyone on the Cavs. What have any other player on the Cavs done?

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Well you know Love and Irving have been playing the last few years. Rose has been out with some major injuries – so I think it’s a little more reasonable to feel uncertain about Rose than it is about those other guys – but that’s just me.

You have no confidence in Kevin Love? If you have no confidence in him then how can you have confidence in Rose?

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 6:28 PM

tved, I’m not overconfident. I’m not saying (like a lot of people are saying about the Cavs) that the Bulls are going to run through the East. I’m saying they’re going to be very competitive and will have a say so about who goes to the Finals. I’m saying they’re one of the top teams in the East. Maybe you can tell me why the Cavs (a team that hasn’t even made the playoffs since Lebron left and has all of this deep talent) are going to run through the East? Because they got Lebron? And Love (who also has never been to the playoffs)? At least it was justified when he went to Miami for them to be a favorite because the team and the new additions to that team at least had gone to the playoffs prior to then. I guess if you put Lebron on Philly then they’ll be the favorites too, right? I mean they have Noel and Embiid and MCW…pure talent.

” If LeBron is shutting Rose down on the offensive end, who else do they get their scoring from?”
        Gasol, Dunleavy, Gibson, McDermott, Mirotic, Hinrich, Butler, Snell…. They dont need those rookies to do anything special and put up 20-30 pts. Just be themselves. Most of the people on the Bulls have playoff experience. Only Lebron, Miller and Jones have that for Cleveland. Yet, they’re the favorite? Ok. Let’s just let the season play out and review at the end, ok?

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM

“I’m saying they… will have a say so about who goes to the Finals”

That’s a reach.

“Maybe you can tell me why the Cavs (a team that hasn’t even made the playoffs since Lebron left and has all of this deep talent) are going to run through the East? Because they got Lebron? And Love?”

Yes, exactly. That’s the reason. The Bulls don’t have two players anywhere near as good as LeBron and Love.

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM

As I said, that’s your opinion.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 7:19 PM

That’s not really just an opinion. If it had to be done, it can be mathematically argued that it is less reasonable to think that Rose can reach an elite level again as compared to Kevin Love being elite on the Cavs.

You know, the odds aren’t in Rose’s favor.

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM

It is an opinion based on the fact that no one knows with any certainty what will happen. It’s possible Rose can decline. It’s also possible then he can return to his elite level. Based on what I hear from Coach K and from what I saw in the scrimmage last week, I tend to lean towards the latter. But I’m sure for you, Rose is just Penny Hardaway.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM

“It’s possible Rose can decline. It’s also possible then he can return to his elite level.”

Yes, but the odds of that are a lot less than Love just playing well with LeBron. That’s not an opinion.

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Odds, by definition, are an opinion. So yes, it’s an opinion….your opinion.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:34 PM

No, that isn’t exactly true. Plus, there are multiple meanings – there’s the gambling meaning and the meaning as it pertains to statistics and probability.

For example, it is not just an opinion that the statistical odds for rolling six with a fair dice are 1 to 5.

An opinion does not have to be backed by any sort of fact, or have any sort of foundation at all. But statistical odds, by definition, are built upon a mathematical process.

5. wallabear - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

All LeKing’s Men: Mike Miller, James Jones, Kevin Love… Ray Allen, u want some of this?

• jerze2387 - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM

…theres 1 player in that list thats not way on the downside of his career. Honestly, 75% of that list wouldnt be in the league if they didnt follow Lebron around like the 3 wise men

• dominwindhamnh - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Agreed. James Jones? Guy acts like he’s Julius Erving…

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM

That 1 player is Kevin Love though. MJ never attracted a star of that caliber off another team.

• chicitybulls - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Cause MJ didn’t have to.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM

@chicitybulls – Yeah, MJ just sat around whining and waiting for his GM to build a winning team for him. But LeBron makes his own winning teams – he waits for no man.

• spthegr8 - Aug 7, 2014 at 9:15 PM

@anti
        SLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRP!!! Damn Bruh. You have NO gag reflex huh?

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Don’t forget Shawn Marion.

6. rosloe62 - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Bulls
    Cavs
    Wiz
    Pacers

Defense still wins championships!
    This Cavs team aren’t better than the Lebron Heat.

• cruzan80 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Offense won the championship two months ago….

• wordyduke - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Depth won the championship two months ago?

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM

The Cavs have the best defender out of all of those teams. Cleveland will be a good defensive team. LeBron doesn’t play on poor defensive teams.

7. ebecks34 - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:53 AM

In my opinion this move will come to bite Cleveland in the future.

They loose flexibility and if any of their 3 best players go down with a injury, they’re done.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:43 PM

there are NO guarantees in life (except for their salaries of course)…

Getting LBJ, Love and Irving on the same team is something that had to be done.

This past season…

LBJ had the 2nd best PER in the league

Love had the 3rd best PER in the league

Irving had the 27th best PER in the league

LBJ will be there again…

Love could drop a bit from 3rd and STILL be in the top 10

Irving is still getting better too.

You’re right, injuries could affect them.

Injuries could affect ANY team.

They might NOT have any serious injuries either.

• ebecks34 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Yes, its a very tricky situation. Still, in my opinion, they still don’t have what it takes to beat the West champion, and with all the cap cloged, each year will be more difficult to add missing pieces.

They’ll have all those first round picks next year, maybe that will save them.

Besides that, which team do you guys think would win a series between this year Cavs and last year’s Miami?

• hwatt - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM

if any team loses one of their 3 best players, their done. last-minute trades and benchwarmers aren’t taking the place of your top 3. what’s your point?

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM

lol. Yeah, they’re going to regret putting together this insanely talented team. What a terrible idea!

8. seasickcecil - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Did someone above really have the Pacers as the #4 team in the East? Minus George and Stephenson they’re a borderline lottery team.

• dominwindhamnh - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Agreed, esp. if Hibbert continues to sleepwalk.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM

THIS WILL BE HIBBERT’S BREAKOUT SEASON

NOT ALL-STAR LEVEL

MVP

• sportsfan18 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM

yep

sucks to be a Pacers fan this coming season…

they’re gonna be like the Knicks and the good folks of Indiana don’t deserve that…

Or like the Lakers of last season… (and this coming season too)

9. Mr. Wright 212 - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Call me when it is official. Too many moving parts, and too much can happen in the next 2 1/2 weeks.

10. seasickcecil - Aug 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM

The Cavs have become the first team in NBA history to add 2 of the top 5 scorers from the previous season.

• jasper36 - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM

The Heat did it in 2010.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM

They didn’t really “add” Wade though – he was already there. Yes, I know he was a free agent too, but it’s not exactly the same thing.

11. mungman69 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Da Bulls gotta learn how to shoot. They’ve addressed this somewhat but if they shoot “ANYWHERE NEAR” last years playoff shooting % then they’ll go home in round two (2).

12. realfootballfan - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I’m going to be interested in who will swear they didn’t say this was a good trade in 2 or 3 years when this collection still hasn’t won anything. Unless Love does a 180 on defense, Cavs won’t win anything and have just guaranteed it with the money they have tied up in Irving, Love, and potentially James as long as he doesn’t leave again. I really fail to see how it’s any better than the inflexibility he was facing in Miami but maybe I’m missing something. Doubt it though.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM

If Love did a 180 on defense he’d end up a below average defender.

“I really fail to see how it’s any better than the inflexibility he was facing in Miami but maybe I’m missing something.”

For one thing, Wade and Bosh are both over 30 and either declining or already at their peak. Love is already a lot better than Bosh and hasn’t even entered his prime yet. I wouldn’t say Irving is better than Wade, but he is a much better shooter than Wade and he’s more dynamic on offense, and he’s already a perennial all-star at age 22.

• realfootballfan - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Okay, remember you said that silliness. Bosch was never that great to me, but he at least played defense before he went to Miami. Some of you fans seem to not realize that there are 2 ends of the court, not just offense. Love is not just average on defense. He is horrible.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM

“Bosch was never that great to me, but he at least played defense before he went to Miami.”

Yeah, not really, and if he was it didn’t prevent his team from having the worst defense in the league. At least the Wolves had a top 15 defense with Love.

“Love is not just average on defense. He is horrible.”

The numbers don’t bear that out. Kevin Pelton would tell you that statistically he’s an above average defender overall. He’s not good at rim protection, but he makes up for it elsewhere.

• realfootballfan - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Oh, and btw, 180 would be the opposite of what your’e doing, so pretty sure I was right about that. Go pick up a high school geometry book.

• antistratfordian - Aug 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Yes, Love is an above average defender now. If he did a 180 he’d become a below average defender.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I’m all for bashing people on defense but this has gone too far. Kevin Love & James Harden are great players. There’s been so much hate on their defense that people are totally forgetting how much they bring in every other aspect of the game.

13. dablakdrphil - Aug 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Remember my Lakers had Nash, Gasol, Kobe and Howard and SUCKED, when the Big 3 in Miami came it took them a whole year to gel so we can’t just say Cavs are going to win it all. Honestly we overlook the Spurs every single year and I don’t know why. Greg Popovich is the best coach in the league and we saw how they destroyed the big 3 in Miami.

With that said I feel the Spurs are the favorites to repeat because of their depth. On paper it would appear that the Cavs/Bulls will meet in the East finals (if both parties stay healthy)

Just speaking as a pure NBA Fan I would LOVE to see those two teams go at it.

14. seasickcecil - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:30 PM

A fact I never knew. Love’s uncle, Mike Love, is a founding member of The Beach Boys.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches