Aug 7, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
He had been arrested in New York after he allegedly pointed a gun at his estranged wife. He eventually pled guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm, as well as knowingly having a large-capacity ammunition magazine and a pistol that was unlicensed. Felton was sentenced to 500 hours of community service and ordered to pay a $5,000 fine.
On top of that, the NBA has now suspended Felton the first four games of next season without pay, the league announced Thursday.
“I demonstrated poor judgment and I take full responsibility for my actions,” Felton said in a statement released by the Mavericks.
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban noted in his statement that Felton is allowed to serve is community service hours outside New York and can do them around Dallas.
Snarky Dallas fans took to twitter saying the suspension was a blessing for the Mavericks — Felton struggled mightily last season in New York (which now has Jose Calderon running the point, a much better triangle offense fit).
Felton is going to be fighting for minutes in Dallas with Jameer Nelson and Devin Harris, and if he plays like last season Felton isn’t going to get a lot of them.
Once the suspension ends Felton (rarely the best conditioned athlete in the league, to be kind) will get the chance to turn his career around under one of the best Xs and Os coaches in the game in Rick Carlisle, someone who will put Felton in good positions to succeed. Whether he does anything with that chance remains to be seen. Color me skeptical.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 11
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48