Aug 7, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
As the Heat continue to put together the pieces following the departure of LeBron James, they added some depth by taking a chance a young scorer who has bounced around a bit to begin his NBA career.
Free-agent forward Reggie Williams has reached an agreement on a one-year deal with the Miami Heat, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Williams is expected to play a bench scoring role for the Heat, who are searching for younger, athletic players to bolster their roster.
The young and athletic part isn’t in question, but the reality is that from a production standpoint, Williams has regressed in each of the last four seasons.
Last year in Oklahoma City, Williams managed to make just three regular season appearances, while averaging a career-low 3.7 points and 5.7 minutes per contest.
Williams played two seasons for the Warriors and the Bobcats (now Hornets) before landing with the Thunder, and on a one-year deal in Miami, he’ll likely get a final opportunity to show he can contribute at the NBA level.
Miami has had a busy offseason. The team brought back Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, and added Luol Deng in free agency once LeBron took his talents back to Cleveland. The Heat may no longer be the favorites to reach the Finals in the East, but they will return a competitive squad that’s likely to finish in the top half of the Conference, even with James now playing for the Cavaliers.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10