Aug 6, 2014, 12:33 AM EST
Behind Oklahoma City and Washington, the Raptors are also in the race. They project to have max cap room, are an up-and-coming team and have Durant’s high school teammate and friend, Greivis Vasquez. They also have ties with Drake, another apparent friend of Durant.
At OVO Fest in Toronto, Drake tried to recruit Durant to the Raptors (hat tip: Erik Horne of The Oklahoman) (warning: the video contains an expletive just before it ends):
But Drake also holds an official position within the organization. The Raptors’ media guide lists Drake as “Global Brand Ambassador” and provides this description:
The Toronto native and Raptors season seat holder will assist the team with a number of marketing and basketball initiatives in an effort to raise the team’s profile.
That is precisely what he’s doing in the video – marketing and trying to raise the team’s profile. Paid or not, Drake is doing his job.
He’s also tampering, at least by the letter of the law.
An employee of an NBA team can’t permissibly “induce, persuade, or attempt to entice, induce or persuade, any Player who is under contract to, or whose exclusive negotiating rights are held by, any other Member of the Association to enter into negotiations for or relating to his services or negotiate or contract for such services.”
And to whom does that restriction apply? “To Members and Owners; to Officers, Managers, Coaches, and other employees, agents or representatives of a Member or Owner.”
At minimum, Drake seems like a representative of the Raptors, though doesn’t mean he or the team will face any penalties.
Tampering rules are hypocritical and arbitrarily enforced, so there’s little telling how the league office will respond, though I suspect they’ll turn a blind eye. The Thunder, if they choose, could press the issue by filing a complaint, but that also seems unlikely.
Most likely, this goes nowhere – the tampering allegations and Durant to Toronto.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30