Dion Waiters: LeBron James called few days before decision and said ‘be ready’

Aug 6, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Pat Riley was caught pretty off guard. Dwyane Wade said he didn’t know until the night before. Most of us didn’t find out until the Sports Illustrated letter.

LeBron James clued very few people into his decision to sign with the Cavaliers.

But one person who had an early idea: Cleveland guard Dion Waiters.

Waiters, via Brendan Bowers of SLAM:

“We’ve talked,” Waiters said of his new teammate. “I actually talked with LeBron before he made his decision. He called me and just told me to be ready. Be ready. I talked to him four or five days before he made his decision. He just got on the phone and said I haven’t made my mind up yet but be ready.

I told him that I’m already working hard. I’ll be ready. And he said, I know, I know you are. Then a few days later I read the letter. I was just really excited for the city of Cleveland. I think the city, more than anybody, deserves this. They deserve to have LeBron coming back. I think the excitement is really back in Cleveland and I’m looking forward to being a part of that.”

On the court, I don’t see Waiters and LeBron as a great fit. Waiters can’t do enough off the ball, and the ball obviously will – and should – run through LeBron (and to a lesser degree, Kyrie Irving). It’s to the point I, unlike Waiters, don’t believe Waiters should start.

But there’s clearly a level of trust between LeBron and Waiters, and that can go a long way – if Waiters isn’t included in the Kevin Love trade.

Latest Posts
  1. Pau Gasol on Fred Hoiberg: “I think we’ll play with a better flow offensively”

Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Pau Gasol Pau Gasol

Hoiberg has a much stronger offensive reputation than Tom Thibodeau.

2. Blazers waive Brendan Haywood after acquiring him from Cavs

Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT

Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley

Portland received Mike Miller and two second-round picks in addition to Haywood.

3. Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Austin Toros v Texas Legends Austin Toros v Texas Legends

Lieberman would be the second female assistant coach, after Becky Hammon

4. Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession

Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.

5. Josh Smith clarifies “harder on me” comments in Players Tribune essay

Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings

Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.

6. Tony Parker says for Spurs this is “last crack at it to try to win it all”

Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan Tony Parker, Tim Duncan

In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.

7. Flip Saunders: Kevin Garnett will start for Timberwolves

Jul 30, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

Kevin Garnett AP

Will Karl-Anthony Towns, Nikola Pekovic or Gorgui Dieng start beside him?

8. Flip Saunders still maintains he planned to keep Kevin Love until Andrew Wiggins offer

Jul 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Lottery Getty Images

Timberwolves apparently weren’t just going to trade Love for whatever they could get

9. Mark Cuban: NBA would have punished Tom Brady more harshly than Roger Goodell did

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Mark Cuban

Suspending Patriots quarterback for a quarter of the season was bare minimum for Mavericks owner

10. Report: Team USA uncertain whether Dwight Howard, John Wall will attend minicamp

Jul 30, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT

Dwight Howard, John Wall AP

Jerry Colangelo said attendance was mandatory to be considered for 2016 Olympic team

11. Adam Silver: NBA on track to play regular-season games in Africa

Jul 30, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwm0ndlhnjzlyjziyjk4otqxymqym2y5yzrintq4yjm1 AP

NBA commissioner confident Africa will get a preseason game

12. Thabo Sefolosha: Too soon to say when I’ll play again

Jul 30, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT

Thabo Sefolosha AP

Hawks wing says his leg and ankle feel better

13. 76ers sign Richaun Holmes

Jul 30, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers: Richaun Holmes Portrait Getty Images

Philadelphia drafted Holmes in second round

14. Matt Barnes ready to “foul the beep” out of DeAndre Jordan when Grizzlies, Clippers meet

Jul 30, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthkoty3ytfmn2fjnjvlyjeyytc0mwvlngi0nwqyzmjh AP

Barnes is a perfect fit in for the “grit and grind” style of the Grizzlies.

15. Wesley Matthews says Trail Blazers never made him an offer, “I was pissed off”

Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Portland not making a call means they knew Aldridge was gone and it was time to rebuild.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches