Dion Waiters: LeBron James called few days before decision and said ‘be ready’

Aug 6, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Pat Riley was caught pretty off guard. Dwyane Wade said he didn’t know until the night before. Most of us didn’t find out until the Sports Illustrated letter.

LeBron James clued very few people into his decision to sign with the Cavaliers.

But one person who had an early idea: Cleveland guard Dion Waiters.

Waiters, via Brendan Bowers of SLAM:

“We’ve talked,” Waiters said of his new teammate. “I actually talked with LeBron before he made his decision. He called me and just told me to be ready. Be ready. I talked to him four or five days before he made his decision. He just got on the phone and said I haven’t made my mind up yet but be ready.

I told him that I’m already working hard. I’ll be ready. And he said, I know, I know you are. Then a few days later I read the letter. I was just really excited for the city of Cleveland. I think the city, more than anybody, deserves this. They deserve to have LeBron coming back. I think the excitement is really back in Cleveland and I’m looking forward to being a part of that.”

On the court, I don’t see Waiters and LeBron as a great fit. Waiters can’t do enough off the ball, and the ball obviously will – and should – run through LeBron (and to a lesser degree, Kyrie Irving). It’s to the point I, unlike Waiters, don’t believe Waiters should start.

But there’s clearly a level of trust between LeBron and Waiters, and that can go a long way – if Waiters isn’t included in the Kevin Love trade.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo

Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Jeff Green Jeff Green

Combination of a lower price tag and a more diverse overall skill set may explain why.

2. Andrew Wiggins drops career high 29 on Sacramento (VIDEO)

Nov 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EST

Sacramento Kings v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

When he uses his athleticism to get to the rim good things happen.

3. LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now”

Nov 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Toronto Raptors v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

“This is not even the lowest it’s going to get for us.” —LeBron James

4. Anthony Davis goes off for 43 points (VIDEO)

Nov 23, 2014, 1:04 AM EST

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

There was nothing the Utah Jazz could do.

5. Damian Lillard on flagrant foul from Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy: ‘It was a cheap play’

Nov 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers Chicago Bulls v Portland Trail Blazers

Dunleavy says he was just trying to foul to stop the clock. Watch and decide for yourself.

6. Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return

Nov 22, 2014, 7:06 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Houston Rockets San Antonio Spurs v Houston Rockets

With him and starting power forward Terrence Jones out, the Rockets are very thin up front.

7. Brandon Jennings on reason for Pistons’ offensive woes: ‘We don’t shoot in practice’

Nov 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

Brandon Jennings AP

Detroit is next to last in field goal percentage on the season.

8. NBA corrects scoring error from Raptors’ win over Bucks

Nov 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Toronto won by 42 points, so this only matters if you had a certain Milwaukee player on your fantasy team.

9. If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster

Nov 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

US-BKN-NBA-BULLS-CLIPPERS US-BKN-NBA-BULLS-CLIPPERS

Mike James or Will Bynum could be added to the roster for a short stint.

10. Eric Bledsoe on flagrant foul he took from Nerlens Noel: ‘They did it on purpose’

Nov 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Philadelphia 76ers Phoenix Suns v Philadelphia 76ers

Bledsoe says the Sixers warned him before the game that he would be targeted for his previous comments.

11. Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week

Nov 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook AP

Both are expected to participate in parts of Saturday’s practice.

12. Pacers coach Frank Vogel: ‘very unlikely’ that Paul George plays this year

Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Paul George Paul George

George is trying to get back on the court before the season is finished.

13. Eric Bledsoe takes a shot to the face on first possession against Sixers (VIDEO)

Nov 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Bledsoe said yesterday that Philadelphia would lose to a college team.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches