USA Basketball president on Paul George: “The stanchion is not the issue here”; Coach K talks Rose, roster
Aug 5, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
USA Basketball had a huge blow Friday night when Paul George went down with a scary, horrific injury that will keep him out next season.
After the game USA Basketball’s president Jerry Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski said they wanted to take a step back and gather themselves. But when they spoke with the media on Wednesday they had to deal with was the remnants of that injury. Both how it happened — was the stanchion being too close to the court the problem? — and how they move forward on the court.
Colangelo reiterated that the USA Basketball’s relationship with Las Vegas and the Thomas & Mack arena are fine, and that this was a fluke situation about big players moving fast, not the arena or stanchion. He said USA basketball plans to be back in Vegas.
“The NBA All-Star Game was played on that court with those stanchions. The NBA Summer League is played there…” Colangelo said in a media conference call. “The stanchion is not the issue here. Some people want to make it an issue, but it’s not.”
Coach Krzyzewski said he had planned to play George heavy minutes — which makes sense because of what he would bring defensively — and what you can expect to see now is Team USA get even smaller.
“We have to look at how we will do the perimeter, and it means that some of the guys who play the two will have to play the three. We will be a little smaller without Paul,” Krzyzewski said.
Team USA is down to 16 players now in the pool that will eventually be whittled down to 12: Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), James Harden (Houston Rockets), Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors), Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls), Mason Plumlee (Brooklyn Nets), DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings), DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors), Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons), Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets), Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers), Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks), Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers), Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks), and Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors). Bradley Beal, John Wall and Paul Millsap were released from the team.
• Krzyzewski was effusive with the praise for Derrick Rose: “(Rose) He was sensational all week… fast, strong and decisive… He really created an air of excitement at practices. We were all anxious to see who he was. And who he is is very, very good…
“The first defensive exchange in camp, he was all over the ball-handler. There was a buzz right away. He wasn’t just saying, ‘I’m back.’ He was saying, ‘I’m back at a level that’s elite.’”
• Krzyzewski on whether Gordon Hayward’s chances of making the team just went up with George being out: “We think Gordon is one of the really good young players in the league and is very versatile. With Paul’s injury, losing a guy who is an All-Star who is 6’8”, Gordon is 6’8” also.”
• Krzyzewski on Lillard: “We’re heavy with outstanding talent at the guard spot… Damian had a good week, I think he can play even better. But part of it is growing accustomed to playing with these guys and playing a different role.”
• Krzyzewski on Durant and how he is different than two years before: “I think he’s stronger physically, I think he’s stronger emotionally and wants to assert him in that leadership road.”
• Krzyzewski on DeMarcus Cousins: “Cousins gives us a big that is different than Anthony Davis. We’re looking at the big position, the five, kind of separate from the other four spots. Cousins had a good week…
“His attitude is tremendous in that he wouldn’t come back if this didn’t mean something to him…. He made a huge impact on all of us, during the week but especially at the scrimmage.”
• Krzyzewski on Irving: “Kyrie was one of the better players in the camp, he has one of the unique skill sets at the guard because he can run a team but can also play off the ball because he’s such a good shooter. He’s going to have to do that in Cleveland, too.”
Apr 2, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Kaman can expect to write the league a check for this.
Apr 2, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Lakers clear roster spot to sign Jabari Brown to multi-year deal
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Harden leads Rockets over Kings
Apr 1, 2015, 10:42 PM EDT
Did Lopez travel?
Apr 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
Cavaliers don’t see big deal in report
Apr 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
And he’s playing through it!
Apr 1, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
Texas reportedly focused on Shaka Smart
Apr 1, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Jordan Brand keeps with the Space Jam theme in advance of this weekend’s retro releases.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Oubre a potential lottery pick
Apr 1, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
He’s a bubble first round pick.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
He had only played in one of the last dozen Heat games.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
Seen at Summer League he was project, we’ll see how far along he has come.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
Curry is going to win this award. More than that, he’s earned it.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Anderson has missed the last 18 games due to injury, and New Orleans is trying to catch OKC for the final playoff spot in the West.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
A 16th during the regular season would mean a one-game suspension.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Stephenson didn’t play in his team’s last game as a result of the coach’s decision.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Not as devastating as the one that’s made the rounds, but deadly nonetheless.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
We know it’s LeBron’s world in Cleveland, but this makes Blatt look a bit silly.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
This isn’t the first time one of the Clippers has publicly pointed out the obvious.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
The rivalry continues.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13