Aug 5, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Team USA is not deep along the front line. Kevin Durant will be the USA’s primary power forward with maybe guys like Chandler Parsons and/or Kenneth Faried getting run at that spot. Anthony Davis will be the starting center with a change of pace guy — DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond or Mason Plumlee — off the bench.
What they could use is Kevin Love…
What if Love is traded on Aug. 23 or 24 to Cleveland (as expected), that is a week before the World Cup tips off in Spain. Could Love be added to the roster?
Could? Yes. Likely? Not at all. That’s what USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said in a media conference call on Tuesday.
“We have to be realistic about the situation…” Colangelo said. “For him to join up with us at that point in time would be tough, not just but for him but for our team. Plus you need to look at the fairness factor… Chances are it won’t happen”
No, that does not completely close the door. It’s ajar. But don’t bet on it opening any farther.
Money is the main reason Love will not get added to the team. It’s always about the money. Once Love gets traded he still plans to opt-out next summer and become a free agent, signing a max deal with Cleveland (or, if things go sideways fast, somewhere else). Get injured and his value plummets. The odds are long, but the Paul George situation is a reminder that injuries do happen. Love just can’t risk it.
Then we can get into whether it’s fair for a guy who didn’t go to camp to just jump back in and the rest of it. But we all know money is the deciding factor here. Why do you think the NBA owners are complaining about players in international events? Because they aren’t getting a piece of that pie.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18