Aug 5, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Team USA is not deep along the front line. Kevin Durant will be the USA’s primary power forward with maybe guys like Chandler Parsons and/or Kenneth Faried getting run at that spot. Anthony Davis will be the starting center with a change of pace guy — DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond or Mason Plumlee — off the bench.
What they could use is Kevin Love…
What if Love is traded on Aug. 23 or 24 to Cleveland (as expected), that is a week before the World Cup tips off in Spain. Could Love be added to the roster?
Could? Yes. Likely? Not at all. That’s what USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said in a media conference call on Tuesday.
“We have to be realistic about the situation…” Colangelo said. “For him to join up with us at that point in time would be tough, not just but for him but for our team. Plus you need to look at the fairness factor… Chances are it won’t happen”
No, that does not completely close the door. It’s ajar. But don’t bet on it opening any farther.
Money is the main reason Love will not get added to the team. It’s always about the money. Once Love gets traded he still plans to opt-out next summer and become a free agent, signing a max deal with Cleveland (or, if things go sideways fast, somewhere else). Get injured and his value plummets. The odds are long, but the Paul George situation is a reminder that injuries do happen. Love just can’t risk it.
Then we can get into whether it’s fair for a guy who didn’t go to camp to just jump back in and the rest of it. But we all know money is the deciding factor here. Why do you think the NBA owners are complaining about players in international events? Because they aren’t getting a piece of that pie.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4