Aug 5, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Team USA is not deep along the front line. Kevin Durant will be the USA’s primary power forward with maybe guys like Chandler Parsons and/or Kenneth Faried getting run at that spot. Anthony Davis will be the starting center with a change of pace guy — DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond or Mason Plumlee — off the bench.
What they could use is Kevin Love…
What if Love is traded on Aug. 23 or 24 to Cleveland (as expected), that is a week before the World Cup tips off in Spain. Could Love be added to the roster?
Could? Yes. Likely? Not at all. That’s what USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said in a media conference call on Tuesday.
“We have to be realistic about the situation…” Colangelo said. “For him to join up with us at that point in time would be tough, not just but for him but for our team. Plus you need to look at the fairness factor… Chances are it won’t happen”
No, that does not completely close the door. It’s ajar. But don’t bet on it opening any farther.
Money is the main reason Love will not get added to the team. It’s always about the money. Once Love gets traded he still plans to opt-out next summer and become a free agent, signing a max deal with Cleveland (or, if things go sideways fast, somewhere else). Get injured and his value plummets. The odds are long, but the Paul George situation is a reminder that injuries do happen. Love just can’t risk it.
Then we can get into whether it’s fair for a guy who didn’t go to camp to just jump back in and the rest of it. But we all know money is the deciding factor here. Why do you think the NBA owners are complaining about players in international events? Because they aren’t getting a piece of that pie.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 1
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 7
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6