Aug 5, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
Here’s a full list of remaining unrestricted free agents worth more than a minimum salary:
1. Shawn Marion
3. Ray Allen
4. Andray Blatche (in the right environment only)
The pickings are slim. That’s why the Pacers are especially ill-suited – if there is such a thing when your franchise player suffers a season-ending injury – to replace Paul George. So, they’re going hard at, not only the most appealing name on that short list, but the player who fits best into the role George vacates.
Shams Charania of RealGM:
Indiana can get a disabled-player exception by convincing an NBA-selected doctor George is “substantially more likely than not” to be out through June 15.” I don’t think that’s a tough case to make.
A disabled-player exception would be worth $5,305,000 and could be used to give Marion a one-year contract. That would definitely trump the minimum-salary contract ($1,448,490) Marion’s most-prominent other suitor, the Cavaliers, could offer.
However, the Pacers – even if they waive Donald Sloan’s unguaranteed contract to drop below 15 players – would be just $2,570,314 below the tax line. That small amount, barely larger than a minimum salary, probably won’t tempt Marion to help Indiana try to make the playoffs rather than help LeBron James try to win a championship.
Maybe the Pacers would clear more room below the tax line by waiving Luis Scola and/or Shayne Whittington, both of whom have partially guaranteed contracts, but they can’t afford to trim much depth with George sidelined. Without star power, a deeper rotation becomes more important.
That’s why Indiana is pushing for Marion, but as the team is constructed, making a tempting offer will be difficult.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 2
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 13
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29