Ray Allen says if you think he is locked into Cavaliers, think again

Aug 5, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Four Getty Images

First, don’t bet on Ray Allen returning to the NBA next season. He’s in shape and could play limited minutes off the bench as a shooter, but he doesn’t see himself as a guy who will just take the minimum again just to chase the ring. The buzz I heard from the start is he is not sure he really wants to go for another round, not sure he wants to leave Miami as a home.

If he does decide to go, don’t bet on Cleveland being the destination.

Allen spoke with the Boston Herald and basically said not to put words in his mouth.

“No,” he said when asked about the assumption that he would return as a Cavalier. “There’s so much speculation about me going to Cleveland. I haven’t even decided where I will play. Obviously LeBron and I are great friends, and James Jones and I are really close. But at no point have those two tried to push me in that direction. I haven’t had that conversation. LeBron and I went on vacation to the Bahamas earlier this summer, and we didn’t talk one iota about things. And that was before he made his decision.”

The two teams thrown around with Allen are Cleveland with LeBron or the Clippers with his old coach Doc Rivers, but how Allen talked about L.A. gives you a great idea of his mindset.

“Doc called earlier in the summer,” he said. “A lot of teams want to be able to get me at the veteran’s minimum. I still have an ego, too. I still have a service to provide, and teams still have to pay me what I feel my presence is worth. I have to take that into consideration, if it’s worth putting my body through what it will take over 82 games.”

Bill Parcells used to say that if you’re thinking about retiring, you’re retired. If that is true then we may be have seen the end of arguably the greatest shooter in the history of the game.

1. jimb25 - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:37 AM

For some reason, I think he’s just waiting for the Kevin Love trade before he decides.

• blueintown - Aug 5, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Plot twist: …with the T’Wolves.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 5, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Agreed.
      There’s no spare minutes available at shooting guard on the Cavs roster as currently constructed with Wiggins and Waiters since the Cavs see Wiggins as a 2-guard.
      Meanwhile, their rotation at the small forward position is crowded with LeBron James and Mike Miller and James Jones.
      I don’t see how Allen gets many minutes if he joins now.

However, if Wiggins is traded for Love, suddenly, the Cavs will have 20+ minutes available at shooting guard for somebody to take over.

2. nfl4days - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Personally I would hang it up. two rings, the greatest 3 point shooter of all time, 3 gold medals guaranteed to make he hall, the man has nothing left to prove. However, if he decides to play I’ll be even more excited to see what the cavs can do.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Not to mention he’s earned the 7th most money in career earnings in the history of the league at over $184 million…

3. blogsk3tball - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:02 AM

4. saint1997 - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:42 AM

It will be sad to see a player like him leave the league, so professional in his attitude in my opinion he’s one of the best role models the NBA has to offer

5. campcouch - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Well Ray, the money is drying up so you better make your move soon.

6. jasper36 - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:05 AM

The day after the Cavs acquire Love, Allen will sign in Cleveland for the vet minimum. He’s just making smoke screens to cover up the fact that this was planned during his vacation with LeBron, and James Jones. I don’t know why because he is well within his rights to go where ever he pleases.

7. watermelon1 - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:35 AM

So basically… He hits out the first half of the season. Sees which teams have a shot at the playoffs, and then joins up in about… February.

Perhaps Wizards?

8. ravenswhat - Aug 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM

“I wonder if LeBron played it the tough a** West if role players would follow him around”

Considering he’s by far the best player on earth, I would say there’s a good chance. Any team he goes to instantly becomes a contender. You can’t say that about any other player.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 5, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Durant, etc…

• willkill4caffeine - Aug 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I’ll be honest, if you gave me the names Tim Duncan or Dirk Nowitzki on any other team, that team would immediately get better and be thrust into playoff contention, but that’s different than title contention. LeBron is the only player in my opinion that could go anywhere, and that team would become title contenders. MAYBE Durant, but not to the level of LeBron. It’s just silly how good James is.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM

LeBron only went to the Finals once in all those years in Cleveland.

He had to join up with other superstars in Miami to make it to the Finals.

And he’s leaving Miami to join up with the more talented Cleveland Cavaliers to try to do it again, in what remains a very weak Eastern Conference.

But if you want to think he could make the Utah Jazz or Sacramento Kings instant title contenders, I guess…

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches