Kenneth Faried likes his chances for making Team USA roster

Aug 5, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

There are 16 players left on the current Team USA roster after Monday’s cut down, with 12 going to Spain. The way USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski likes to set things up there will be a regular rotation of seven to nine players (the guys who get most of the minutes), with room for three to five “specialists.” Those are the players who can be relied on for certain skills that could be needed in certain match ups.

Denver’s Kenneth Faried is one of those potential specialists.

“Faried has had a good camp” Krzyzewski told ProBasketballTalk during the team’s camp in Las Vegas. “He’s a rebounding specialist. He’s an energy specialist. So how does that fit in with the core group?”

Well enough to get past the first cut. And Faried told the Nuggets official site on Monday he likes his chances of making the roster going to Spain.

“I’m very high on my chances,” Faried said Monday. “I believe I left a lasting impression for the coaches to like me and make me part of the team, so I can help the U.S. bring home gold this year.”

The USA will go next in Chicago, then a few games and practices in New York. There is no rush for Krzyzewski and crew to make a decision, they don’t have to name a 12 until the day before the tournament starts at the end of the month.

This is going to be a small-ball, guard heavy rotation — Kevin Durant is adjusting to life at the four. But at points the team will need some bulk up front and that’s where the mix of Andre Drummond, DeMarcus Cousins, Faried and Mason Plumlee come in. All of them are not going to make the cut, but likely a couple of them do.

Faried certainly has the chance to be one of those guys — energy, playing fast and hitting the boards hard matters to the USA’s style in international ball. It still seems a little bit of an outside chance, but it could happen the way Coach K talked about him (the only guy that seemed likely was Drummond, but with a lot of practices left a lot of things are up in the air).

1. saint1997 - Aug 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

If Plumlee makes it over Cousins I’ll be fuming, such disrespect to such a quality player. I don’t blame him for an attitude problem if that’s how he gets treated. I’d love for him to swing a trade to DC, form an all-disgruntled team with Wall and Beal

• klinickal - Aug 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM

With PG down they can take both of ‘em. That’s that problem solved, the bigger issue is will cousins feel happy with little playing time? With all those great guards that’s where the game will be and Davis is a glorified guard playing big. Coach K does not like to use too much of his bench either so hopefully you will be on hand to keep Boogie Cousins happy.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I’m curious as to why everyone on PBT thinks Demarcus Cousins is such a great player.

What is it about his game that makes him great?

• cardswin519 - Aug 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM

23 and 12? 26.2 PER, fifth best in the league? He scores and rebounds and plays defense, to answer your question.

• tubbman27 - Aug 6, 2014 at 2:01 AM

He doesn’t play defense. Getting rebounds does not equate to being a good post defender.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM

@cardswin519, you’re talking to a basketball player, not a stats reader. PER means nothing to me.

Everyone on this site also says that Kevin Love is overrated because he puts up inflated stats on a bad team.

As far as I can tell, he’s had no impact on the Sacramento Kings. They’ve gone from a team that perennially won 25 games a season to one that continues to win 25 games a season.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches