Brook Lopez ‘fully cleared’ to play after missing most of last season due to injury

Aug 5, 2014, 12:01 PM EST

Denver Nuggets v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Brook Lopez began last season playing at an All-Star level for the Nets, averaging 20.7 points, six rebounds and 1.8 blocked shots in 31.4 minutes per game.

But he only managed to make it through 17 appearances, before suffering a foot fracture that prematurely ended his season.

The good news is that Lopez has fully recovered, and has received clearance to resume basketball activities with training camp still two months out.

From Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York:

Brooklyn Nets center Brook Lopez, who has been rehabbing after undergoing foot and ankle surgery, told reporters in Russia that he has been “fully cleared for play.”

“I was fully cleared for play and everything about a week and a half ago now,” said Lopez, who is visiting the country with his twin brother, Portland Trail Blazers center Robin Lopez. “… Now it’s time to get back in shape.”

It’ll be interesting to see if the latest iteration of the Nets under new head coach Lionel Hollins will choose to feature Lopez as much offensively, considering the fact that Brooklyn ended up playing much better as the season went on while Lopez was out.

The Nets were just 7-10 in games Lopez played last year, though some of that could be related to so many new pieces being in place on the roster, all of which were being guided by a rookie head coach in Jason Kidd, who took a few months to find his way. Even so, it’s hard to view Lopez being back healthy again as anything but a positive for Brooklyn’s chances of improving next season.

1. mungman69 - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Brooklyn may make the playoffs but not much more.
    #1-Chicago
    #2-Washington
    #3-Cleveland
    #4-Toranto
    #5-Miami
    #6-Atlanta
    No Indiana, no Brooklyn, Boston?, I dunno, do you?

• rodyaugu - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Where’s your 7th and 8th seed, and there’s no way the wizards will be a second seed, and also it’s Toronto not Toranto.

• 76ersdoubletank - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

On paper I would honestly knock Washington down. I can see how people are high on them, but I still think they need Beal to become more consistent or add a stronger third scoring option to be a 2 seed, even in the East.

I actually think Chicago, Miami and Atlanta will be the top three seeds, with Cleveland right there to if they can get Love. Miami still has Bosh and Wade, and Deng will be used much better there than he was in CLE with that mess. Atlanta really has a chance to make a jump this year. Horford coming back with Milsap is a very underrated punch. Cleveland better score a lot, becuase they are going to give up a ton of points.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Difficulty of projecting the East is that so many teams are relying on players with serious injury questions.

I could see the Bulls doing really well if Rose stays healthy.
      I could see the Cavs doing really well if Varejao stays healthy (limited depth at center).
      I could see the Heat doing really well if Wade stays healthy.
      I could see the Hawks doing really well if Horford stays healthy.
      I could see the Wizards doing really well if Nene stays healthy.
      I could see the Toronto doing really well if Lowry stays healthy (he was healthy last year but has had injury problems in the previous 2 years).
      I could see the Nets doing really well if Lopez stays healthy.
      Etc.

So many key guys in the East are coming off reasonably recent injuries.

• Aberam - Aug 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Lopez AND Deron Williams.

2. ebecks34 - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM

7ft tall and 30min of playing time to grab 6 boards. If only he’d grab 2 boards per quarter, he’d average 8.

Besides that, he is almos the same level as Hibbert (6.6/game). You gotta love those seasons where Rodman AVERAGED 18 boards a game

3. mungman69 - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Sorry bout the spelling but that said I don’t think there are teams that deserve a #7 and #8 seed. Washington may be a stretch at the second seed but check back with me in April.

4. duhwighthoward - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Maybe this will be the season when he finally gets a rebound.

Also, why is he so much better than his brother? Robin Lopez looks like a completely uncoordinated oaf on the court.

• eugenesaxe1 - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Robin has better hair.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM

That can’t be disputed.

Of all the identical twins I’ve ever seen basketball including NBA twins Jason and Jaron Collins, Horace and Harvey Grant, the Morris twins on Phoenix, and the aforementioned Lopez bros, one twin is always much, much better than the other.

Why is that?

• eugenesaxe1 - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Maybe because they’ve always played on the same team, one started out with a slight advantage which continued to grow because he got more time against tougher opponents?

Otherwise, I got nothin’. I know the Lopez’ and Morris’ went to the same school, not sure about the others.

5. 88heatnation - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM

The Nets were worst with him on the floor why feature him more. I’d say trade him for picks to PHX and blow everything up. D-Will same goes for you buddy.

• eugenesaxe1 - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Obviously reading comprehension (or straight up reading) isn’t your strong suit.

6. mungman69 - Aug 14, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Yes, the East sucks compared to the west.

7. mungman69 - Aug 14, 2014 at 5:29 AM

I kan rite hear al daz an no body wood coment bout mi spelin

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches