Aug 4, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Shawn Marion wants to win a ring, he said that would be his top priority in signing. He also said he wanted to end his career in Dallas but notice there is no new deal struck there yet. It’s an improved roster in Dallas, but one that can at most offer him the room exception of $2.7 million.
How about Cleveland?
With LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and likely Kevin Love they will be right at the top of the East (with the Bulls). Marion — who played better than 31 minutes a game for the Mavericks last season — could be a nice bit of depth on that roster. Marc Stein of ESPN says the sides are talking.
If you want better confirmation, how about a picture?
This would have to be pretty much a minimum deal.
Marion averaged 10.4 points a game with a solid .537 true shooting percentage and he shot 35 percent from three. He’s not vintage Matrix at age 36, but he can be a solid reserve getting some points and playing some defense.
If winning a ring is what matters the Cavaliers may be the best landing spot. First they are in the softer Eastern Conference and with that super team Dan Gilbert helped put together the Cavs likely do win a ring or three in the next five years.
Dallas still wants Marion back and Indiana would like to talk to him about filling in for Paul George for a year. Other teams are lurking as well. But LeBron gives the Cavaliers a position at the front of the line — guys looking to win want to play with him.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 9
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 4
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28