Aug 4, 2014, 6:03 PM EST
Shawn Marion wants to win a ring, he said that would be his top priority in signing. He also said he wanted to end his career in Dallas but notice there is no new deal struck there yet. It’s an improved roster in Dallas, but one that can at most offer him the room exception of $2.7 million.
How about Cleveland?
With LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and likely Kevin Love they will be right at the top of the East (with the Bulls). Marion — who played better than 31 minutes a game for the Mavericks last season — could be a nice bit of depth on that roster. Marc Stein of ESPN says the sides are talking.
If you want better confirmation, how about a picture?
This would have to be pretty much a minimum deal.
Marion averaged 10.4 points a game with a solid .537 true shooting percentage and he shot 35 percent from three. He’s not vintage Matrix at age 36, but he can be a solid reserve getting some points and playing some defense.
If winning a ring is what matters the Cavaliers may be the best landing spot. First they are in the softer Eastern Conference and with that super team Dan Gilbert helped put together the Cavs likely do win a ring or three in the next five years.
Dallas still wants Marion back and Indiana would like to talk to him about filling in for Paul George for a year. Other teams are lurking as well. But LeBron gives the Cavaliers a position at the front of the line — guys looking to win want to play with him.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39