Aug 4, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Shawn Marion wants to win a ring, he said that would be his top priority in signing. He also said he wanted to end his career in Dallas but notice there is no new deal struck there yet. It’s an improved roster in Dallas, but one that can at most offer him the room exception of $2.7 million.
How about Cleveland?
With LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and likely Kevin Love they will be right at the top of the East (with the Bulls). Marion — who played better than 31 minutes a game for the Mavericks last season — could be a nice bit of depth on that roster. Marc Stein of ESPN says the sides are talking.
If you want better confirmation, how about a picture?
This would have to be pretty much a minimum deal.
Marion averaged 10.4 points a game with a solid .537 true shooting percentage and he shot 35 percent from three. He’s not vintage Matrix at age 36, but he can be a solid reserve getting some points and playing some defense.
If winning a ring is what matters the Cavaliers may be the best landing spot. First they are in the softer Eastern Conference and with that super team Dan Gilbert helped put together the Cavs likely do win a ring or three in the next five years.
Dallas still wants Marion back and Indiana would like to talk to him about filling in for Paul George for a year. Other teams are lurking as well. But LeBron gives the Cavaliers a position at the front of the line — guys looking to win want to play with him.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 30
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 12
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 27
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 27
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64