Aug 4, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Shawn Marion wants to win a ring, he said that would be his top priority in signing. He also said he wanted to end his career in Dallas but notice there is no new deal struck there yet. It’s an improved roster in Dallas, but one that can at most offer him the room exception of $2.7 million.
How about Cleveland?
With LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and likely Kevin Love they will be right at the top of the East (with the Bulls). Marion — who played better than 31 minutes a game for the Mavericks last season — could be a nice bit of depth on that roster. Marc Stein of ESPN says the sides are talking.
If you want better confirmation, how about a picture?
This would have to be pretty much a minimum deal.
Marion averaged 10.4 points a game with a solid .537 true shooting percentage and he shot 35 percent from three. He’s not vintage Matrix at age 36, but he can be a solid reserve getting some points and playing some defense.
If winning a ring is what matters the Cavaliers may be the best landing spot. First they are in the softer Eastern Conference and with that super team Dan Gilbert helped put together the Cavs likely do win a ring or three in the next five years.
Dallas still wants Marion back and Indiana would like to talk to him about filling in for Paul George for a year. Other teams are lurking as well. But LeBron gives the Cavaliers a position at the front of the line — guys looking to win want to play with him.
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 8
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 22
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 79
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38