Aug 4, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Nikola Mirotic signing with the Bulls left just four first-round picks prior to this season who are actively playing outside the NBA:
- Lucas Nogueira (No. 16 in 2013 by Celtics)
- Livio Jean-Charles (No. 28 in 2013 by Spurs)
- Petteri Koponen (No. 30 in 2007 by 76ers)
- Fran Vazquez (No. 11 in 2005 by Magic)
Now, there are three.
Nogueira, who was traded on draft night to Dallas and then Atlanta, was dealt again by the Hawks to the Raptors this summer. The Raptors acquired him for a purpose.
The Toronto Raptors announced Sunday they have signed centre Lucas Nogueira (no-GARE-uh)
Because Nogueira signed within three years of being drafted, he’ll receive a rookie-scale contract for the No. 16 pick in 2014 (the year he’s signed, not drafted).
He gives Toronto 15 players, not including No. 37 pick DeAndre Daniels. The Raptors have until Sept. 6 to offer Daniels a required tender – a contract, guaranteed or unguaranteed, worth at least the league minimum – or he becomes a free agent.
Often, in these situations, a team volunteers to use its connections to secure the player an overseas contract. In exchange, the player agrees to decline the required tender, allowing the team to keep his rights.
I’d guess the Raptors and Daniels agree to such an arrangement.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 18
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 19
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4