Aug 4, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The advantage USA Basketball has is depth. No LeBron James or Russell Westbrook or Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge or Carmelo Anthony? No problem, we just roll out the next crop of stars. And we keep on winning gold.
But when one of those stars goes down — Paul George with a horrific injury that will cost him at least a season — the questions about whether stars will keep playing for the Stars and Stripes and if teams will try to keep their best players out of the competitions becomes the story.
That’s what Matt Stroup and I discuss in the latest PBT Extra. How will everyone react to the George injury long term and could we see a change for the Olympics or other future competitions?
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3