Aug 4, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
But if Paul George had not been the story, Derrick Rose would have been.
We had told you that this week Rose was getting rave reviews out of Team USA practices.
“Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back,” coach Mike Krzyzewski said.
“He’s playing well,” fellow Chicagoan Anthony Davis added. “He’s playing out of his mind. He’s being Derrick Rose.”
Friday night he showed everyone, with quickness and explosion that looked like his old self. He blew by some of the world’s elite players like they were standing still. He was quick end-to-end and showed some nice passing skills as well. He looked like the guy who was the league’s youngest MVP.
All week Rose talked about the maturity of his game now, for example he developed a floater so he wouldn’t have to take the contact going to the rim all the time (after a couple practices he stayed on the court to work on just that shot). He knows he’s got some real talent around him and he doesn’t have to carry the scoring load the same way.
“I’m able to control my body a little bit more, using my speed more, being smart with my speed rather than just running wild out there,” Rose said of his game. “I’’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.”
There was still a little rust on Rose, as is to be expected. But that’s the reason he should be with Team USA this summer, to shake that off and get his confidence back now.
Here’s the key thing, before George went down we were all thinking the same thing: If that Derrick Rose can play 75+ games next season, even if the Cavaliers get Kevin Love to pair with LeBron James and Kyrie they are going to have some serious competition to get out of the East.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4