Aug 4, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Unlike Irving, Wall didn’t play for the national U18 team.
Unlike Irving, Wall didn’t play for Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski in college.
In the end, it was too much for Wall to overcome. He’s one of Team USA’s first set of cuts, a list that also includes Wizards teammate Bradley Beal and Hawks forward Paul Millsap, another late addition to the player pool.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
The roster is now down to 15 players.
- DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
- Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
- Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
- DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors)
- Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons)
- Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets)
- James Harden (Houston Rockets)
- Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz)
- Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks)
- Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers)
- Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks)
- Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)
- Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
And by position:
- Point guard: Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard
- Shooting guard: James Harden
- Small forward: Kevin Durant, Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Korver, Klay Thompson, DeMar DeRozan
- Power forward: Kenneth Faried
- Center: Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, DeMarcus Cousins
Rough prediction: The final cuts will be Faried, Thompson and DeRozan to get the roster down to 12. But I don’t think Jerry Colangelo stops there. Select-team center Mason Plumlee – another former Duke player under Krzyzewski – is probably the favorite over Cousins.
That would leave Team USA with plenty of talent, the ability to play three-guard lineups and enough small-ball fours. It’s a heck of a team when Wall, Beal and Millsap are relatively easy cuts.
The next trimmings shouldn’t be so straightforward.
May 24, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If one play can sum up a game, this was it.
May 24, 2015, 12:57 AM EDT
There’s seemingly no solving Golden State’s dominant defense
May 24, 2015, 12:07 AM EDT
Houston has played well and valiantly this postseason, but the Warriors are simply better.
May 23, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
He did it in nine fewer games than Miller.
May 23, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Great stuff from the game’s best player.
May 23, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Ross, and the Raptors, had a disappointing season.
May 23, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
He certainly is one of the greatest ball handlers of all time.
Lakers GM: If free agents don’t choose L.A. because of Kobe Bryant, ‘we don’t want them. You should go someplace else.’
May 23, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Lakers need a strong-willed star to carry them into their next era of greatness.
May 23, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
I’d say this puts the Hawks in a difficult spot, but they already were in one.
May 23, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
May 23, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
The popular former Magic player would sell well to the fan base.
May 23, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Clean block that was unfortunately called a foul.
May 23, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Atlanta is already down 2-0 to Cleveland in the series, and if Korver misses any time, the Hawks are finished.
May 23, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He would bring a defensive mindset that he team could use.
May 23, 2015, 12:25 AM EDT
Cleveland shut down Atlanta’s offense in a dominant Game 2 performance.
May 22, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
LeBron was great, and that was enough against a Hawks team that keeps losing guys due to injury.
May 22, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
There’s also video of Harden doing some damage in the tunnel on the way to the locker room.
May 22, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Ruled a flagrant, which was probably the correct call under the circumstances.
May 22, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
GM Mitch Kupchak: “It looks as though we’ll use our pick this year.”
May 22, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT
Irving is dealing with a knee injury.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 3
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 18
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7