Aug 4, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Unlike Irving, Wall didn’t play for the national U18 team.
Unlike Irving, Wall didn’t play for Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski in college.
In the end, it was too much for Wall to overcome. He’s one of Team USA’s first set of cuts, a list that also includes Wizards teammate Bradley Beal and Hawks forward Paul Millsap, another late addition to the player pool.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
The roster is now down to 15 players.
- DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
- Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
- Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
- DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors)
- Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons)
- Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets)
- James Harden (Houston Rockets)
- Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz)
- Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks)
- Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers)
- Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks)
- Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)
- Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
And by position:
- Point guard: Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard
- Shooting guard: James Harden
- Small forward: Kevin Durant, Chandler Parsons, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Korver, Klay Thompson, DeMar DeRozan
- Power forward: Kenneth Faried
- Center: Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, DeMarcus Cousins
Rough prediction: The final cuts will be Faried, Thompson and DeRozan to get the roster down to 12. But I don’t think Jerry Colangelo stops there. Select-team center Mason Plumlee – another former Duke player under Krzyzewski – is probably the favorite over Cousins.
That would leave Team USA with plenty of talent, the ability to play three-guard lineups and enough small-ball fours. It’s a heck of a team when Wall, Beal and Millsap are relatively easy cuts.
The next trimmings shouldn’t be so straightforward.
- LeBron makes emotional return to Cleveland tonight, new Nike ad shows city standing together (VIDEO) 29
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 12
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 26
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 23
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 9
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 17
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 39