Report: Andrew Wiggins has not been informed a trade is on the way, anticipates remaining with Cavaliers
Aug 3, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The question of where isn’t all that secretive, either, considering the Cavaliers have the best package of young assets to offer and have been reportedly narrowed down as the last team standing in talks to land Minnesota’s best player.
The details, though, are a bit tricky.
The Timberwolves are likely going to insist on receiving Andrew Wiggins in any package for Love, and Wiggins can’t be dealt for 30 days after signing his rookie contract according to NBA rules. Additionally, Minnesota has some bad contracts it wants to dump as part of the trade (we’re looking at you, J.J. Barea), and that will require involving a third team to take those players off of the Timberwolves hands.
But while the rest of us fully expect a deal to get done at some point (and one that will almost certainly involve Wiggins), the number one overall pick in this year’s draft isn’t so sure he’s going to be dealt.
In speaking to key members of Wiggins’ camp on Aug. 2, they adamantly maintain to CSNNW.com that the Cavaliers have not informed them a trade is forthcoming. This is even despite NBA’s online store recently discontinuing Wiggins’ jersey, Kevin Love withdrawing from World Cup play and Anthony Bennett being held out of pickup games.
All signs point towards a transaction.
“As of now, Wiggins anticipates remaining a Cavalier,” one source close to the rookie said.
This means next to nothing in terms of whether or not a deal involving Wiggins will ultimately take place.
What it does mean is that the details have yet to be worked out, and possibly that the Cavaliers are holding onto the slimmest of hopes that they can come up with some package in exchange for Love that would allow Wiggins to remain in Cleveland — as unlikely as that scenario may seem.
Wiggins appeared in a brief interview with ESPN on Sunday, and didn’t appear to be all that comfortable when the topic was broached.
“I just want to play for a team that wants me, whatever team wants me, I’ll play for,” he said.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20