Ray Allen ‘not in any rush’ to decide on retirement, but sounds like he’s leaning that way

Aug 3, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Practice Day And Media Availability Getty Images

Ray Allen is an unrestricted free agent this summer, after playing 18 seasons of a career that will undoubtedly land him in the Hall of Fame. And while the possibility remains that he may come back next year, his most recent remarks sure do sound like they’re coming from someone whose playing days are finished.

Allen has been recruited to play with LeBron James and the Cavaliers, a team already stocked with many of his former Miami Heat teammates, which would make a transition to playing in Cleveland somewhat seamless. But the agency that reps Allen refuted reports that a deal was anywhere close.

Allen maintains the fact that he’s in no hurry to make a decision on playing next season, but appears to justify not doing so more than anything else.

From Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant:

“I’m not in any rush [to make a decision],” Allen said during a break in the Citi Ray Allen Basketball ProCamp at East Granby High on Saturday morning. “I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes.” …

“To continue playing, really, the only argument is I can because I’m in great shape,” Allen said. “But just because you can doesn’t mean you have to. Many people over these last couple of weeks have lobbied for me to continue to play. … My argument for not playing is, I have done a significant amount in my career and I appreciate everything that has come my way and as I’ve gotten older, I’m 39, there are so many things in life I want to be able to do to affect change — like being around kids full time, which I enjoy.

“So at this point I just feel so good about where I am.”

Right now, Allen is without a team, enjoying life with his family and without basketball.

While a return to action next season remains possible, if Allen does decide to hang ’em up for good, it appears as though he’d be perfectly content with that decision.

Latest Posts
  1. Pacers’ Jordan Hill arrested for reckless driving, clocked at 107 mph

Jul 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Hill told the police he was “in a hurry.” I guess so.

2. Warriors trade Gerald Wallace to Philadelphia in exchange for Jason Thompson

Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Neither guy is going to make a difference on the court for these teams. This was just moving some money around.

3. Trail Blazers guarantee Allen Crabbe’s contract for next season

Jul 31, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT

LV Celtics v Trailblazers Getty Images

Crabbe looked good in Las Vegas at Summer League.

4. Report: Hedo Turkoglu wants to play anther NBA season, Kings possiblity

Jul 31, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings don’t really have the roster spot for him.

5. Grizzlies’ D-League affiliate hires female assistant coach

Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT

NBA.com NBA.com

Iowa Energy add Nicki Gross to coaching staff

6. Report: Joe Johnson “pumped” that Deron Williams bought out by Nets

Jul 31, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT

joe johnson nets sleeved alternates

Johnson makes $24.9 million, but this is the last year of his contract.

7. Report: Knicks to sign Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Jul 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT

20141220 Westchester Knicks at Maine Red Claws Getty Images

New York drafted Giannis Antetokounmpo’s brother last year

8. Report: 76ers second-rounder J.P. Tokoto won’t sign with Philadelphia

Jul 31, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

No. 58 pick will reportedly head overseas or to D-League

9. Knicks waive Ricky Ledo

Jul 31, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

Ricky Ledo AP

Guard didn’t show much in short stint in New York

10. NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure

Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nzjmmwjlotdhnzrhn2iwytixngrhnwi2yzqwyjzk AP

“One thing to come out of this will be more camps, more clinics, more games, more youth competition, and from that you get into infrastructure, and building more courts.” —Masai Ujiri, Raptors GM and native Nigerian

11. Mark Cuban says trading for Rajon Rondo was tough call, “came down to a coin flip”

Jul 31, 2015, 7:59 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

“And the coin flip was as much about, is there going to be anything else that we could do? Because we knew we had to do something.” —Mark Cuban on trading for Rajon Rondo.

12. Pau Gasol on Fred Hoiberg: “I think we’ll play with a better flow offensively”

Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Pau Gasol Pau Gasol

Hoiberg has a much stronger offensive reputation than Tom Thibodeau.

13. Blazers waive Brendan Haywood after acquiring him from Cavs

Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT

Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley

Portland received Mike Miller and two second-round picks in addition to Haywood.

14. Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Austin Toros v Texas Legends Austin Toros v Texas Legends

Lieberman would be the second female assistant coach, after Becky Hammon

15. Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession

Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.

16. Josh Smith clarifies “harder on me” comments in Players Tribune essay

Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings

Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.

17. Thunder sign domestic draft-and-stash pick Josh Huestis

Jul 30, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

Josh Huestis Josh Huestis

Huestis spent last season in the D-League.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Bryant (2764)
  2. B. Haywood (2295)
  3. I. Thomas (2164)
  4. L. James (1908)
  5. A. Randolph (1874)
  1. M. Miller (1866)
  2. G. Robinson III (1754)
  3. N. Young (1731)