Ray Allen ‘not in any rush’ to decide on retirement, but sounds like he’s leaning that way

Aug 3, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

2014 NBA Finals - Practice Day And Media Availability Getty Images

Ray Allen is an unrestricted free agent this summer, after playing 18 seasons of a career that will undoubtedly land him in the Hall of Fame. And while the possibility remains that he may come back next year, his most recent remarks sure do sound like they’re coming from someone whose playing days are finished.

Allen has been recruited to play with LeBron James and the Cavaliers, a team already stocked with many of his former Miami Heat teammates, which would make a transition to playing in Cleveland somewhat seamless. But the agency that reps Allen refuted reports that a deal was anywhere close.

Allen maintains the fact that he’s in no hurry to make a decision on playing next season, but appears to justify not doing so more than anything else.

From Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant:

“I’m not in any rush [to make a decision],” Allen said during a break in the Citi Ray Allen Basketball ProCamp at East Granby High on Saturday morning. “I’ve played 18 years, and the way I look at my career, I’m content with everything that I’ve done. I just want to take this summer and see how it goes.” …

“To continue playing, really, the only argument is I can because I’m in great shape,” Allen said. “But just because you can doesn’t mean you have to. Many people over these last couple of weeks have lobbied for me to continue to play. … My argument for not playing is, I have done a significant amount in my career and I appreciate everything that has come my way and as I’ve gotten older, I’m 39, there are so many things in life I want to be able to do to affect change — like being around kids full time, which I enjoy.

“So at this point I just feel so good about where I am.”

Right now, Allen is without a team, enjoying life with his family and without basketball.

While a return to action next season remains possible, if Allen does decide to hang ‘em up for good, it appears as though he’d be perfectly content with that decision.

1. sportsfan18 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Only if he wants to play.

He’s in the top ten all time for career earnings (#7 at over $184 million)

He’s won a couple of championships.

He’s going to make the HOF.

2. tampajoey - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Ray has been losing his fire since becoming a hired gun.

• gofinsgoheatfloria - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:18 PM

uh – he played for which NBA team for free?

3. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Ray averaged 25-4-4 the four seasons before he got traded to Boston. He was an absolute baller who got a smaller slice of a bigger pie his last 7 seasons and he’s a lock for the hall of fame. Based on what I saw last year it’s probably time to hang it up but it also wouldn’t surprise me to see him come off the bench for a few critical minutes of a big playoff game next season. Whatever else he’s lost he’ll still hit a clutch shot.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM

He’s probably a guy best suited for very limited minutes, and only in certain lineups that would allow his team to hide him defensively. His shooting declined last year, even with him playing with LeBron, and his defense was very, very poor.

But I think that’s part of the issue – he doesn’t want to be forced to travel with a new team like the Cavs and spend months away from his family unless he’s guaranteed a fair amount of playing time.

• spursareold - Aug 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM

.453 -> .419 -> .375

His best remaining skill is 3 point shooting, and looking at the trend line above, it’s definitely going south over the last 3 seasons.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Pro Pundit

You say, basically, that Ray was better before getting traded to Boston.

His stats in Boston were better there than in Milwaukee or Seattle.

His FG% in 5 seasons in Seattle was .440%
      His FG% in 7 seasons in Milwaukee was .450%
      His FG% in 5 seasons in Boston was .472%

His free throw % was higher in Boston than in both Seattle and Milwaukee

His 3 pt % was higher in Boston than in both Seattle and Milwaukee

His true shooting % was much higher in Boston than in Seattle and Milwaukee

His win share per 48 min’s was higher in Boston than in Seattle and Milwaukee

Now, his minutes per game was LESS with Boston than in was with Seattle and Milwaukee.

Can’t score from the bench.

• antistratfordian - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:55 PM

But Allen’s highest WS, WS/48 and highest PER were all from Milwaukee. You’re a PER guy – you’re always citing good old Player Efficiency Rating – but you don’t mention that Allen’s best PER in Boston would only rank 10th in his career.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I can appreciate everything you’re saying about him… but he WAS better in Seattle than he was in Boston. If only because he got to take seven more shots per game.

4. jasper36 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM

If he wants to retire, then why doesn’t he? He acts like he doesn’t want to be remembered as a hired gun. When the truth is, that’s what he is. He’s chasing rings at this point, and there is nothing wrong with that. Because he has been very successful at it the last few years.

5. miamatt - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Either way, it has been a privilege to watch that man play basketball.

6. kingperk123 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

500 hundred buks says he goes to Cleveland when they get Kevin love

• jasper36 - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

And everyone knows it. I’d be floored if he retires. Because it has been spread by the media that he’s leaning heavily toward Cleveland.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Agreed. It makes no sense for him to sign with Cleveland unless they get Kevin Love simply because there won’t be minutes available at shooting guard for Allen unless the Cavs trade away Wiggins.

Wiggins and Waiters each could easily play over 25 minutes, and Allen is too small to defend opposing small forwards and too slow to defend opposing point guards.

However, if they trade Wiggins, he could either be Waiters backup or start ahead of Waiters and give them 15-20 minutes per game.

7. seasickcecil - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Ray best of luck either way.

• au1978 - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

What frickin idiots thumbs down a good luck wish??? Smh.

8. antistratfordian - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Yeah, that makes sense for right now. But you know how it goes… he’ll get the itch again as the season nears.

9. eventhorizon04 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

“the Cavaliers, a team already stocked with many of his former Miami Heat teammates”

LeBron James, Mike Miller, and James Jones.
    That’s 3 players…not sure if I’d call that, “Many.”

But anyway – I think he’s leaning towards retirement, but he would consider joining the Cavs if they trade away Wiggins, which would open up playing time at shooting guard. If the Cavs keep Wiggins and Waiters, I don’t see how Allen could earn significant playing time.

• antistratfordian - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Not just playing time, but with Love a third ring for Allen becomes more likely.

10. dziner305 - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Celtics Traitor knew what he’s going to do. He’s riding LBJ’s d… He stated himself after their (JJones included) vacation with LeBron: ” wherever Lebron goes, location doesn’t matter, I’m going to ride…with (for) him”.

• gofinsgoheatfloria - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:38 PM

“Traitor?” Doesn’t his team having tried to trade him make that sound just a little bit ridiculous?

• beach305 - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Grow up

11. 22yearsagotoday - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Ray Allen had a great career and doesn’t owe any team anything. It’s the other way around, especially for the Celtics who don’t win or go to game 7 against the Lakers without him.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches