Bucks’ Brandon Knight completes a 60-inch box jump (VIDEO)

Aug 3, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Brandon Knight is coming off of a breakout year in Milwaukee after playing his first two NBA seasons in Detroit. And it appears he is spending the summer working out to try to improve upon what was an impressive season with the Bucks.

That’s a 60-inch box jump, say the Bucks, which leads you to believe that one day, Knight may eventually be on the right side of a play like this.

Knight averaged 17.9 points, 3.5 rebounds and 4.9 assists in 33.3 minutes per contest last season, all of which were career highs.

1. ripdipbob - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

No rep!! Didn’t extend hips at the top

2. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I hate to spoil the fun but I’m white, 6’1″, 215lbs and I can do this. I can easily jump on top of any car. It’s not that hard when you get a running start and put your legs out in front of you.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM

If you can do a 60 inch box jump you should be on a track and field team not commenting on an internet blog

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I’m not lying. I could dunk in high school but not anymore. My point is that this is nothing special. Being able to dunk is more impressive than this jump.

• jgreiner9 - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Considering box jumps are an exercise and part of the crossfit craze as well, I believe he’s right to comment. Oh and as someone who has been a part of a strength and conditioning staff for a college, they don’t require a running start and aren’t considered a rep when you fall off backward when you start to extend up. Just saying.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Hey asimonetti88, I just jumped on my car and recorded it. I measured it at 59 inches. Here’s the youtube link, a-hole. (youtube.com/watch?v=A3b3uc3m-oE)

• money2long - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I actually went to the link to see how You look.
        Is that creepy?

• money2long - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Liked your “come at me bro” pose at the end.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM

@money2long haha I wish I knew what some of these guys look like. antistrat especially. Do you think he’s been surgically altered to look like LeBron? Well… so I’m bald and chunky now. I used to be a balla though.

• antistratfordian - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:03 PM

@ProBasketballPundit – That’s not the same thing. You jumped off one foot, for one thing, and then kind of climbed up there. Your foot actually landed more on the door than the roof. You wouldn’t be able to replicate what Knight did. No shame in that though.

• progress2011 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Al Bundy got some HOPS!!!! ahahahahahahahaha!

• pbtunpaidwriter - Aug 4, 2014 at 4:19 AM

@ProBasketballPundit

Lol why are you hiding behind that bush?

• teabone413 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM

i dont agree with 99.9% of what pbp says, but in this case he is right. legit box jumps should start at a stand still.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Aww I’m not that bad, am I? I try to be a rational basketball fan and not just a crazy homer.

• muhangis - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:21 AM

You sound like a joke. You can’t do that in the video, I’m sorry.

• muhangis - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Ok jumping on the car is alot higher than I can jump, cause I can’t jump, but that’s still not near as high as Brandon here!

• bougin89 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM

You can do a 60 inch box jump but can’t dunk anymore?

If you can high jump 5 feet the way Brandon Knight did above you could easily dunk. Easily…

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM

You people are such idiots, especially you bougin89. Putting your knees up in your chest and jumping 20 inches isn’t the same as a vertical jump. Vertical is the only way to measure real leaping ability. My current vertical is 27″. Adding my height of 73 inches + 27 inches vertical + about 22 inches for my reach = ten feet and two inches. I can reach two inches over the rim.

This box jump is a joke. Every guy in the NBA can do it and if they can’t they have no business being a professional athlete.

• bougin89 - Aug 5, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Lol.

Nice childish response. Name calling was cool in 4th grade…but I disgress.

Now, I get that this isn’t a true box jump, but if you can high jump 5 feet running straight forward(while being upright like the video above) you should easily be able to dunk. While your youtube video is funny, it isn’t anything close to resembling what Knight did.

You sound like a really cool dude though. Do you and well, you, go around calling people idiots for fun?

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:09 PM

@bougin89 Okay lets forget the name calling for a minute. I gave you hard measurements. Those numbers are true. In high school I could easily do this box jump and I wouldn’t have to get any kind of running start. I probably had something like a 35″ vertical leap.

Now I could dunk but it wasn’t easy like you say. First of all my hands aren’t big enough to palm a ball so I could only do it on a rebound, alley oop, or with two hands. Actually I don’t even know why I’m talking about me. I’m just trying to compare that this video isn’t anything impressive and it never should have been posted to PBT. I was a high school basketball player but I wasn’t anything special. I didn’t get recruited to college teams. But I could do what this kid is doing. So forgive me for not being impressed.

• bougin89 - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I was a “jumper” back in high school. Track and Field I did all three jumping events, made it to state and medaled in Long and Triple. It would not be easy to jump off of 2 feet and land on top of a high jump bar set at 5 feet.

We can agree to disagree. And see, I can do it without being immature! You should try it sometime.

Have a nice day.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM

“immature” is still an insult or name-call, you dolt. Go f— yourself.

Have a nice day.

• bougin89 - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Haha

Sorry your life has lead you to post comments like this. Immature would be calling someone an amateur name like idiot or dolt because, well, immature people usually are amateur.

You’ve proven yourself quite immature.

• bougin89 - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM

No need to cry.

And no, you’re not better than me. You comment like a 4th grader. Did I take exception to you calling me and idiot, yes, I did because I’m a man who wouldn’t? I called you immature and childish because that’s what people who post comments like you are. Isn’t that obvious?

Keep the F bombs and attempted insults coming, though. It’s kind of like a terrific crash without anyone getting hurt.

• bougin89 - Aug 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I appreciate the call out on the other page. Nothing you stated here is factual though other than your measurements that don’t actually pertain to the video above.

I can admit when I’m wrong like I did in the other page. It goes back to the whole maturity thing. You haven’t gotten to that yet.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Seriously, bougin89, STFU. You called me childish after I presented some information, then immature after I presented some more information then you called me immature another time just for fun I guess. You need to do some self-examination. You’re worse than me.

3. hodaghunter - Aug 3, 2014 at 7:13 PM

A true box jump does not have a moving start…

• 22yearsagotoday - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Guess the Pundit is right! And he admits, indirectly, that he can’t dunk anymore. Still, I’ve got a case of killer beer on the line when it comes to his claim “I could do” the 60 inch box jump even with a running start. Everybody knows white boys can’t jump SARCASM INTENDED TAKE IT EASY!

• 22yearsagotoday - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Sarcasm or pun: take your pick.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Haha I just posted a youtube link to me jumping on my car. Damn I had a big dinner too. I’m about to throw up. Now look, I know I can’t jump like the kid in this video. All I’m saying is a 60 inch jump when you can pick up your feet like that isn’t that impressive. I’m sure he and many others can do better.

4. ripdipbob - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM

@ProBasketballPundit just saw the video 3 times!! Hilarious!!! He wasn’t even wearing his PF Flyers

5. haaaaasoooooo - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM

I’m impressed. Very rare for someone to actually back up what they say. Kudos PBP.

• trevor123698 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM

that jump was a joke

6. jimb25 - Aug 4, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Running start tho? Really? Search for “frank box jump” on youtube and it should be the very first link. That’s what a real box jump is.

7. muhangis - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:27 AM

Okay to get to the real topic and point here, Brandon Knight had a very underrated and under the radar year last year! People forget he was coming off injury missing training camp, started the first 20 games or so really rough and poor (hurt his avg’s), and then EXTREMELY picked it off from about late Jan. or early Feb. onward!

8. hollywood26 - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Dude,

I ran track in college and was a jumper. I’m having a hard time making that box jump. It wasn’t perfect because he didn’t stick it (I wonder if the height of the roof made it an issue to fully extend though because he looked very close).

Dude who did the video THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!!!!

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches