Andrew Wiggins interview gets awkward when he’s asked about potentially being traded by Cavaliers (VIDEO)

Aug 3, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

The NBA held its rookie photo shoot on Sunday, the first time players selected in this summer’s draft appear in their official uniforms for next season.

For the number one overall pick, however, that may not end up being the case.

Andrew Wiggins is widely rumored to be the cost of doing business for the Cavaliers if in fact they’re able to complete a much-talked-about trade with the Timberwolves that would send Kevin Love to Cleveland. While his camp insists that they haven’t been informed that Wiggins is going anywhere, it remains likely that in any final iteration of a deal involving Love, Wiggins would need to be included to satisfy Minnesota’s demands.

All of this made for some awkward moments for Wiggins in a live television interview with ESPN.

Things get going at the 1:50 mark of the video clip above, where the questions about whether or not Wiggins has heard anything about his future begin.

“At the end of the day you have to remember that the NBA is a business before anything,” Wiggins said. “I’m waiting to hear. I’m a rookie. I don’t really have too much say.”

That was followed up with Wiggins saying, “I just want to play for a team that wants me. So whichever team wants me I’ll play for,” before the most awkward exchange of all took place (at the 2:34 mark).

‘Do you think Cleveland wants you,’ Wiggins was asked.

“Yeah,” he said, after a pause of almost three seconds. “I hope so.”

Now, part of the ungraceful exchange was due to the delay in Wiggins hearing the question before answering, and part of it has to do with the fact that Wiggins, like the majority of rookie players, isn’t yet experienced in dealing with the media to this extent, where he’s expected to answer a barrage of somewhat uncomfortable questions about whether his current team wants him, or if he believes a trade is in the cards.

But none of that makes the situation in Cleveland any easier for the 19-year-old Wiggins to deal with.

1. sportsfan18 - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM

It isn’t that they don’t want you. They do. But they/Lebron want to play for NOW.

Think of it this way. In 6 yrs or so, some player and team could want you to come to them and that team, in 2020, could be trading away the next great phenom.

It IS a business. It isn’t YOU.

You COULD be on the other side of this situation in 6 yrs or so from now.

Since it IS business, it’s about roster construction and playing for it now vs. the future.

Some teams ARE playing for now and some aren’t.

IF the Cavs didn’t get Lebron, more than likely you’d remain with them. So it’s the situation and not you.

• sumkat - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM

That would make sense, if you were speaking to a vet

It makes none when you are talking to a 19 year old kid that knows nothing about the business end

• sportsfan18 - Aug 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM

He has an agent and he has parent’s and I’d be shocked if they have not told him this repeatedly over the past several weeks.

It’ isn’t complicated. Someone around him should make sure he understands so he doesn’t “feel” bad and get all of whack.

We’re not talking brain surgery here.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM

sumkat

I just saw eclapitanfiscal’s comment below.

he said his agent should have prepared him for these kinds of questions…

I agree completely and that was my point further above. it’s a business and everyone knows he has an agent… that goes without saying.

• chicagosports2014 - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I bet Wiggins calling lebron all type of names, behind closed doors

\@+/÷%&%$@?\#

2. elcapitanfiscal - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

That’s messed up of ESPN to grill him like that..still, his agent should have prepared him for these questions.

• antistratfordian - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Wiggins did great though. That vulnerability I think only helps his image. People will feel for him now, and people who are seeing him for the first time will like him because of that interview.

• therealhtj - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Won’t do him any good when he’s trying to force his way out of Minny in a few years – although with their track record developing wing guys, they may let him walk.

3. sumkat - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Who would of thought, after getting drafted 1st, then getting LeBron and the tag alongers to sing and make them an instant title contender, less than a month after LeBron getting here, he’d be thinking “I wish Embiid didn’t hurt his foot so Philly would of drafted me”

• 00maltliquor - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Philly wouldn’t have had that chance. MIL would have snapped him up at #2.

4. csbanter - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Lebron wants to win now in Cleveland his statements about its not going to happen right away was a smokescreen to soothe the feelings of Heat fans. Lebron has taken on Diva status everything has to be perfect room temperature water, 3 ice cubes precisely shaped, imported tea in fine china.

To think he was compared to the G.O.A.T…lol whatta joke. Wiggins should be counting his lucky stars his growth as a player won’t be stifled by his majesty the king.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

one may be a diva and still be the best player and able to teach and help a talented rookie out.

i’m not saying Lebron is a diva either. I’m not a fan of LBJ as ya’ll know on here but I don’t think he’s a diva.

it’s human nature for ALL of us to try and game the system. we do it at work, with neighbors, for our kids and on and on.

LBJ is simply doing what he’s able to get away with. others have done it and others will in the future too.

i think Wiggins would learn a lot more from LBJ than with anyone on the Timberwolves roster… and that’s even if LBJ was a diva.

• mrhonorama - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Name a young player who developed with Lebron. Didn’t seem to help Chalmers or Cole all that much.

5. j0esixpack - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Gotta be tough after spending his entire career with Cleveland

6. chitownmatt - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Wish this kid the best wherever he ends up.

7. volcom2143 - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:39 PM

There could be a lot worse things for a 19 yr old than to be getting paid millions to play a kids sport and have people wear your jersey . So what if he has to wait an extra month to find out where he is playing . He’s really not in that bad of a situation . Either way the dude will be ballin in the nba next year

8. nicofthenorthstar - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Actually, “the ungraceful exchange” was the result of a reporter asking questions that he knew Wiggins did not have answers to in the hopes that he would say something that sports reporter types could get all hot and bothered about. The kid did fine. The reporter? About as well as can be expected, which isn’t saying much.

9. djshnooks - Aug 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I typically won’t watch stuff like that when I see it posted…but this compelled me to do so because I wanted to see how he reacted…and I must say I am impressed.

This kid has a new fan in me…to be put in this position and keep a cool head, how many of us could go on dealing with our business and not outwardly show that you are thinking about it, or nervous about it?

Clearly anybody would want to play with Lebron…which makes that guys question pretty stupid, about where do you want to play…but allowing this kid to develop his own game, on his own time, is best for him, whatever team he is on and the league.

This can only serve as motivation…and with as talented as he is, I’d hate to be the one in this kids way when/if he’s traded.

I’m rooting for Andrew Wiggins now…and I’d rather see Lebron work with a bunch of kids in Wiggins, Irving, etc, and build to dominate for a decade…than bring in Love and a bunch of vets for a couple runs. That would cement his legacy even more.

I’m also a Celtics fan and I don’t want Love to end up there either. I wanna see Smart and Young and Sullinger and Olynyk grow into a team that can compete together.

I guess I’m just used to the old days where players stayed where they were drafted for most of their careers…just the same, I like it better when teams rebuild the right way.

Either way, I’m rooting for this kid now.

• shanelsweet - Aug 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I’ll never understand folks who honestly would prefer their team not be good right now in return for being good at some future, indeterminate date, if ever.

And, really? Tthat’s how LeBron should cement his legacy, by not winning championships in his prime?

• muhangis - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:29 AM

Because the NBA will go past next season, eventually. It’s called an ‘investment’, and if you don’t understand an investment than I don’t know what to tell you. Sometimes you have to put value and importance into your future. Just like someone is paying expensive money now for real estate or stocks, and you will not get anything much now, but you will get a long return in the future.

Or like going to college – spending alot of money and hard work – sometimes in the mean time requiring one to turn down that $8 an hour job, that will help help them only for the temporary being, and spend their limited time in school – for what? In return for that nice career, for a *nicer future!

So essentially, an investment for a NICER and BETTER future..

..I mean, I don’t know…. what’s there not to understand? Unless you are simply short-sighted.

• muhangis - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:35 AM

With that said, trade for Kevin Love. Andrew Wiggins is still a bit of an unknown, a talented and skilled unknown, but regardless an unknown. And def for one thing, even if he turns out very good (which he should), it is not certain that he will turn out better than Kevin Love. I mean Love sets a very, very high bar!

Take the proven (and still young player) in Love! Cavs have to remember, their window may not be as big as they think, Lebron is already 30 years old and counting..

[if Lebron was 23 or 24 that may be different]

• muhangis - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:46 AM

shanelsweet, I mean by your logic…. why does the team with the 1st pick in each years draft not trade it every year, for the old, proven veteran? Cause they know which one will pay off for them best in the many more years to come!

Or, just imagine in the ’96 Draft if the Nets would have picked Kobe Bryant (player of future) over Kerry Kittles (player of now) ???

Was that a wise choice? No.

Every individual season in the NBA comes and goes, that’s why you make moves that will work for you for the most multiple seasons in the long run.

10. canadatude - Aug 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Kid said he would like to play in his home town, Toronto. Give it a few years.

11. campcouch - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Stay or go, I’ll still be a fan.

12. tomtravis76 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Sure would be funny if LeBron and love( if traded to Cavs) left after one or two seasons, leaving Cavs with an almost maxed kyrie.

13. program33 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:17 AM

If he goes or stays, either way I hope he gets p%$$#@, plays with a chip on his shoulder and goes completely off. I am pulling for the kid.

14. harshedmellow - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:33 AM

NBA is rockin’ this offseason.

15. muhangis - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:32 AM

“Now, part of the ungraceful exchange was due to the delay in Wiggins hearing the question before answering, and part of it has to do with the fact that Wiggins, like the majority of rookie players, isn’t yet experienced in dealing with the media to this extent” ????

….. I thought Wiggins handled the interview pretty well and maturely honestly! I don’t get the criticism here. What better answers was this guy supposed to say?

16. illogic87 - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM

how funny would it be if cavs trade wiggins for love and love opts out next year LOL

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches