Aug 2, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Hawks have an All-Star power forward in Paul Millsap. They have an even better center in Al Horford who many believe is best suited to play power forward. And they just used their first-round pick on another power forward, Adreian Payne.
That’s why Mike Scott, despite a quality second NBA season last year, was considering a ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia. With the ability to get along without him, Atlanta had leverage over the restricted free agent in contract negotiations.
But the Hawks wisely realized they shouldn’t lose the 26-year-old for no return.
Restricted free-agent forward Mike Scott has reached agreement on a three-year, $10 million contract to stay with the Atlanta Hawks, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
This is a pretty fair deal for both sides. Scott stays in America on a good salary for a former second-round pick, and he should get enough minutes behind Millsap, who can also play small forward.
The Hawks now have 14 players for next season with free agents Gustavo Ayon and Elton Brand and No. 48 pick Lamar Patterson still unsigned. Brand wants to play next season, and Ayon is healthy enough to play for Mexico this summer.
Atlanta has a little time to decide on that final roster spot. Patterson is due a required tender – at least a one-year, minimum-salary contract offer – by Sept. 6 or else he becomes a free agent. Even then, the Hawks could give him a fully unguaranteed deal and delay a decision until the maximum roster size drops to 15 before the regular season begins.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4