Aug 2, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Hawks have an All-Star power forward in Paul Millsap. They have an even better center in Al Horford who many believe is best suited to play power forward. And they just used their first-round pick on another power forward, Adreian Payne.
That’s why Mike Scott, despite a quality second NBA season last year, was considering a ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia. With the ability to get along without him, Atlanta had leverage over the restricted free agent in contract negotiations.
But the Hawks wisely realized they shouldn’t lose the 26-year-old for no return.
Restricted free-agent forward Mike Scott has reached agreement on a three-year, $10 million contract to stay with the Atlanta Hawks, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
This is a pretty fair deal for both sides. Scott stays in America on a good salary for a former second-round pick, and he should get enough minutes behind Millsap, who can also play small forward.
The Hawks now have 14 players for next season with free agents Gustavo Ayon and Elton Brand and No. 48 pick Lamar Patterson still unsigned. Brand wants to play next season, and Ayon is healthy enough to play for Mexico this summer.
Atlanta has a little time to decide on that final roster spot. Patterson is due a required tender – at least a one-year, minimum-salary contract offer – by Sept. 6 or else he becomes a free agent. Even then, the Hawks could give him a fully unguaranteed deal and delay a decision until the maximum roster size drops to 15 before the regular season begins.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 9
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11