Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever”

Aug 2, 2014, 1:22 AM EDT

Through what was a horrific injury that ended the Team USA exhibition Friday night in Las Vegas and had other players reaching out to him, Paul George was probably the calmest person on the court. Which considering this appears something that will cost him a season at least and maybe more, is pretty impressive.

Later Friday night George tweeted this:

Everybody around the NBA was thinking of George.

“It was difficult to watch the injury that Paul George sustained tonight while representing his country. The thoughts and prayers of all of us at the NBA are with Paul and his family,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a released statement.

Pacers’ president and GM Larry Bird added this:

“We are aware of the injury sustained by Paul George in Friday night’s Team USA game in Las Vegas and we are greatly concerned. At this time our thoughts and prayers are with Paul. We are still gathering details and will have an updated statement Saturday.”

The growing question is will this be the end of “dream teams” as other GMs will try to steer their top players away from these kinds of competitions.

That said, these kinds of competitions — particularly the Olympics — are huge international stages for these players brands (and their shoe brands) so there will be pressure to play.

But you can bet more and more owners are thinking like Marl Cuban tonight.

1. money2long - Aug 2, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Game changer eh ? I touched on this. Owners unite.

• money2long - Aug 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM

The people who thumbed down my comment about owners thinking of not allowing star players anymore , looks like you weren’t thinking like a millionaire. The owners were thinking just like me. Fools.

• balsagna - Aug 2, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I don’t understand why people try to explain their posts to people who thumbs them down. It’s a blog comment section… Who cares?

• money2long - Aug 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Please be a doll and “explain” where the “explanation” of my post is.
        I’m very curious. I’m pretty sure you quite dumb and don’t know what an explanation truly is.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Aug 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM

HAHA, no one likes you money2long

• money2long - Aug 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I don’t feel that way, that no one likes me. Actually I just don’t think I get race reviews when I call out People who thumbs down my posts followed by why I was in fact accurate.

Any other time I think I’m pretty favorable.

• money2long - Aug 2, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Rave reviews *

2. Nadeem - Aug 2, 2014 at 2:22 AM

Seemed like a career ending injury…luckily for him, at least he signed a super max deal which will keep him financially secure.

• Nadeem - Aug 2, 2014 at 2:23 AM

…and ruin any chance of his team being relevant in the NBA till his deal is on the books. Double whammy for Indy tonight.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 2, 2014 at 3:10 AM

I’m not a doctor, and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I could be horribly wrong, but while it is obviously a serious injury, broken bones are probably easier injuries to come back from than torn ligaments/tendons/etc. If it is a broken leg, he should be able to come back in due time.

• Kevin S. - Aug 2, 2014 at 4:52 AM

If it truly was career-ending, Indiana could get his deal off the books, with insurance paying most of it.

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 2, 2014 at 3:31 AM

What an incredibly sad injury. I just watched it again on youtube and it was nasty. Flat out nasty. My only question is, will his contract be guaranteed? I would hate to hear that there was some loophole where the team could void his contract for some dumb reason (not playing in a team-sponsored event, for instance).

• bkbell3 - Aug 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM

His contract will still be good, i believe he has to miss 41 games then the insurance will pay i think 80% of his contract to the team who will still pay him. They will probably after a certain point get an injured player exception if he is out for long enough next year. I’m not sure but i think it is for about 5mil but i could be wrong

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Good, I’m glad. I knew about the team in regards to the injury exception, but it’s good that George will get his money too.

3. 1friendofthepeople - Aug 2, 2014 at 2:27 AM

At least it wasn’t a knee.

4. samsonight1010 - Aug 2, 2014 at 3:17 AM

I love a good Marl Cuban reference, the lesser-known brother of Mark Cuban and owner if the Indiana pacers

5. campcouch - Aug 2, 2014 at 3:46 AM

Had time to tweet. ha.

• money2long - Aug 2, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Probably family did for him.

• bball242322 - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM

well duh? he’s bed-ridden for the next 3 days. anyone would have time to tweet?

6. blogsk3tball - Aug 2, 2014 at 5:40 AM

I don’t doubt he will be back on the court in a season or maybe 2. But i do doubt he will be close to the same player he is now.

I just can’t see his legs holding up to his running and jumping ability when they are fixed with steel rods and screws. It’ll damage his other bones.

7. rrhoe - Aug 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM

I watched it for the first time just now,the basket support left no room to land,seemed almost inevitable that someone would get injured sooner or later.

8. doctorbluff - Aug 2, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Haven’t been able to bring myself to watch it, just saw a screenshot and that was enough. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Paul George. His story of working hard every year to improve his game is pretty inspiring. Guy worked his way from a relative unknown at Fresno State to a max contract, all-NBA caliber, team USA level talent.

9. 1friendofthepeople - Aug 2, 2014 at 7:55 AM

I hope he’s able to recover the best way he can even if it means taking those infamous ”PED” type recovery drugs.

If I’m PG I’m more worried about the health of my lower leg and my future as an NBA player than the league’s punishment for using PED’s. Those recovery treatments offer terrific temporary benefits and no type of long term benefits or advantages he could use on the court a year from now if/when he recovers.

10. drunkenjunk - Aug 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM

bet the pacers wish they kept Stephenson now.

11. ripdipbob - Aug 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Wish is was LeBron instead

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I wish it was your effeminate father. A broken fingernail would keep him out for the season.

12. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Yeah I’ll bet Paul George sent a tweet out between surgeries and morphine drips. Funny, Tony Parker tweeted the exact same thing like 4 minutes after Paul George.

13. themagicfanguy - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Pump this man full of HGH and whatever else will help.

14. bball242322 - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Man i feel so sorry for Paul. Great to see ALL the NBA players rally behind him. Truly shows how good of a player he was

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches