Aug 2, 2014, 1:22 AM EST
Through what was a horrific injury that ended the Team USA exhibition Friday night in Las Vegas and had other players reaching out to him, Paul George was probably the calmest person on the court. Which considering this appears something that will cost him a season at least and maybe more, is pretty impressive.
Later Friday night George tweeted this:
Everybody around the NBA was thinking of George.
“It was difficult to watch the injury that Paul George sustained tonight while representing his country. The thoughts and prayers of all of us at the NBA are with Paul and his family,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a released statement.
Pacers’ president and GM Larry Bird added this:
“We are aware of the injury sustained by Paul George in Friday night’s Team USA game in Las Vegas and we are greatly concerned. At this time our thoughts and prayers are with Paul. We are still gathering details and will have an updated statement Saturday.”
The growing question is will this be the end of “dream teams” as other GMs will try to steer their top players away from these kinds of competitions.
That said, these kinds of competitions — particularly the Olympics — are huge international stages for these players brands (and their shoe brands) so there will be pressure to play.
But you can bet more and more owners are thinking like Marl Cuban tonight.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 6
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 2
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 18
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 48
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12