Aug 2, 2014, 1:22 AM EDT
Through what was a horrific injury that ended the Team USA exhibition Friday night in Las Vegas and had other players reaching out to him, Paul George was probably the calmest person on the court. Which considering this appears something that will cost him a season at least and maybe more, is pretty impressive.
Later Friday night George tweeted this:
Everybody around the NBA was thinking of George.
“It was difficult to watch the injury that Paul George sustained tonight while representing his country. The thoughts and prayers of all of us at the NBA are with Paul and his family,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a released statement.
Pacers’ president and GM Larry Bird added this:
“We are aware of the injury sustained by Paul George in Friday night’s Team USA game in Las Vegas and we are greatly concerned. At this time our thoughts and prayers are with Paul. We are still gathering details and will have an updated statement Saturday.”
The growing question is will this be the end of “dream teams” as other GMs will try to steer their top players away from these kinds of competitions.
That said, these kinds of competitions — particularly the Olympics — are huge international stages for these players brands (and their shoe brands) so there will be pressure to play.
But you can bet more and more owners are thinking like Marl Cuban tonight.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 0
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10