Paul George has successful surgery following right leg fracture, likely to miss the entire season for Pacers
Aug 2, 2014, 9:28 AM EST
Once the gravity of the injury suffered by Paul George at Friday night’s USA Basketball Showcase had set in, all that was left was to wait for the doctors to go in and assess the damage.
George suffered what can only be described as a catastrophic right leg fracture early in the fourth quarter of the exhibition contest, when he was flying in to contest on a fast break and landed awkwardly with his leg getting caught on the basket stanchion. He was carted off on a stretcher, and the game was stopped at that moment due to the severity of the situation.
USA Basketball released a brief statement stating that George had suffered a “right leg, open tibia-fibula fracture,” and underwent successful surgery that would require him to remain hospitalized for three more days.
If there’s any good news to report, it’s that doctors didn’t find any ancillary damage during the surgery — but George is expected to miss the entire NBA season.
Pacers guard Paul George had a “good surgery. No ancillary damage” but likely out for next season, a source told Yahoo Sports.
Paul George is indeed out of surgery & anyone who loves bkb should rest a little easy: I’m told everything went well. No new damage found.
Paul George is out of surgery. Word is it went well and there’s hope he could return before end of next year, but probably miss season
That’s the best that could have been expected under the circumstances.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 10
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 27
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 13
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15