LeBron James leads long list of players wishing Paul George the best after suffering serious USA Basketball injury
Aug 2, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
USA Basketball held a scrimmage at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas on Friday that was meant to get a look at guys competing for one of 12 roster spots to play in the FIBA World Championships later this summer.
But all of that became an afterthought once one of the star players went down with a serious injury.
Paul George appeared to suffer a lower leg fracture, after he collided with the basket stanchion while attempting to defend a fast break attempt. It was immediately realized by everyone just how severe the injury was, and after George was carried off on a stretcher, USA Basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski made an announcement that the rest of the scrimmage would not be played.
“There’s a brotherhood in the NBA and to me, at moments like this, family or brotherhood shows its heart,” Krzyzewski said afterward.
Players were visibly upset by what they had witnessed, and what seemed like the majority of the league took to Twitter to express their support for George — including LeBron James, who posted photos of himself and George to his Instagram page, along with a get-well message.
“Hurt my stomach the moment I heard the news! I didn’t want to believe it. Man I need u out there bro! Get well and have a speedy recovery PG24! #DamnIt #YoungKing #StriveForGreatness”
Search Twitter for NBA players, and you’ll see essentially the same message, most of which include some variation of “thoughts and prayers” directed at George, wishing him nothing but the best during what’s obviously an incredibly difficult situation.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18