Celtics first rounder James Young cleared after concussion in car crash

Aug 2, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

James Young James Young

James Young, coming out of Kentucky, was in a car crash that caused him to miss several pre-draft workouts.

Possibly as a result, he slid to No. 17, where the Celtics drafted him.

Young also missed summer league, not necessarily a career-altering setback but a concern nonetheless. Whenever a player injures himself away from the court and hasn’t returned, the uncertainty of the situation leaves the public in the dark – and sometimes fearing the worst. It didn’t help that Young, at the time of the crash, wasn’t with a team that could disseminate any information and alleviate fears.

But Young recently cleared up his status.

Young, as transcribed by Kyle Tucker of The Courier-Journal:

On what happened in his accident: "It was just the car in front of me stopped so fast and I just didn’t react fast enough and just rear-ended them. It was in L.A."

On missing the summer league: "It was tough for me, because I had a concussion. I got a chance to meet with some of the guys and stuff like that. Great team, great facility, and the coaching is really great. So I had a chance to just walk around and talk to some of the guys about their past experiences and stuff like that. They’re a bunch of great guys."

On whether he’s good to go health-wise now: "Yeah, I just got cleared a few days ago, so I’m good now."

On having a car accident right before the draft being scary: "It definitely was, because it shows how fast things can change. It really opened my eyes about things and I’m very blessed that I’m here and I get to still play."

I’m glad to hear Young is OK.

The Celtics were among the draft’s winners, because they nabbed Young and Marcus Smart. For now, both players will be competing for minutes in a backcourt that also includes Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Marcus Thornton. But some day – with Young healthy – he and Smart might their become own set of starting guards.

Latest Posts
  1. Anthony Davis excited to get running in Alvin Gentry’s offense

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.

2. Chris Kaman has new reality show, to air on Mark Cuban’s network

Jul 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers Philadelphia 76ers v Los Angeles Lakers

“I think someone who would watch this would think there is something wrong with me and something wrong with my friends.” — Chris Kaman

3. Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves

Jul 29, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT

Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller Shabazz Napier, Andre Miller

Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns are about to be finishing alley-oops from the best lob passer in the game.

4. Warriors promote Luke Walton to lead assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Kerr says Luke Walton is a future head coach in the NBA.

5. Raptors’ coach Dwane Casey says expect more small ball from the Raptors this year

Jul 29, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Washington Wizards - Game Four Getty Images

Toronto has shifted the roster to be more defensive, and be able to go smaller.

6. Raptors hire Jerry Stackhouse as assistant coach

Jul 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Stackhouse drives against Carter Getty Images

Rex Kalamian and Andy Greer also join Dwane Casey’s staff

7. Jerry Colangelo: I think LeBron James wants to be part of Team USA

Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmxmdgxmdzhnmq1mwfkn2ewnwi0m2zkowvjzwnhmdmz AP

Cavaliers star has avoided making a public decision

8. Brazil’s automatic basketball bid for 2016 Olympics in jeopardy over money

Jul 29, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernandez, Leandrinho Barbosa AP

If Brazil qualifies through FIBA Americas Championship, that could close door for another North/South American team from qualifying

9. Phil Jackson on Kobe Bryant: ‘I could feel his hatred’

Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Lakers were in a bad place when Jackson first stepped away

10. LeBron James Twitter Q&A: NFL career, Kobe Bryant’s best play, Ronda Rousey and more

Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers Cleveland Cavaliers v Los Angeles Lakers

Cavaliers star also addresses his favorites – including place to play, rapper, and teammates

11. Hornets sign Elliot Williams as 16th player

Jul 29, 2015, 9:26 AM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

He’ll likely compete with Aaron Harrison to make regular-season roster

12. Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market

Jul 29, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson and J.R. Smith head the list.

13. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

Top 10 NBA Player Searches