Aug 2, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
James Young, coming out of Kentucky, was in a car crash that caused him to miss several pre-draft workouts.
Possibly as a result, he slid to No. 17, where the Celtics drafted him.
Young also missed summer league, not necessarily a career-altering setback but a concern nonetheless. Whenever a player injures himself away from the court and hasn’t returned, the uncertainty of the situation leaves the public in the dark – and sometimes fearing the worst. It didn’t help that Young, at the time of the crash, wasn’t with a team that could disseminate any information and alleviate fears.
But Young recently cleared up his status.
On what happened in his accident: "It was just the car in front of me stopped so fast and I just didn’t react fast enough and just rear-ended them. It was in L.A."
On missing the summer league: "It was tough for me, because I had a concussion. I got a chance to meet with some of the guys and stuff like that. Great team, great facility, and the coaching is really great. So I had a chance to just walk around and talk to some of the guys about their past experiences and stuff like that. They’re a bunch of great guys."
On whether he’s good to go health-wise now: "Yeah, I just got cleared a few days ago, so I’m good now."
On having a car accident right before the draft being scary: "It definitely was, because it shows how fast things can change. It really opened my eyes about things and I’m very blessed that I’m here and I get to still play."
I’m glad to hear Young is OK.
The Celtics were among the draft’s winners, because they nabbed Young and Marcus Smart. For now, both players will be competing for minutes in a backcourt that also includes Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Marcus Thornton. But some day – with Young healthy – he and Smart might their become own set of starting guards.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48