Aug 2, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
James Young, coming out of Kentucky, was in a car crash that caused him to miss several pre-draft workouts.
Possibly as a result, he slid to No. 17, where the Celtics drafted him.
Young also missed summer league, not necessarily a career-altering setback but a concern nonetheless. Whenever a player injures himself away from the court and hasn’t returned, the uncertainty of the situation leaves the public in the dark – and sometimes fearing the worst. It didn’t help that Young, at the time of the crash, wasn’t with a team that could disseminate any information and alleviate fears.
But Young recently cleared up his status.
On what happened in his accident: "It was just the car in front of me stopped so fast and I just didn’t react fast enough and just rear-ended them. It was in L.A."
On missing the summer league: "It was tough for me, because I had a concussion. I got a chance to meet with some of the guys and stuff like that. Great team, great facility, and the coaching is really great. So I had a chance to just walk around and talk to some of the guys about their past experiences and stuff like that. They’re a bunch of great guys."
On whether he’s good to go health-wise now: "Yeah, I just got cleared a few days ago, so I’m good now."
On having a car accident right before the draft being scary: "It definitely was, because it shows how fast things can change. It really opened my eyes about things and I’m very blessed that I’m here and I get to still play."
I’m glad to hear Young is OK.
The Celtics were among the draft’s winners, because they nabbed Young and Marcus Smart. For now, both players will be competing for minutes in a backcourt that also includes Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley and Marcus Thornton. But some day – with Young healthy – he and Smart might their become own set of starting guards.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13