Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
We tend forget just how good Vin Baker was for a stretch in the 1990s — a four-time All-Star who averaged 21 and 10 in 1997 for the Bucks — or that he was a member of the 2000 Olympic team in Sydney.
You tend to remember the Vin Baker who was battling alcoholism toward the end of his career, the one that has had financial issues after he left the game. (He quit drinking and is in seminary school, according to a story about him from last year.)
The gold-plated silver medal weighs 6.85 oz, is 5mm thick and measures 68mm across. It is attached to a 39” turquoise-blue ribbon embroidered with “SYDNEY 2000” in silver. The medal features a design by Australian designer Wojciech Pietranik; it depicts Nike, the Greek goddess of victory, seated above the stadium and chariot along with “XXVII OLYMPIAD SYDNEY 2000”. This translates to “Games of the 27th Olympiad Sydney 2000”.
The biddings starts at a cool $35,000 and is open until Aug. 20.
Baker did play in Sydney, appearing in all eight USA games and averaging 8 points and 3 boards a game. That team was led by Vince Carters’s 14 points a game while Kevin Garnett (10.8) and Alonzo Mourning (10.2) chipped in.
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 8
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 22
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 79
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38