Aug 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
The exact terms of the Kevin Love to Cleveland for Andrew Wiggins trade is still in flux. Nothing can be done officially until Aug. 23 anyway — the soonest Wiggins can be moved because of a 30-day moratorium after signing his rookie contract —and if you think the sides are going to reach an agreement in that window then just sit on their hands and not try to leverage more out of it, well, you’ve never really watched NBA trades go down. Everyone needs a deadline or pressure to pull the trigger.
Most reports say the talks have stalled, at least at the highest levels, the guys who can pull the trigger. That said, lower level conversations are always going on. Minnesota would like to unload either J.J. Barea or Kevin Martin and their deals in this, even if it takes a third team, and they are trying to find a way.
The crux of the trade appears to have the Cavaliers sending Wiggins, forward Anthony Bennett and a 2018 first-round pick to Minnesota for Love and possibly forward Corey Brewer. The Timberwolves might want to dump point guard J.J. Barea’s $4.5 million contract in a deal.
Not might, do. Which is one reason this I see as more rumor than report.
Brewer would be a nice bit of depth added to Cleveland, an athletic, slashing small forward who scored 12.3 points a game with a quality true shooting percentage of .550 last season. He’s not a guy you are going to pair a lot with LeBron James because he doesn’t space the floor (28 percent from three last season) but he would be a good energy guy to use for 20 minutes a night while LeBron sits.
Brewer would be a good fit going back to Minny in this deal.
But as noted above I would take this with a grain of salt, the News Herald report says a framework is done on the deal but nobody else is saying that, and certainly nobody out of Minnesota. I’m sure people in Cleveland and sources in the organization would like to think they have a framework, but Flip Saunders is going to try and squeeze every last drop of blood from this stone.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11