Aug 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
The exact terms of the Kevin Love to Cleveland for Andrew Wiggins trade is still in flux. Nothing can be done officially until Aug. 23 anyway — the soonest Wiggins can be moved because of a 30-day moratorium after signing his rookie contract —and if you think the sides are going to reach an agreement in that window then just sit on their hands and not try to leverage more out of it, well, you’ve never really watched NBA trades go down. Everyone needs a deadline or pressure to pull the trigger.
Most reports say the talks have stalled, at least at the highest levels, the guys who can pull the trigger. That said, lower level conversations are always going on. Minnesota would like to unload either J.J. Barea or Kevin Martin and their deals in this, even if it takes a third team, and they are trying to find a way.
The crux of the trade appears to have the Cavaliers sending Wiggins, forward Anthony Bennett and a 2018 first-round pick to Minnesota for Love and possibly forward Corey Brewer. The Timberwolves might want to dump point guard J.J. Barea’s $4.5 million contract in a deal.
Not might, do. Which is one reason this I see as more rumor than report.
Brewer would be a nice bit of depth added to Cleveland, an athletic, slashing small forward who scored 12.3 points a game with a quality true shooting percentage of .550 last season. He’s not a guy you are going to pair a lot with LeBron James because he doesn’t space the floor (28 percent from three last season) but he would be a good energy guy to use for 20 minutes a night while LeBron sits.
Brewer would be a good fit going back to Minny in this deal.
But as noted above I would take this with a grain of salt, the News Herald report says a framework is done on the deal but nobody else is saying that, and certainly nobody out of Minnesota. I’m sure people in Cleveland and sources in the organization would like to think they have a framework, but Flip Saunders is going to try and squeeze every last drop of blood from this stone.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15