Aug 1, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
There is no reason to doubt this. Irving has said multiple times on the record how happy LeBron signing in Cleveland made him, and there’s also the common-sense argument. Who wouldn’t want to play with LeBron?
But LeBron also brings a level of attention Irving, who has never made the playoffs, hadn’t experience before – and that has drawbacks.
Irving, via Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report:
“The excitement has kind of died down, because I’m getting asked this question a whole bunch,” he said with a chuckle Wednesday at another LeBron query. “Like I can’t smile anymore when I say, ‘I’m pretty happy.'”
Thankfully for Irving, there’s a cure for LeBron fatigue – playing with LeBron.
When he gets more room in the pick-and-roll because LeBron is setting the screen, Irving will smile. When he gets less flack for his defense because LeBron is helping to apply pressure, Irving will smile. When he’s sitting in the locker room after wins, Irving will smile.
In the end, all these LeBron questions will be well worth the upside. Irving knows that, even if he’s dealing with the downside right now.
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 0
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 0
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 18
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2
- Hawks eliminate Nets from playoffs with blowout victory in Game 6 9