Kyrie Irving already has LeBron James fatigue

Aug 1, 2014, 12:25 PM EST

Kyrie Irving is excited to play with LeBron James.

There is no reason to doubt this. Irving has said multiple times on the record how happy LeBron signing in Cleveland made him, and there’s also the common-sense argument. Who wouldn’t want to play with LeBron?

But LeBron also brings a  level of attention Irving, who has never made the playoffs, hadn’t experience before – and that has drawbacks.

Irving, via Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report:

“The excitement has kind of died down, because I’m getting asked this question a whole bunch,” he said with a chuckle Wednesday at another LeBron query. “Like I can’t smile anymore when I say, ‘I’m pretty happy.’”

I understand Irving’s sentiment. I bet some you, who read many LeBron posts on this very site, do too.

Thankfully for Irving, there’s a cure for LeBron fatigue – playing with LeBron.

When he gets more room in the pick-and-roll because LeBron is setting the screen, Irving will smile. When he gets less flack for his defense because LeBron is helping to apply pressure, Irving will smile. When he’s sitting in the locker room after wins, Irving will smile.

In the end, all these LeBron questions will be well worth the upside. Irving knows that, even if he’s dealing with the downside right now.

1. balsagna - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM

As a Cavs fan I have yet to get tired of reading anything about Lebron and his return to Cleveland. I still feel like I am dreaming honestly, this stuff never happens to us.

• antistratfordian - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM

That’s awesome. We’re all happy for you guys.

• romestar82 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:58 PM

How happy are you guys

• sonnysuave - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I’m a Bulls fan… but I have to admit it’s endearing when a sports fan’s dreams come true, and expresses sincere & humble gratefulness.

• jebdamone - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM

i can only imagine. im honestly happy for the fans of cleveland.

• cbking05 - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I hope for a happy ending

• geejon - Aug 1, 2014 at 2:16 PM

That’s why you should prepare yourself for the worst case scenario, which is giving up Wiggins, Bennett and 2 1st rounders for Love, who word has it will NOT opt-in of the final year of his deal, and then watching him leave a year later to join the Lakers (where for the past year everyone who knows him has said he wants to end up).

Not saying it WILL happen, but it’s a very real possibility. You’ll then be left with Lebron, Irving, and Waiters a year away from bolting himself, and a kinda messy situation.

• campcouch - Aug 1, 2014 at 8:33 PM

So,why didn’t Love just ride out his final year in Minnesota and walk away? Or better yet,force his way to LA in exchange for the #7 pick and tickets to Dodger games? That would’ve been easier than going to Cleveland for a year, then moving to LA with Kobe for a year, then playing with Randle and…who are we kidding,the T-Wolves have a better team with Love than the Lakers with Kobe.

2. azarkhan - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Kyrie, join the club.

3. tv63 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Sounds like a GOOD problem to have!

4. 00maltliquor - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I honestly feel like deep down he may be bitter. Not saying this is what I’m getting from from this, but as soon as LBJ came back I’ve thought of this. Kyrie seems, too me, like a kind of selfish guy, someone who demands the spotlight on him all the time. With the games best active player now there, and add on top of another new #1 pick with astronomical potential, Kyrie could now have gone from #1 to #3 basically overnight. That may not sit well with him. Just my opinion.

• 6thsense10 - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM

What has Kyrie done or said to leave you the impression that he’s a selfish guy?

• balsagna - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM

That’s part of the fun. The team, however it is constructed, will be an unknown until they take the court. Add in the unknown that is David Blatt and we pretty much have a blank slate for expectations of how the team will play. It’s easy to say that Blatt wants a ball movement offense, but we have some ball dominant players on this team, and who knows how it’s going to go. I will say this in regard to Kyrie: he had no chance to compete for a title on the Cavaliers without Lebron. Wiggins is about as raw as it gets, and the rest of the roster is comprised of good to middling role players…if he had any aspirations of competing for titles he has to accept the change in dynamic that Lebron brings. I think he welcomes it. This move will only increase Kyrie’s brand, and at the end of the day that’s important in the modern NBA. Kyrie will be a household name, and probably be voted an all star starter (important contractually) from the bandwagon Lebron fans voting for Cavaliers players.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Oh, and it WILL be fun, that’s for sure! I honestly can’t wait to see the product. It’s kinda wierd, but IDK what I was/am more excited about to see, when LBJ formed the then megagroup of him, Wade and Bosh, or to see him with the Cavaliers AGAIN with Wiggy and Irving.

Honestly doesn’t really matter what Blatt does. He could be anything from Gregg Popovich to Vinny Del Negro to Mike Brown, it wouldn’t matter, he has LBJ to cover his mistakes and possibly hand him a COtY without having so much as to lift a finger.

5. 00maltliquor - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Anti doesn’t understand what “LeBron fatigue” is. That word combination is foriegn to him.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Only LeBron stans fail to get tired of hearing his name 24/7, even in ways that are completely irrelevant to him. It wears on your nerves. And then you get mislabeled as a “hater” even when you are a FAN OF THE GUY. Enough already. Let him breathe, and let US breathe. There are too many players and too many other stories that can be elucidated upon than to tell us every little thing that LeBron does, or trying to force parallels to him that don’t exist.

• balsagna - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM

In case you missed the decision 1.0 and 2.0 it’s hard for me to imagine Lebron doesn’t like his name in the media 24/7. I think, if anything, he craves the attention.

• sonnysuave - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM

God forbid Lebron has a career-ending injury… but if it does happen, Anti would have nothing to live for anymore! Life wouldn’t have meaning…

6. jaydm84 - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM

People from Cleveland are so dellusional. The losingest sports city in the world will remain that way. I don’t see the Cavs roster as an upgrade, they are just younger and have scarce playoff experience outside LeBron. Have fun playing 2k.

• campcouch - Aug 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Wooo brother. CLEVELAND fans are far from delusional. Sure,we do like every other fanbase and believe we’ll win something, but we’ve experience heartbreak from all three franchises that no other city can claim. We start off undefeated every year with the Browns and when the AFC North is all 0-1, we’re tied for first place. Heck, we celebrated the Tribe getting a one game wildcard slot like we won the division. It’s not delusion, it’s hope and love of teams that reflect some people’s lives. Struggle, meet some success, slapped with failure and then get up and try again.

7. jzone954 - Aug 1, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I mean when you look at it who’s more luckier then Cleveland and their fanbase? They drafted Lebron, when he leaves they get like 10 #1 over picks, then Lebron comes back, I mean hello!

8. pmpott - Aug 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I already have autoplay fatigue

9. haaaaasoooooo - Aug 1, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Oh man. I feel soooooo sorry for little Kyrie.

10. cueghost - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Cavs aint all that… everyone wants to throw them right in the Finals, but they have a rude awakening coming next year when Kyrie and LeBron knock heads all year and LeBron opts out after one year to go play for Phil in New York! LOL

11. 1historian - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:56 PM

LeBronfatigue has different effects on different people.

The only possible way of avoiding it for some people is to ignore him for a while. Believe me he is ignoring you so just give it a rest for a while. If the Cavs are going to trade Wiggins they can’t do it for at least a few more weeks so just let it rest.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches