Derrick Rose: Bulls are more talented than at any point in his career

Aug 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

NBA Cares All-Star Day of Service NBA Cares All-Star Day of Service

Derrick Rose has reportedly patched up his beef with the Chicago Bulls.

Or it never existed in the first place.

The Rose-Bulls saga has been tough to read, because there has been so much innuendo with few – even under the cloak of anonymity – direct complaints. Have Rose’s injuries led to discord? What sides do ownership, the front office, coaches and other players take? As far as rifts, this one is mostly blurry.

But there was one exception: Derrick Rose’s brother complaining on the record the Bulls hadn’t built a good enough supporting cast around the point guard.

Considering that’s the strongest indication we have of a divide between Rose’s camp and the Bulls, maybe we don’t need to look too deeply into why Rose and the Bulls are on such good terms. The answer might be pretty simple.

Chicago had a good offseason.

Pau Gasol, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott are impressive additions to a team that already includes Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson, Jimmy Butler and Mike Dunleavy.

Rose can work with that.

Rose, via Nick Friedell of ESPN:

“I think this is the most talented team I’ve played on in my NBA career to tell you the truth,” Rose said after Team USA’s practice on Wednesday. “With all the players that I have, with the experience that everybody’s bringing to the table. And the way that everybody’s working out individually during the offseason and what I’ve been hearing.”

Rose is pleased with the efforts made by general manager Gar Forman and executive VP John Paxson in upgrading the roster.

“I have that sense that they went for it,” Rose said. “That they gave their all. We got who we could get and who wanted to come. And that’s who we have to ride with. We have a lot of confidence in the players that we just signed and we know that the guys that’s already there is working out very hard. So it’s just a matter of getting in the gym, working out together, jelling very quickly, since we’re not going overseas early.”

Rose has played for a team a team that went 50-16 and another that went 62-20 and reached the conference finals. Could this edition of the Bulls really surpass those two?

In terms of talent, maybe. One of those prior teams started Keith Bogans, and the other started Ronnie Brewer. Whether you consider Jimmy Butler or Mike Dunleavy the weak starter, he’s better than Bogans and Brewer.

However, there are diminishing returns on a team that features four solid big men. Ninety-six minutes might not be enough for Noah, Gasol, Gibson and Mirotic, and I doubt any of them can play the three with any regularity. Plus, Mirotic and McDermott might need time to adjust to the NBA – not a knock on their talent, just their readiness.

Undoubtedly, the Bulls are talented. How many wins that eventually translates into and how quickly Chicago reaches peak form are yet to be determined.

Of course, Rose’s health is the lynchpin. His brother can complain about the Bulls’ supporting cast and Rose can praise it all they want. Chicago isn’t reaching its highest goals unless Rose is healthy.

Without him, they’re not nearly talented enough.

1. duhwighthoward - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM

“Chicago’s isn’t reaching its highest goals…”

I guess a degree from the University of Michigan is essentially worthless.

2. saint1997 - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM

If Mirotic is as good as advertised, it seems that the Bulls could get a logjam at the 4. Unless Gibson can play the backup 5 role, I am guessing at some point they’ll have to trade one of them. I think McDermott will start by the end of the year, maybe a trade of Mirotic to Sacramento for say McLemore for bolstering the 2 guard spot. That said, they could find a way to run the frontcourt without doing that

3. imakcds - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Chicago is going to see a rebirth of Pau Gasol, playing with a frontline that complements his playing style, and I think Chicago is going to very happy with him.
    and I hate to see him go, but I’m happy for him, he deserves much better than the torment he got the last couple years in LA.

4. milkman1989 - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Cant argue with him on that front and all the time in free agency i thought it would be better to go after Gasol and not Anthony for salary cap issues along with other things, Anyways sorry to be that guy again, my daily spam:

Please help. I’m doing a dissertation on the NBA focusing on its lack of competitiveness. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could you answer my questionnaire, its only 4 short questions and i promise it will only take 1 minute max. Here is the link and I will be very grateful to the community on here. Sorry for spamming the posts and THANKS guys: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RBYGLL2

5. antistratfordian - Aug 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM

That’s not saying much. They replaced Boozer with Gasol – pretty much broke even there. Added some rookies… meh.

• paleihe - Aug 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Gasol is vastly better than Booz.

• antistratfordian - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Well Booz of last year, sure. But he’s about the same as Booz from 2012.

• shanelsweet - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Well, he was much better, but he hasn’t looked all that quick lately. And, counting on a couple of rookies just seems sketchy.

• chicitybulls - Aug 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I dont think they’re counting on the rooks to fill a major role. Just play a role. Snell looked really good in summer league too (yes, I know it’s just summer league but still) so maybe he makes a step. I like the depth on this team.

• mrhonorama - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:17 PM

The Bulls greatest need was shooting and getting McDermott and Mirotic was a real plus. I think they will adjust pretty quickly and get some burn. Gasol will be a better fit for the Bulls than Boozer was and his length alone will make him an improvement over Booz defensively. The wing depth could be better, so Tony Snell’s development could be key. This was a 48 win team last year and the offense should get back up to the levels of a few years ago, making this team a contender. (Of course, it’s all dependent on Rose staying healthy).

6. csbanter - Aug 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Rose just needs to prove he is alright. No one wants to hear about the Bulls being great in august.

7. rajbais - Aug 1, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I know why, Gasol > Boozer.

A 7-foot scorer is always better than an alleged 6’9″ scorer rumored to be 6’7″.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches