Chris Bosh says he was ‘close’ to leaving the Heat in free agency

Aug 1, 2014, 12:05 AM EST

Chris Bosh AP

The Miami Heat have represented the Eastern Conference in the NBA Finals for each of the last four seasons, but that obviously is likely to change now that LeBron James has left to return home to Cleveland in order to once again play for the Cavaliers.

Miami managed to bring back a more than reasonable roster under the circumstances, signing Luol Deng and Josh McRoberts in free agency, in addition to re-signing Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh on multi-year deals to return to the Heat.

But at least in Bosh’s case, a return was anything but a foregone conclusion.

From ESPN.com:

Chris Bosh said Thursday that he was “close” to leaving the Miami Heat before ultimately deciding to sign a five-year, $118 million contract to stay with the team.

“It was close. I’m not going to lie,” Bosh said on “The Zaslow and Joy Show” on FM 104.3 The Ticket in Miami. “It was close. It was a weird situation because we were waiting so long and I didn’t know what was going on.

“I think you’re always in a situation where it is close even if you don’t leave because teams got very aggressive on me. And I guess as soon as LeBron made up his mind, that’s when everything could fall in line. But I was just waiting, so I didn’t know what was going on.”

Bosh had a max contract offer from the Rockets on the table, one that was so legit that Houston cleared cap space by getting rid of Jeremy Lin in order to sign him, with no guarantees that Bosh would commit to coming to Houston.

But Bosh had maintained that he wanted to remain in Miami with or without LeBron, and once the Heat lost the game’s best player and came at Bosh with a max contract offer to stay in town, that made his decision one that was easier than expected.

1. cmart0907 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Who cares anymore? He signed the extension with the Heat now lets move on.

2. skins26portis - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM

So, I was close to winning a jackpot on the slot machine in Las Vegas.

3. 00maltliquor - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Yeah. Uh huh.

Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M., get the money. Dolla dolla bills y’all.

• 5xchamp24 - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Your acronym is corny, Y.A.I.C.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM

It’s not mine, it’s Wu-Tang’s. You’re corny for not even knowing that.

• muhangis - Aug 2, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Wow 5xchump and his dumb self is back.. here we go

4. saint1997 - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM

The parity and increased talent in the east will make the NBA even more enjoyable next year

5. antistratfordian - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Of course he was… until he saw nine figures from Riley. But Heat fans have been talking a lot about “loyalty over royalty” recently, and including Bosh in that whole posture – but he doesn’t belong there. In his case it was funds over fidelity.

6. rrhoe - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Bosh has been making the same money if not more than Lebron for the past four years and then “really” cashed in upon his departure. I guess the Heat did what they had to do to retain him,but what gets me is the notion that he had to sacrifice his game for LeBron and now that he’s gone he’s ready to put the team on his shoulders,sounds good. Unfortunately,alot of things that came out of Bosh’s mouth over the last four years sounded good also but with very little to back it up.

7. losntina69 - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:17 AM

I am sure he was close to leaving the heat, your telling me that he picked to stay in Miami to play with a broken DWade and nobody else over playing with Howard and Harden???? In the words of Ed Lover C’mon Son

8. borisalessandri - Aug 1, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I’m sure he didn’t want to be another’s team Third Banana. Not only is the money great but he gets to be the main option now. We’ll see how that new role works out for him

9. rodyaugu - Aug 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I’m a big heat fan, but one guy I was never a big fan of was Bosh. I always feel that he never play hard enough, never fight for rebounds because he knew he had the best player in his team that can do everything. The only times I see this man play his heart out is when the heat are in must win games. Usually the heat find themselves in those situations, because of how he gets manhandled by opposing team big men to the point of letting up.

• duhwighthoward - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:26 PM

An equitable statement if there ever was one.

10. bknowledge - Aug 1, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Last year Wade didn’t get the “And 1 charge/flop”.
    League is gonna give him it this year so we have drama during the Heat/Cavs playoff series…(Cavs win).

What is the Heat gonna do for pg now that Lebron is gone? Time for Rio to show up/put his money where his mouth is…

• gpatrick15 - Aug 1, 2014 at 10:25 AM

He’d have to remove the fork from his mouth first.

11. jsala02 - Aug 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM

just like Melo, he took the money over winning

• justorion - Aug 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Yea, except he won…twice, now all he needs is the money to go with his rings.

• 5xchamp24 - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Sometimes people say things just to talk, but they dont make sense. He already won 2 titles, why cant he take the money now?

12. jollyjoker2 - Aug 2, 2014 at 12:48 AM

always take the cash — in 5 years, no one will remember you anyway.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches