Must watch video: Durant, Harden, George play “king of the hill” after practice

Jul 31, 2014, 4:31 PM EST

LAS VEGAS — I was hoping someone would cut and post up this video, because it was flat-out amazing to watch in person. It stopped the room.

After Day 3 of Team USA practice in Las Vegas Kevin Durant, Paul George and James Harden played a little “king of the hill” (a three-way game of one-on-one). These guys are long and a couple of them are good defenders, but when Durant drives or Harden hits a step-back three, there is nothing anyone can do.

Watch this and remember why you love basketball.

1. tfoz5150 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:47 PM

What a letdown.

• RavenzGunnerz - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Must watch!!!

• 4thquartermagic - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Guess it was one of those “I guess you had to be there” kind of things.

• antistratfordian - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, no kidding.

2. miamiHeatlesnotBeatles - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Nba is the best sport out there right now.

• 4thquartermagic - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Based purely only what? Your own opinion? Because the ratings say otherwise.

I enjoy b-ball but NFL, with it’s lack of super teams and legitimate parity, is a much better product.

• chicitybulls - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Ehhh. Dont get me wrong, I like football….a lot. I’m watching every weekend (NFL RedZone is the best thing going) but ratings really dont tell the whole story. There’s a lot of factors when dealing with football (fantasy, gambling, etc). Sometimes you get overkill with football…like how espn pushes every red sox/yankees series whether the teams are good or not. They’re not as bad as they used to be but still pretty bad.

• 6thsense10 - Jul 31, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I

After the world cup how can anyone say any sport other than soccer is the best out there? Oh yes….this ‘Murica. We have no use for the rest of the world.

• apkyletexas - Jul 31, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Up until a couple of years ago I was a big NFL and college football fan for nearly 40 years, but the NBA and MLB have definitely supplanted it for me. The “peek behind the curtains” we’ve been getting from the allegations in the concussion lawsuits has killed any enthusiasm I had for the sport. In reality it’s just a dirty, dirty business.

• 4thquartermagic - Aug 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I can respect that take. Steroids in baseball is what killed my enthusiasm. If they let everybody juice, I’d tune in… Maybe. Baseball is just so visually un-engaging. Even a “no-hitter” is tedious to watch the whole way through.

• RavenzGunnerz - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Should have said “Basketball”, but I think NBA has ways to go to even be in convo with the NFL. 16 games of do or die can’t be matched.

But, I love basketball. It’s a sport that is actually fun to play. I wouldn’t spend my summer playing football (american), or baseball.

• savvybynature - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Basketball is super fun to play, that is definitely part of the appeal, and it doesn’t take a big investment in equipment to get a game going.
        As far as football, it used to be the best sport to watch, but honestly, it has become so slooooowww that I don’t enjoy it nearly as much as I used to. It’s nearly as bad as baseball now in terms of pace. A bunch of penalties and nothing happening for large stretches of the game. If it wasn’t for fantasy, my interest would be seriously waning, and I suspect that’s true for lots of fans.

3. lazegowizfan95 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:57 PM

When those point guards ganna get that game of 21 that would be entertaining Rose,Wall,Lillard,Kyrie, and Curry that needs to happen asap.

• chicitybulls - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Yes, now if that happens somebody definitely should post that.

• dominus247 - Jul 31, 2014 at 10:53 PM

At the level that those guys play, somebody is bound to get hurt, but not rooting against the idea. That would amazing to watch.

4. stayhigh_247 - Jul 31, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Gold is in sight!

5. money2long - Jul 31, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Kobe would SO own anyone in his path in this game.

• cramsinned - Jul 31, 2014 at 6:27 PM

and then you woke up…

6. au1978 - Jul 31, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Harden was looking like he was trying to play defense.

7. dablakdrphil - Jul 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM

USA!!! USA!! and hey maybe Harden just might learn a thing or two about playing defense for once and his wild flopping could stop

8. antistratfordian - Jul 31, 2014 at 8:05 PM

What’s so amazing about watching three guys play one on one?

• bball242322 - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:01 PM

3 of the best players in the world is what’s amazing about it

• antistratfordian - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Still quite some distance from amazing.

9. mackcarrington - Jul 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM

The secret to making a great film is in the editing.

10. 00maltliquor - Jul 31, 2014 at 11:07 PM

A three-way game of one on one called King of the Hill? In my days we called that 21.

• eopanther8 - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Lol that’s a completely different game

• 00maltliquor - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Please, explain to me the difference.
        What is it, 21 without the 3 possible free throw attempts after a made bucket?

11. sixerstrong - Aug 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM

That shoulder fake by Harden is just incredible. I can’t stand the guy’s overall game, but his offensive talent is undeniable.

12. kaspauf - Aug 1, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Is this basically just ’21’? Never heard of King of the Hill.

• bkbell3 - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM

21 is everyone against everyone and if you make a shot you get to shoot 3 free throws then you take it out again. But really only a punk would shoot free throws you are supposed to take them from the top of the key. In this king of the hill you score you stay and another guy rotates in and it’s just one on one. In 21 if you have 5 or 6 guys playing it’s one on five or six

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches