If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
The soonest the Summer of Love could come to an end and Kevin Love would be traded is likely Aug. 23. (That assumes he is going to Cleveland in a deal for Andrew Wiggins, which is the prevailing belief among those around the league.) Wiggins signed his rookie contract and there is a 30-day moratorium on trading him once that happens.
The USA opens the FIBA World Cup Aug. 30 taking on Finland.
That’s a one-week gap. It’s not a likely scenario, Minnesota has been in no rush to make a deal, but if they do USA Basketball Jerry Colangelo said the door is open to a return. This year. Colangelo spoke with Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com.
“Technically it is possible,” Colangelo said to CSNNW.com following Day 4 of Team USA training camp. “But I have to weigh all of the considerations if I were to look at that. Is it fair to the guys who are here putting in the time and effort? How do the teams think about that after the fact? I don’t know. We’ll see how it plays out.
“I know it’s an option. I know it’s possible that he could play, but we’ll see.”
Love really wanted to play — he and Kevin Durant committed to this a year ago, but he had no idea he’s still be in trade limbo come the end of August. Love can’t risk an injury that would blow up his trade value.
But he was in tears when he had to call and ask out, Colangelo told Sam Amick of the USA Today.
“Team or teams, trade or no trade, he’s in a position where he had to say no and I respect that,” Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports. “I mean the guy almost cried on the phone when he told me he couldn’t play. He was really down. So can I be upset with him? No, of course not.”
The USA could certainly use Love in the front line rotation, playing some four and even some center.
That said, I have a better chance of taking over the “Thor” franchise from Chris Hemsworth than this does of becoming reality.
That is even if Love does get traded before the tournament starts — like Colangelo said, you’ve asked other guys to all go through this process, then to bump one for Love would be unfair.
Mike Krzyzewski has said all week he’s going to go with the guys that showed up and not worry about Love or Blake Griffin or LaMarcus Aldridge or the other guys not there. The group he’s got can win gold.
Love will be back in time for the Rio Olympics in a couple summers.
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 0
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20