Jul 31, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Just in case they don’t have enough borderline starters and second-round picks, the Bucks are fortifying their roster.
The Milwaukee Bucks have signed free agent guard Jerryd Bayless
The Milwaukee Bucks have signed second round draft pick Johnny O’Bryant
Bayless has played for the Celtics, Grizzlies, Raptors, New Orleans Hornets and Trail Blazers in his six-year career. I doubt he’s found a long-term fit with his sixth team.
Bayless, just 25, has regressed to the mean after a breakout 2011-12 season with the Raptors and solid play in Memphis the following year. His outside shot is solid, and he passes reasonably well. But in a crowded backcourt that also includes Giannis Antetokounmpo, O.J. Mayo, Brandon Knight, Nate Wolters and Kendall Marshall, Bayless might fall out of the rotation.
Or he might start.
Such is the life of a Buck, a club O’Bryant joins after being selected No. 36 in the draft.
Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
That’s probably an unguaranteed third year rather than a team option, but either way, O’Bryant did well for himself to get drafted slightly higher than expected and in the range where he could command two guaranteed seasons.
Bayless and O’Bryant give the Bucks 16 players – not including No. 31 pick Damien Inglis. The French forward told KL Chouinard of Bucksketball, “I’m moving to Milwaukee right after the Summer League.”
Chris Wright’s contract is fully unguaranteed, so Milwaukee could easily waive him to open a roster spot, but waiving Khris Middleton or Kendall Marshall (claimed off waivers from the Lakers) – two other players with fully unguaranteed contracts – wouldn’t be as painless.
So maybe Inglis is spending another year overseas, but if he’s still headed to Milwaukee, another shoe beyond the Bucks waiving Wright will have to drop.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15