Jul 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The NBA was reportedly trying to nudge Dick Bavetta into retirement in 2010.
Four years later, Bavetta is apparently ready to hang ‘em up.
Ailene Voisin of The Sacramento Bee:
It’s fitting Bavetta reffed four years longer than the league wanted. It just helps preserve my memory him as stubborn.
But, for better or worse, he was also a character, and if he’s retiring, the NBA loses part of its personality.
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 23
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 22
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 6
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 10
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2