Jul 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The NBA was reportedly trying to nudge Dick Bavetta into retirement in 2010.
Four years later, Bavetta is apparently ready to hang ‘em up.
Ailene Voisin of The Sacramento Bee:
It’s fitting Bavetta reffed four years longer than the league wanted. It just helps preserve my memory him as stubborn.
But, for better or worse, he was also a character, and if he’s retiring, the NBA loses part of its personality.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 10
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 8
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 14
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8