Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

LeBron James changed teams as a free agent in 2010 and 2014, and for something dozens of NBA players do ever year, his two moves were treated very differently.

He was vilified for The Decision, leaving Cleveland for Miami in 2010. In 2014, his Sports Illustrated letter went over extremely well.

Now, we have some numbers to support that perception.

LeBron has an E-Score of 80, double his low of 40 in July 2011, according to Darren Rovell of ESPN.

How does E-Score work? Rovell:

The company takes the opinions of 1,100 people, ages 13 and up that reflect a representative sampling of the U.S. population, in a poll and uses that data to give the more than 8,000 celebrities in its database an E-Score ranging from 0 to 100, with 100 being the most known, liked and appealing.

Here’s a history of LeBron’s E-Scores drawn from the chart accompanying Rovell’s article:

image

LeBron dipped to 47 after The Decision, and he’s on his way back to his pre-Decision high of 87. I think he’ll get there.

LeBron’s popularity is a fascinating topic, and it’s interesting to see how quickly people have turned in his favor since he announced his return to Cleveland.

He’s no longer the villain, and the numbers prove it.

1. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM

These headlines are so misleading sometimes(majority of the times)…

so 1100 people represent the millions of people in the US…not saying this isnt true, but how accurate could the NUMBERS really be??

• balsagna - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I think you’re fooling yourself if you don’t think Lebron has become more popular since the decision 2.0. I can’t really see how any rational person could formulate an argument contrary to that. This poll is a representation of the overal national sentiment towards Lebron post decision 2.0. The numbers or how exactly correct they are seems pretty meaningless to me.

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM

i never said i disagreed with the numbers, example i said “not saying this isnt true”.. i was moreso disagreeing with the fact that 1100 cant possibly be a big enough sample size to ensure the numbers are accuarate..

besides you said “I can’t really see how any rational person could formulate an argument contrary to that” my contration (is this a word?? lol) was not that james isnt more popular..it was really directed towards how misleading headlines are..

thanks for the reply though; i was really bored today lol. have a good one fam!

• campcouch - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM

no different than a TV viewership claim or a presidential popularity claim, it’s all about sampling demographics and applying that across the board.

• urodaddy07 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Most polls are done like this. I’m not sure, in this case, what numbers would constitute an adequate sample but I suspect this number is. Good polls typically have a greater than 95% probability of being predictive/accurate.

2. loungefly74 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:06 AM

the prodigal son has returned home. everybody loves a “redemption” story. If/when he wins a title in Cleveland…dare I say…his popularity status may reach that of MJ’s. I’m pulling for the kid.

• kavika6 - Jul 31, 2014 at 12:49 AM

“everybody loves a “redemption” story.”

Yet the best redemption story in a long time, the Spurs thrashing of the Heat in the Finals, seems almost forgotten after “The decision 2.0″.

3. campcouch - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I laughed at that pic because I know Bath and if those guys were a little browner,the cops would’ve been calling in “clobberin’ time” over the radio hahahaha.

4. remyje - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM

what’d he have for dinner last night?

i think i’ll just stick to PFT…. too much like ESPN over here….. too many charts and too many graphs

5. milkman1989 - Jul 30, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Guys please help. I’m doing a dissertation on the NBA focusing on its lack of competitiveness. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could you answer my questionnaire, its only 4 short questions and i promise it will only take 1 minute max. Here is the link and I will be very grateful to the community on here. Thanks guys: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RBYGLL2

6. areyesrn - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:06 AM

even though i’m a Sixers fan, it’s hard not to root for him and the Cavs. the past fews years, the Heat was more hated than the Yankees and Cowboys

7. jzone954 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Good for Lebron. I never got why the entire world hated the Miami Heat when all they did was sign 3 free agents.

8. dls612 - Jul 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Report shows pbt is more full of it than last year!

9. cantonbound13 - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I must say, I don’t dislike him anymore.

• soflasfinest - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Canton you’re a Mitch. A male b*itch. Such a goon.

• cantonbound13 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Awe, sounds like someone’s still upset. Don’t worry, you still have Mario Chalmers as your starting point guard, hahahaha!!!

10. imakcds - Jul 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM

look: I understand what a tremendous force he is on the court, but like Serena Williams, he’s shown me what he’s all about, and he reinforces that belief (like Serena) everytime he opens his mouth.
    Mount Rushmore, anyone???
    Can’t stand the jerk, I ain’t buying no kind of ‘Popular’ bee ess.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches