Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks
Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
Many NBA players participate in basketball events during the offseason. Professionals roll through The Drew League in Los Angeles all the time, and Jamal Crawford hosts an annual pro-am event in his hometown Seattle where he himself plays, often spectacularly.
Anthony Bennett, the number one overall pick in the 2013 draft and someone who looked sharp playing for the Cavaliers at Summer League in Las Vegas, similarly wanted to play in one of these events in his hometown of Toronto. But his agent pulled the plug, and it isn’t difficult to figure out the reason why.
Re: Anthony Bennett pulled from Toronto pro-am by agent…If anyone would know a Love trade nears, it’s Jeff Schwartz, who reps both players
Does this mean a Kevin Love deal between the Cavaliers and the Timberwolves involving Bennett is done?
Of course not.
But it does mean that the reported talks between the two sides are ongoing, and though a deal can’t be completed until 30 days after this year’s top pick Andrew Wiggins signed his contract, Bennett is likely to be one of the assets headed back to Minnesota if in fact a trade takes place.
It’s more than likely that Love will be traded sometime soon, which is why he made a late decision to pull out of USA Basketball this summer. But it’s not yet a certainty that the Cavaliers will be the winners in that sweepstakes. The Bulls are trying to come up with desirable pieces, and theoretically, the Warriors could get back involved if they decide that they can live with the defensive results of adding him to the roster.
If the Timberwolves decide that the offer put forth by the Cavaliers in exchange for Love is enough, it will more than likely include Bennett — which is why he can’t risk injury by participating in games until a deal for Love, either with Cleveland or with someone else, has finally been completed.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39