Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks
Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
Many NBA players participate in basketball events during the offseason. Professionals roll through The Drew League in Los Angeles all the time, and Jamal Crawford hosts an annual pro-am event in his hometown Seattle where he himself plays, often spectacularly.
Anthony Bennett, the number one overall pick in the 2013 draft and someone who looked sharp playing for the Cavaliers at Summer League in Las Vegas, similarly wanted to play in one of these events in his hometown of Toronto. But his agent pulled the plug, and it isn’t difficult to figure out the reason why.
Re: Anthony Bennett pulled from Toronto pro-am by agent…If anyone would know a Love trade nears, it’s Jeff Schwartz, who reps both players
Does this mean a Kevin Love deal between the Cavaliers and the Timberwolves involving Bennett is done?
Of course not.
But it does mean that the reported talks between the two sides are ongoing, and though a deal can’t be completed until 30 days after this year’s top pick Andrew Wiggins signed his contract, Bennett is likely to be one of the assets headed back to Minnesota if in fact a trade takes place.
It’s more than likely that Love will be traded sometime soon, which is why he made a late decision to pull out of USA Basketball this summer. But it’s not yet a certainty that the Cavaliers will be the winners in that sweepstakes. The Bulls are trying to come up with desirable pieces, and theoretically, the Warriors could get back involved if they decide that they can live with the defensive results of adding him to the roster.
If the Timberwolves decide that the offer put forth by the Cavaliers in exchange for Love is enough, it will more than likely include Bennett — which is why he can’t risk injury by participating in games until a deal for Love, either with Cleveland or with someone else, has finally been completed.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 7
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6